Lets Talk Metal
Aug 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #6,676 of 29,661
Quote:
Nice idea for contest! But I have never worn a corpse paint and I dont intent to. It would look dumb with my spiky hair anyway. I wonder how good that guitar amp is though. I've been looking for a suitable one for few days.

Didnt know Marshall made headphones too. Are they any good?

They are the same as the standard Marshall headphones, just painted black for extra angst. I wouldn't recommend a Marshall amp. I had a $1200 Marshall combo, and it sounded decent until half the cheap ass potentiometers stopped working properly. All you got aside from gain was just basic chrous and reverb, so you also had to bring an FX pedal if you wanted to experiment with different sounds. I got rid of my Marshall and got one of these, which I liked a lot better. All of the different sounds you want are right on the amp, and it never had a single problem.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #6,677 of 29,661
Quote:

They are the same as the standard Marshall headphones, just painted black for extra angst. I wouldn't recommend a Marshall amp. I had a $1200 Marshall combo, and it sounded decent until half the cheap ass potentiometers stopped working properly. All you got aside from gain was just basic chrous and reverb, so you also had to bring an FX pedal if you wanted to experiment with different sounds. I got rid of my Marshall and got one of these, which I liked a lot better. All of the different sounds you want are right on the amp, and it never had a single problem.

As a beginner I'm not going to spend 1000$ on an amp just yet. Hell, right now I just have 60€ Vox Pathfinder 10 which I bought in a hurry to have something portable on a week long trip.
biggrin.gif
But I've had my eyes on Peavey Bandit 112. My big bro has one and I think it sounds great, very nice distortion models and all. Only 275€ too.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #6,678 of 29,661
check out White Mice!

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #6,679 of 29,661
Bosse-De-Nage: A band from the San Francisco bay area whose identity, not unlike DSO, remains a total enigma. They've been deemed somewhat punk/post-rock/ "minimalist"black metal,  but their sound really flirts between the lines. Their latest album, I think, was phenomenal in just what a strange atmosphere they can conjure, what with the minimalist but effective guitar riffs and heart-wrenching screams (the vocalist can take some getting to used to, but whose lyrics are just... abstract and creepy). The best part of the band, in my opinion, is their drummer, who is absolutely relentless and extremely tight in his playing. The songwriting is very very tight, and the band really plays like a single entity. Here are two of my favorite songs from their latest album, "iii".

Excerpt: 
Twin brothers emerge from the dust. "Watch that man squatting in the corner" says the first. "Which man?" "The one who holds his head in his hands and whose tears flow like a river." "I don't see him, but I can feel his presence." "He is the source of our uneasiness. His name is Ennui."

Excerpt:
I see people walk on it and drive their cars past it. Dogs stop to piss on it. Nobody appears to notice it fleeting them, no one smells it, no one sees me watching it. Now old and fetid, but liberated and perpetual, it was a part of me.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #6,680 of 29,661
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all of the participators in this thread.  I had pretty much thought metal was dead or dying.  I was a metalhead in high-school (mid '90's), but didn't keep up with anything since.  So I have spent the last year catching up with what I missed, but wasn't impressed very often.  Thanks to this thread, I've discovered some music I missed and the european scene, which being a dumb american, I didn't realize existed.  My love of metal has been reawakened.  I have been lurking reading past posts (on page 136 now!) and I love the open discussions you guys have.  Judgmentalism, which in my opinion was always the biggest problem with metalheads, myself included, is kept in check.

Anyway, I guess the recent nostalgia pushed me to post since I loved a lot of those bands too.  Thanks for sharing!

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #6,681 of 29,661
Quote:
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all of the participators in this thread.  I had pretty much thought metal was dead or dying.  I was a metalhead in high-school (mid '90's), but didn't keep up with anything since.  So I have spent the last year catching up with what I missed, but wasn't impressed very often.  Thanks to this thread, I've discovered some music I missed and the european scene, which being a dumb american, I didn't realize existed.  My love of metal has been reawakened.  I have been lurking reading past posts (on page 136 now!) and I love the open discussions you guys have.  Judgmentalism, which in my opinion was always the biggest problem with metalheads, myself included, is kept in check.

Anyway, I guess the recent nostalgia pushed me to post since I loved a lot of those bands too.  Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! And metal is FAAAR from dead, infact I think its more alive than ever (thanks to the internet, maybe?). And I am not even counting in Metal/Deathcore and such spinoffs.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #6,683 of 29,661

So MaZa, that Smoke track was fantastic. Dare I say a bit Bolt Thrower-ish. The band split up but the two creative talents behind it formed Desecresy. Did you know that? Did you know have a new release this year and its wicked:

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #6,684 of 29,661
Quote:

Welcome! I remember being in college when I first discovered In Flames and Soilwork. "You mean there are metal bands Megadeth and Slayer!?" Lol. We've got November's Doom, Skeletonwitch, Animals As Leaders, Havok, Daylight Dies, Absu, Revocation, Allegaeon, OSI, etc, but for the most part Europe kicks our ass in metal.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #6,685 of 29,661
Opened up a Goat Bishop song in Audacity for fun today. This gave me a good laugh:

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #6,686 of 29,661
Took a while to sort through all the music recommendations. Thanks for them all, majority of them were great but because of my wallets current condition I dropped a few out and kept what I thought were the best.
Chimp Spanner
Dysrhythmia
Gru
and Behold... The Arctopus

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #6,689 of 29,661
Quote:
Opened up a Goat Bishop song in Audacity for fun today. This gave me a good laugh:

Someone got paid to do that. Someone went to work, did that, went home, and earned a paycheck for it. They should pay me instead, I'll do a POS master like that for ten bucks. All you have to do is turn every knob to maximum, then go to lunch.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #6,690 of 29,661
Quote:
Someone got paid to do that. Someone went to work, did that, went home, and earned a paycheck for it. They should pay me instead, I'll do a POS master like that for ten bucks. All you have to do is turn every knob to maximum, then go to lunch.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the music, but that's kind of the appeal... It's a really raw distorted sound, and I find it interesting as long as I'm not wearing revealing headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back