Lets Talk Metal
Nov 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #4,831 of 29,694

Quote:
When I was that age, it was all Seattle, all the time. Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden. I was never much of a fan of Nirvana though. I lumped The Smashing Pumpkins into that group, even though they weren't technically from Seattle. I also had Puppets and Justice, as well as Countdown To Extinction, RIP, and Peace Sells. I also had some Tool, NIN, and White Zombie albums, but I didn't know much about metal other than that I didn't really like Anthrax. 

With sites like Metalstorm and Youtube, today's kids have it way too easy. 

It was much more difficult for me. I had to take a bus, travel 20 miles and buy a recorded tape, yes a recorded tape...( A cassette recorded using a tape recorder from a Cassette which the owner bought from US)  of Death-Sounds of Perseverance for twice the price.

The album cover was an actual photograph of the real cover, stuck inside the cassette case.

Its way tooooo easy now...............

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #4,832 of 29,694
When I was that age, it was all Seattle, all the time. Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden. I was never much of a fan of Nirvana though. I lumped The Smashing Pumpkins into that group, even though they weren't technically from Seattle. I also had Puppets and Justice, as well as Countdown To Extinction, RIP, and Peace Sells. I also had some Tool, NIN, and White Zombie albums, but I didn't know much about metal other than that I didn't really like Anthrax. 

With sites like Metalstorm and Youtube, today's kids have it way too easy. 

We would have been musical buddies in our youth Dave. That pretty much sums up my experience when I was a teenager.

However, I loved Nirvana and thought practically everything after Ten was average to crap. And now I can't listen to any of these bands for more than 5-10 minutes.

Countdown, RIP and Youth for me were my staples. Don't really listen to these albums that much anymore.

And you are right, with all of the sites, blogs, and Spotify, its way easier to find awesome metal.

You know gents, we are getting to the point of starting to come up with our Best Of 2011 lists. Start thinking. Its been an amazing year.

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #4,833 of 29,694

Quote:
Too easy to find music? Is it a whole lot easier than it was then for you? Didn't you still have the internet (not sure how lang ago you were my age fyi)?

P.S. How DARE you mention youtube music in a high end audio forum! smh... lol

WAY easier now. I was a teenager in the '90s, probably had AOL but there wasn't much in the way of music on the internet. Youtube is great for sampling new albums and bands. Way better than Myspace, at least.

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #4,834 of 29,694

Quote:
Countdown, RIP and Youth for me were my staples. Don't really listen to these albums that much anymore.
And you are right, with all of the sites, blogs, and Spotify, its way easier to find awesome metal.
You know gents, we are getting to the point of starting to come up with our Best Of 2011 lists. Start thinking. Its been an amazing year.

I listen to those old albums less than I used to, but occasionally I still dig them out. Most of the CDs weren't well produced, but there are now HQ vinyl rips of albums like Vs. or Dirt which sound great. The vinyl rip of Superunknown is fantastic. July and Just Like Suicide are still some of my favorite songs.

2011 has indeed been a great year for metal, I'm going to have a tough time narrowing it down to just 10 or so.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #4,836 of 29,694
Hey guys, looking to buy some new 'phones. My experience with metal so far is just my SM PL11 and PL30. I have $100 to work with, and this MUST take into account shipping and tax.

I mostly listen to Prog/Power/Melodeath.

It doesn't matter too terribly much if it's IEM/Portable/Open/Circumaural.

I like my music to be in my face. Sennheiser's laid-back sound signature is ass on a ****stick.

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #4,837 of 29,694
Using youtube is better than spending a lot of time download high quality music files only to find out the album sucks. Its great for sampling what you want to get into or what you know you won't like.

Quote:
Too easy to find music? Is it a whole lot easier than it was then for you? Didn't you still have the internet (not sure how lang ago you were my age fyi)?

P.S. How DARE you mention youtube music in a high end audio forum! smh... lol

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #4,839 of 29,694
I use it for that sometimes, I was just being facetious.   :)

Quote:
Using youtube is better than spending a lot of time download high quality music files only to find out the album sucks. Its great for sampling what you want to get into or what you know you won't like.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #4,840 of 29,694

Quote:
Hey guys, looking to buy some new 'phones. My experience with metal so far is just my SM PL11 and PL30. I have $100 to work with, and this MUST take into account shipping and tax.

I like my music to be in my face. Sennheiser's laid-back sound signature is ass on a ****stick.

Grado's. You'd probably get a lot more feedback by posting in the equipment forum...

I agree on Disturbed being metal-pop, yet I still enjoy them occasionally. Sometimes it's nice just to relax with a catchy, easy to listen to album, and I think Disturbed does that pretty well while still remaining "metal".

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #4,841 of 29,694

Grado's. You'd probably get a lot more feedback by posting in the equipment forum...

I agree on Disturbed being metal-pop, yet I still enjoy them occasionally. Sometimes it's nice just to relax with a catchy, easy to listen to album, and I think Disturbed does that pretty well while still remaining "metal".

And the great thing about Disturbed and Godsmack is you only have to listen to two, maybe three songs, to pretty much sum up their entire body of work.

If they are not too uncomfortable, I agree that the SR80s are the best deal in that price range for metal.

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #4,842 of 29,694
Shut up and bring us opinions on Cormorant's Dwellings. :D

Quote:
And the great thing about Disturbed and Godsmack is you only have to listen to two, maybe three songs, to pretty much sum up their entire body of work.
If they are not too uncomfortable, I agree that the SR80s are the best deal in that price range for metal.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #4,843 of 29,694

Quote:

I guess so but I haven't listened to much metal so I don't know what you mean by "pop"

Quote:

I guess so. If you like some of their songs, then you are likely to like most of them, but there are some I'm not too fond of. I am not so fond of Godsmack last I listened (a long time ago) also. Does anyone here also think that Godsmack's singer looks like Hugh Jackman (when he was in the movie Swordfish)?

Also, would I like SR80s for metal vs Beyer DT770 Pro 80s? They sound fine for metal to me, I like their sound signature for metal, but I want more overall detail. What cans would fulfill that duty?

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #4,844 of 29,694

Quote:

Since Grado has already been mentioned a few times, I'll throw in the Creative Aurvana Live. Same OEM as the well liked Denon 1001, and its actually a bit better. The Balance is more neutral than the Grado, and its more comfortable. Good headphone for the money. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #4,845 of 29,694
I guess so but I haven't listened to much metal so I don't know what you mean by "pop"

I guess so. If you like some of their songs, then you are likely to like most of them, but there are some I'm not too fond of. I am not so fond of Godsmack last I listened (a long time ago) also. Does anyone here also think that Godsmack's singer looks like Hugh Jackman (when he was in the movie Swordfish)?

Also, would I like SR80s for metal vs Beyer DT770 Pro 80s? They sound fine for metal to me, I like their sound signature for metal, but I want more overall detail. What cans would fulfill that duty?

Just in general (I owned RS1's as my first high end can):

Grado != Detail

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back