Lets Talk Metal
Jul 27, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #3,706 of 29,680

Quote:
new opeth.

i personally think it's alright but it is to much change for me. i like it but i think older opeth releases are much better.

your thoughts?

I think Opeth's Deep Purple worship is getting WAY out of hand. You guys are a METAL band, remember? I'll need to hear the rest of the album, but I am not loving this. I miss Under The Weeping Moon.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #3,707 of 29,680
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/430124/what-are-your-favorite-top-five-opeth-albums

Opeth!

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #3,708 of 29,680
**** Opeth records their **** really well man

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #3,709 of 29,680
i know i will get hate for this but i actually prefer Tool to Opeth. since they are both considered progressive i find tool is just overall a much better band.

i love Opeth but i still can't get into it as much as Tool.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #3,711 of 29,680
I have been buying metal vinyl and cd's for more than 15 years now (my first metal album was "Killers" by Iron Maiden. Bought it in 1993. I own close to 3000 releases now.) but have never bought or otherwise owned an Opeth release. Everyone has been saying I should get into them but I just can't relate to what they're doing. I mean, I love progressive music. I own the craziest prog vinyl (Univers Zero anyone?) and prefer avant garde/experimental metal in general but Opeth just didn't tick any boxes. The only thing I love related to Opeth is Bloodbath. :D 

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #3,712 of 29,680
You may like Orchid. In some ways they may have done all they needed to do on that record. A ruff and strange sound for Opeth that puts them in musically right along with what was going down at the time. Sounds like there is a chance you have heard it. I used to think they were kinda soft, then I started to like them. The one good thing is the SQ, if your after SQ.

Quote:
I have been buying metal vinyl and cd's for more than 15 years now (my first metal album was "Killers" by Iron Maiden. Bought it in 1993. I own close to 3000 releases now.) but have never bought or otherwise owned an Opeth release. Everyone has been saying I should get into them but I just can't relate to what they're doing. I mean, I love progressive music. I own the craziest prog vinyl (Univers Zero anyone?) and prefer avant garde/experimental metal in general but Opeth just didn't tick any boxes. The only thing I love related to Opeth is Bloodbath. :D 

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #3,713 of 29,680

Quote:
new opeth.

i personally think it's alright but it is to much change for me. i like it but i think older opeth releases are much better.

your thoughts?

>too much change

You do realize you are talking about Opeth, the PROGRESSIVE metal band right? Change is kind of their thing

As far as my favorite album from them it would have to be My Arms, Your Hearse

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #3,717 of 29,680

Quote:

I can relate to that..

I even prefer Tägtgren on vocals rather than Åkerfeldt in Bloodbath...

I find Opeth oh so boring...

Im more into the basic metal genres, but if it should be out of the ordinary then i go for this-->

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #3,718 of 29,680

Quote:
I can relate to that..

I even prefer Tägtgren on vocals rather than Åkerfeldt in Bloodbath...

I find Opeth oh so boring...

Im more into the basic metal genres, but if it should be out of the ordinary then i go for this-->

Good stuff! I bought Mesmerized back in 1997/1998. Excellent album and part of my youth. Thanks for reminding me to revisit them.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #3,719 of 29,680

Quote:
I think Opeth's Deep Purple worship is getting WAY out of hand. You guys are a METAL band, remember? I'll need to hear the rest of the album, but I am not loving this. I miss Under The Weeping Moon.

Yea, I don't mind them changing ("Progressive" Metal) but I would prefer they keep the "Metal". I don't know why Mikael hates the Prog Death era Opeth so much. I have a feeling by the next album they're going to cement themselves as a Prog Rock band.

Quote:
i know i will get hate for this but i actually prefer Tool to Opeth. since they are both considered progressive i find tool is just overall a much better band.

i love Opeth but i still can't get into it as much as Tool.

I tried super hard to get into both Opeth and Tool because I have quite a few friends who adore both. I never could get into Opeth until one day when I had some time off at school and sat down to listen to the entirety of Still Life, which had been on my iPhone for like a year. Something clicked in the middle of Moonlapse Vertigo and suddenly I was in love with Opeth.

As for Tool, I absolutely cannot get into them. I have a friend who loves all the prog stuff I do (Periphery, Opeth, Dream Theater, etc) and ranks Tool as his #1 band. He keeps tossing me track after track but I always find it boring. Maybe I'll give it one of their classic albums a shot ala Opeth.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #3,720 of 29,680
The reason I loved Opeth was because they could be "progressive" and stay heavy.  This newer stuff is good but isnt really doing it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back