Lets Talk Metal
Nov 22, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #4,801 of 29,701
So, speaking of major style departures...how about the new Cloudkicker albums?

Bummed, since I was hoping for an evolution of Beacons or ]]][[[. Still digesting both albums, but I didn't have that initial "wow" factor that I have had with previous releases.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #4,802 of 29,701
never posted or read this thread, but i got the new evanescence album today  (are they still considered metal?)   I own all their albums, and this one seems pretty good so far..

dont listen to metal nearly as much as i used to..   mainly a tool fan these days.. they will never leave my constant rotation because they are the best :wink:

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #4,803 of 29,701

Quote:

Bummed, since I was hoping for an evolution of Beacons or ]]][[[. Still digesting both albums, but I didn't have that initial "wow" factor that I have had with previous releases.

Was still a good album imo, but not at all what I was expecting. Honestly I dont know how many listens i'll get out of it. Good music to just relax to though.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #4,804 of 29,701

Quote:

It's different, it's basically the kind of music you relax to, in the sense of lying on a beach relaxing, or falling asleep.
Ben said in various interviews, that he will only make music as long as he feels hes making new, different material, so hopefully he will see this as a stepping into new territory, spreading his horizons, but not losing his groovy roots, we'll have to wait for the next release to see I guess. If I want to listen to something like beacons, nothing fills the gap like beacons. :]

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #4,805 of 29,701

Quote:

However, I didn't say that I didn't appreciate Opeth as musicians, hell they do it for a living, they are far better musicians than I'll ever be. But I didn't like this particular album, I found it uninspiring and didn't enjoy the melodies enough to be motivated to keep listening.

I've seen a number of posts like yours on various forums. Something along the lines of "No one sees how awesome this album it is, nobody hears what I hear or appreciates it." Ive always wondered if people like you actually truly loved the album to the point where they have it on repeat or they just see an opportunity to be anti-trend.

I admit, the melodies aren't that memorable, but I enjoy them, it's also nice, because it means the album tends to feel more new than it really is while listening, which is cool.
motivation for listening isn't an issue, I enjoy it, so hearing it till the end just seems natural, I'm never tempted to skip through sections, not that I ever do that with music I listen to really, I even tend to listen to the silence between tracks on those stupid 'hidden' bonus tracks.

You don't know me in person, but I'll try make it clear, I wouldn't defend something I didn't like. The only times I get sent out of class, are for arguing with teachers, over matters I have an opinion in, and I tend not to back down, just because I'm stubborn, People will never see the world through my eyes, and trying to explain what I see will always be difficult, as languages are so broad, and everyone draws different meaning from what they see and hear.  Strange world to live in, even stranger to explain to someone else.

Quote:
Haha, I don't think you even know what your talking about anymore. 

Wait, I agree with the part I highlighted. Let me settle something that you may think about me, I don't try to tear down the structure of music or over classify things, I've just found certain things in music that sounded cool, and learned how to play them from ear. 

I did state that I had ended up rambling about my inability to understand music, and myself in relation to music. I just left it as I thought it might help my understanding one day.

I enjoy listening to far more music than I enjoy playing. I will only play things that (to my ear) sound good, and are technically complex, or interesting, as it seems silly to play something simple if it doesn't sound really great. There are a few pieces that are very simple that I really love so learn anyway. but generally, its as above.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #4,806 of 29,701

Quote:
It's different, it's basically the kind of music you relax to, in the sense of lying on a beach relaxing, or falling asleep.
Ben said in various interviews, that he will only make music as long as he feels hes making new, different material, so hopefully he will see this as a stepping into new territory, spreading his horizons, but not losing his groovy roots, we'll have to wait for the next release to see I guess. If I want to listen to something like beacons, nothing fills the gap like beacons. :]

kinda reminds me of another album..........

:)

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #4,807 of 29,701
Motivation for is a problem for me, not only were the melodies not memorable I felt like the album was uninspired and lacked creativity, in my initial post where our discussion began I stated that I felt like it was a poor mans version of a Steven Wilson album. I definitely gave it a fair shot though, I listened to it from beginning to end around 10-15 times. I will continue to listen to the album as it comes up on my winamp shuffle so maybe one day i'll hear something that I like after all. When the album is worth it, I love those silent build ups too. It adds a lot of anticipation to transitions between songs. 

Explaining the world through your own eyes is only fun when the receiver similar in personality, interests and experience. Otherwise its a chore because you can so easily sound condescending (esp. since I'm stubborn too.) Recently had a discussion on why electronic dance music lacks complexity in their structure and composition and that's somehow an insult to an EDM enthusiast. Maybe it was my tone :p

Quote:
I admit, the melodies aren't that memorable, but I enjoy them, it's also nice, because it means the album tends to feel more new than it really is while listening, which is cool.
motivation for listening isn't an issue, I enjoy it, so hearing it till the end just seems natural, I'm never tempted to skip through sections, not that I ever do that with music I listen to really, I even tend to listen to the silence between tracks on those stupid 'hidden' bonus tracks.

You don't know me in person, but I'll try make it clear, I wouldn't defend something I didn't like. The only times I get sent out of class, are for arguing with teachers, over matters I have an opinion in, and I tend not to back down, just because I'm stubborn, People will never see the world through my eyes, and trying to explain what I see will always be difficult, as languages are so broad, and everyone draws different meaning from what they see and hear.  Strange world to live in, even stranger to explain to someone else.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #4,808 of 29,701
never posted or read this thread, but i got the new evanescence album today  (are they still considered metal?)   I own all their albums, and this one seems pretty good so far..

dont listen to metal nearly as much as i used to..   mainly a tool fan these days.. they will never leave my constant rotation because they are the best :wink:

You digging your JH3A yet? :)

BEWARE there is a viscous BME named Negakinu that lurks in this thread that will come to your home and shed goat's blood on your CDs and paint upside down crosses all over your place for mentioning bands like Evanescence.

Just some suggestions since you mentioned Evanescence: Have you listened to bands like Lacuna Coil, Epica, and Nightwish? I think most would agree they are a higher quality version of Evanescence.

No more Heritage talk please...you love it, you hate, whatever...

Anyone listen to Vektor's new one?

@Soup: I got my shipping notice for Dwellings from Arthur. Yee-haw.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #4,809 of 29,701

Quote:
BEWARE there is a viscous BME named Negakinu that lurks in this thread that will come to your home and shed goat's blood on your CDs and paint upside down crosses all over your place for mentioning bands like Evanescence.

This.
I will destroy you. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:

This.
I will destroy you. No smiley. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #4,810 of 29,701

Quote:

Were they ever considered metal? Trogdor already suggested looking into similar but higher quality (although Lacuna Coil doesn't really qualify as higher quality) music. I'll add a few more suggestions: Within Temptation, Delain, Tarja, and Leaves' Eyes. 

If you like Tool, check out Katatonia from 1999 up. Better in every way.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #4,811 of 29,701
I Love Black Future so I guess I'm excited by the promise of a new release. Is it the same?

No Quote:
You digging your JH3A yet? :)
Just some suggestions since you mentioned Evanescence: Have you listened to bands like Lucuna Coil, Epica, and Nightwish? I think most would agree they are a higher quality version of Evanescence.
Anyone listen to Vektor's new one?
@Soup: I got my shipping notice for Dwellings from Arthur. Yee-haw.

Oh and if you see a really strange half crazy guy kicking over trash cans on a street or alley by your house, that's me getting over my feeling about the new Opeth, cuz I'm done posting about it here.  

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #4,812 of 29,701
Were they ever considered metal? Trogdor already suggested looking into similar but higher quality (although Lacuna Coil doesn't really qualify as higher quality) music. I'll add a few more suggestions: Within Temptation, Delain, Tarja, and Leaves' Eyes. 

If you like Tool, check out Katatonia from 1999 up. Better in every way.

Agreed Dave. I really don't like any of these bands (hmmm, Within Temptation is actually not that bad and I have never heard of the last three - I lack expertise is in this area, for good reason!).

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #4,814 of 29,701

Quote:
Agreed Dave. I really don't like any of these bands (hmmm, Within Temptation is actually not that bad and I have never heard of the last three - I lack expertise is in this area, for good reason!).

Delain I've mentioned a few times as one of the very few symphonic metal bands I like. Tarja is Tarja Turunen's band, where she went after she left Nightwish. Leaves' Eyes adds a bit of folk and gothic elements. Hardly my favorite genre either, but compared to Evanescence...

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #4,815 of 29,701
If its just female fronted with a little bit of gothic mixed in, Ive always enjoyed old nightwish, epica (mainly their 2009 album "Design your universe") and old school tristania. Never really got into within temptation or leaves eyes.

One of my favorites:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back