Lets Talk Metal
Nov 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4,816 of 29,701
True story: Simone Simons auditioned for my band back in 1998. I knew her since she was in the same class as my girlfriend at the time. We didn't hire her. She couldn't sing back then. She ended up dating Mark from After Forever, who then got kicked out of After Forever and started Epica. Rest is history. My band disbanded in 2003 and Epica got huge. Typical. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #4,817 of 29,701
as speaking about headphones,categorizing subgenres sometimes could be really,really subjective.
the first album of system of a down could be absolutely categorized as new-metal album,trash influenced,even the word new-metal doesnt mean anything to me,i dont like head machine and bad stuff alike.
and even they have melodically evolved in time,their lyrics,differently from the generalized antichristian,satanic,bellical,ake epically and nordic "literature",still very political and militant.

surprised not reading about Krisium and Nile,to me the top of line on the moment in technical brutal metal.
George Kollias work deserve a good popularization,as Dennis Chamber skills in his own genre.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #4,819 of 29,701

Quote:
,i dont like head machine and bad stuff alike.

I may be a rigid BME now but man this track still blows me away. I got this album for Christmas back in 1994 and there's something about this album that's really special. The way the drums are recorded, the honesty of the lyrics, the flow of the music... I would actually call this album an "audiophile" metal album. (the Youtube link I posted sounds like crap though.)

All the later Machine Head albums never struck the same chord though and I lost interest in them pretty fast. Probably because Satyricon released Nemesis Divina and changed my life.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #4,820 of 29,701

I may be a rigid BME now but man this track still blows me away. I got this album for Christmas back in 1994 and there's something about this album that's really special. The way the drums are recorded, the honesty of the lyrics, the flow of the music... I would actually call this album an "audiophile" metal album. (the Youtube link I posted sounds like crap though.)

All the later Machine Head albums never struck the same chord though and I lost interest in them pretty fast. Probably because Satyricon released Nemesis Divina and changed my life.

Latest Machine Head rocks. Machine Head rocks. I am seeing Machine Head live. That will probably rock, reason? See previous statements.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #4,822 of 29,701

What is BME's opinion on ABM ? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #4,823 of 29,701

Quote:
The only metal I really like right now is Disturbed for the great, energetic vocals and guitar.

Interesting to see a disturbed fan.
I remember them being cool when I was 12-13, then they just lost all appeal, I've tried listening to them since, but they just sound like 'metal' pop music to me now :/

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #4,824 of 29,701
I'm 14 but still yeah i like them for those things. I lost my appeal to metal in general and I hadn't had a listening session in a while an I put that on and wow I just loved it all of a sudden. My musical tastes depend on the day now. One afternoon I started hating rock (Nickelback, Saving Abel etc) and I was all like What happened you know. I'm kinda trying to find what music I like at this point.

Quote:
Interesting to see a disturbed fan.
I remember them being cool when I was 12-13, then they just lost all appeal, I've tried listening to them since, but they just sound like 'metal' pop music to me now :/

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #4,825 of 29,701

Quote:
I'm 14 but still yeah i like them for those things. I lost my appeal to metal in general and I hadn't had a listening session in a while an I put that on and wow I just loved it all of a sudden. My musical tastes depend on the day now. One afternoon I started hating rock (Nickelback, Saving Abel etc) and I was all like What happened you know. I'm kinda trying to find what music I like at this point.

I listened to a Tape when I was 14-15, which gave me a different perspective... Death - Sounds of Perseverance

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #4,826 of 29,701

Quote:
I listened to a Tape when I was 14-15, which gave me a different perspective... Death - Sounds of Perseverance

Yes. Everyone needs to listen to Death, it'll set your music tastes straight.

Quote:

Just gotta keep listening, I was told by someone, that all music can be traced back to either Jazz, Classical, or 'world' music.
Eg. to get to rock, you go: Jazz --> Blues --> Rock.
So I guess those are places to start?
at 14 I was listening to ALOT of Muse. And various Alt. rock, indie stuff. as well as Metallica and Iron Maiden. At 15 I was listening to pretty much just metal, move forward to 17 and I'm now listening to Rock, Metal (mostly prog Metal), Alt. rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical, and even a tiny tiny bit of electronica dance stuff.
Basically, as you grow up, your tastes will grow with you. but as Six60 (New Zealand band (I'm from NZ) say, Don't forget your roots.
Even if you take a break from what you listen to now, in a month, or a year, or a decade, you'll go back adn enjoy all the music you like/liked now.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #4,827 of 29,701
Haha cool stuff, funny to read that she couldnt sing back in the days. Anyways even though I posted the songs, thats really the only one I like. Its not repetitive like most of their songs.

Quote:
True story: Simone Simons auditioned for my band back in 1998. I knew her since she was in the same class as my girlfriend at the time. We didn't hire her. She couldn't sing back then. She ended up dating Mark from After Forever, who then got kicked out of After Forever and started Epica. Rest is history. My band disbanded in 2003 and Epica got huge. Typical. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #4,828 of 29,701
Yes. Everyone needs to listen to Death, it'll set your music tastes straight.

Just gotta keep listening, I was told by someone, that all music can be traced back to either Jazz, Classical, or 'world' music.

Eg. to get to rock, you go: Jazz --> Blues --> Rock.

So I guess those are places to start?

at 14 I was listening to ALOT of Muse. And various Alt. rock, indie stuff. as well as Metallica and Iron Maiden. At 15 I was listening to pretty much just metal, move forward to 17 and I'm now listening to Rock, Metal (mostly prog Metal), Alt. rock, Jazz, Blues, Classical, and even a tiny tiny bit of electronica dance stuff.

Basically, as you grow up, your tastes will grow with you. but as Six60 (New Zealand band (I'm from NZ) say, Don't forget your roots.

Even if you take a break from what you listen to now, in a month, or a year, or a decade, you'll go back adn enjoy all the music you like/liked now.

Everyone goes through these phases. In the end, you eventually find what you like and what you don't.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #4,829 of 29,701

Quote:

When I was that age, it was all Seattle, all the time. Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden. I was never much of a fan of Nirvana though. I lumped The Smashing Pumpkins into that group, even though they weren't technically from Seattle. I also had Puppets and Justice, as well as Countdown To Extinction, RIP, and Peace Sells. I also had some Tool, NIN, and White Zombie albums, but I didn't know much about metal other than that I didn't really like Anthrax. 

With sites like Metalstorm and Youtube, today's kids have it way too easy. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #4,830 of 29,701
Too easy to find music? Is it a whole lot easier than it was then for you? Didn't you still have the internet (not sure how lang ago you were my age fyi)?

P.S. How DARE you mention youtube music in a high end audio forum! smh... lol

Quote:
When I was that age, it was all Seattle, all the time. Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden. I was never much of a fan of Nirvana though. I lumped The Smashing Pumpkins into that group, even though they weren't technically from Seattle. I also had Puppets and Justice, as well as Countdown To Extinction, RIP, and Peace Sells. I also had some Tool, NIN, and White Zombie albums, but I didn't know much about metal other than that I didn't really like Anthrax. 

With sites like Metalstorm and Youtube, today's kids have it way too easy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back