Lets Talk Metal
Nov 21, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #4,771 of 29,701

Quote:
 Do you listen to jazz at all dude?
you can listen to a jazz piece, and not think it has any structure, or thought gone into it. which is completely wrong.
it will usually be based around a chord progression, which may change key signature every bar, so the bass player usually plays a walking chromatic line, or arpeggiated line, that fits over the whole thing. from there, a solo instrument can play over, the chords are a guide, the player may only play one note from each chord, the soloist doesn't even need to play notes from the key he/she is playing in, they can be dissonant, clash and whatever they like, as long as they resolve the phrase onto a not of the chord, it will sound correct and flow in a followable manner.

Basically, just because you don't hear the chord being played, doesn't mean the piece isn't carefully structured, it simply means your not being spoon fed the chords of a song, they are being left out, so as to keep the feel, but give the player more freedom to express as musicians, by not being tied down by chords, and traditional melodies.

When you say the album lacked versatility, but flowed well, do you think that it is simple to take an hour long album, and make all the tracks flow, not only as tracks, but as a whole album, and still cover everything that any opeth album has?
Everything about Opeth is still in Heritage, just at different ratios, with the addition of piano too.

And I would be seriously amazed if you could have a half-engaged basement jam, and even come up with one song that has the level of thought, and arrangement of the songs off heritage, As a musician, I know songs just don't appear out of jams, maybe a rock song, or a pop song, but not something like opeth, the idea of for a song may come from a jam, but it's nigh on impossible to just jam out songs with the complexity present on Heritage.

BRAVO \m/

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #4,772 of 29,701
Opeth's new album sucks green donkey dicks! End of story.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #4,773 of 29,701
Hey Trogdor! its time to get freaking excited!!! PreOrders for Cormorant's new cd Dwellings start shipping today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #4,774 of 29,701

Quote:
Opeth's new album sucks green donkey dicks! End of story.

I don't know if your serious so i will take this seriously. I agree on the rating of a metal album. (it's not metal) but as a progressive rock album it's pretty good. Comparing this to old opeth is an unfair fight. They are 2 different genres of music. It's like those who hate metallica's load and reload era just because they did rock instead of metal. As rock albums load and reload are pretty good. But they get bashed because they aren't metallica's older style. Just because a band changed their style doesn't mean it's bad. In fact it shows to me a musician who is serious about his music and doesn't just make it for the fans or for profit. Props to opeth for making something new.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #4,775 of 29,701

Even though I wear an Absu logo pin on my jacket I must admit I haven't listened to anything after Tara. Just bought the new one on a whim, plugged in my headphones and haven't stopped headbanging ever since. Whan an album! Airtight musicianship, breakneck speeds, extremely well done, almost percussive vocals... Proscriptor's drumming is just phenomenal and the compositions flow beautifully, eventhough they're played at warpspeed. Definitely one for my "best of 2011" list.

My girlfriend thought I was going crazy when I burst out laughing, throwing horns maniacally while listening to this album for the first time. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #4,776 of 29,701
ABZU RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #4,777 of 29,701

Quote:
It's like those who hate metallica's load and reload era just because they did rock instead of metal. As rock albums load and reload are pretty good. But they get bashed because they aren't metallica's older style.

Wrong. Those are bad albums in any genre. They're lazy, boring efforts designed to appeal to a mainstream audience. Metallica didn't slow down and crap out to satisfy some inner artistic itch to play blues rock. They did it for a cash grab, and it worked.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #4,778 of 29,701

Quote:
Wrong. Those are bad albums in any genre. They're lazy, boring efforts designed to appeal to a mainstream audience. Metallica didn't slow down and crap out to satisfy some inner artistic itch to play blues rock. They did it for a cash grab, and it worked.

Other then the song fuel i never ever hear about load or reload metallica. If they did anything it was make metallica popular enough that the bought the more stable albums previous to it. There is a few songs on load and reload i like. You might not like it but i still find some artistic merit in it. This is coming from someone who loves the black album btw.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #4,779 of 29,701

Quote:
They're lazy, boring efforts designed to appeal to a mainstream audience. Metallica didn't slow down and crap out to satisfy some inner artistic itch to play blues rock. They did it for a cash grab, and it worked.

Reminds me of that band that used to be progressive death metal and went all snoozerock on us. You know, Opeth. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #4,780 of 29,701

Quote:
Other then the song fuel i never ever hear about load or reload metallica. If they did anything it was make metallica popular enough that the bought the more stable albums previous to it. There is a few songs on load and reload i like. You might not like it but i still find some artistic merit in it. This is coming from someone who loves the black album btw.

Oh come on. Really? You don't remember Until It Sleeps being played on MTV and the radio 23 hours a day? I do.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #4,781 of 29,701

Quote:
I don't know if your serious so i will take this seriously. I agree on the rating of a metal album. (it's not metal) but as a progressive rock album it's pretty good. Comparing this to old opeth is an unfair fight. They are 2 different genres of music. It's like those who hate metallica's load and reload era just because they did rock instead of metal. As rock albums load and reload are pretty good. But they get bashed because they aren't metallica's older style. Just because a band changed their style doesn't mean it's bad. In fact it shows to me a musician who is serious about his music and doesn't just make it for the fans or for profit. Props to opeth for making something new.

It's just a small artifact in their output I guess. But it's like seeing a 30 year old in a wheel-chair in a nursing home being fed crushed peas, when you know the guy is in perfect health.. They are/were able to do so much more! I have everything on CD they ever released and some on vinyl. When I really dialed my headphone rig in, Opeth was being played due to the SQ. I like everything they have ever done up to this point. For whatever reason, who knows, I hate it. I can't listen to it as a prog record because it's Opeth under it all. It would be like finding your Mom cross dressing as a man.

I still have old Opeth to listen to this week so all is well. They will most likely never make a good record again. I hope they return but it is really unlikely.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #4,782 of 29,701

Even though I wear an Absu logo pin on my jacket I must admit I haven't listened to anything after Tara. Just bought the new one on a whim, plugged in my headphones and haven't stopped headbanging ever since. Whan an album! Airtight musicianship, breakneck speeds, extremely well done, almost percussive vocals... Proscriptor's drumming is just phenomenal and the compositions flow beautifully, eventhough they're played at warpspeed. Definitely one for my "best of 2011" list.

My girlfriend thought I was going crazy when I burst out laughing, throwing horns maniacally while listening to this album for the first time. :bigsmile_face:

Negakinu gets an epic fail. Search thread, posted Absu a while back. AMG reviewed and also thought it was a best of 2011. Note one of the Absu band members (I think the guitarist) was handing out flyers at the Mayhem show.

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #4,783 of 29,701

Quote:
Negakinu gets an epic fail. Search thread, posted Absu a while back. AMG reviewed and also thought it was a best of 2011. Note one of the Absu band members (I think the guitarist) was handing out flyers at the Mayhem show.

I think it's important that I repost your posts, since most people tend to ignore yours. If I post it, it gives the whole thing more credibility, you know? Don't feel bad. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back