Lets Talk Metal
Mar 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #2,806 of 29,660

Quote:
This can not be! Metalcore done right? Metalcore I actually like? Impossible. What do you get when you throw Muse, Bach, Meshuggah and Killswitch Engage in a blender? You get this.

Too bad about the wall of sound production though. 

Indeed, this is very impressing, when talking of hardcore.

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2,807 of 29,660
Posted by kiiskinen:

Raunchy - Death Pop Romance + Artwork.  Oh boy (facepalm), that can't be sillier...

BTW, I like The Human Abstract. They have some interesting songs. Definitely nice for a change.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #2,808 of 29,660

Quote:
Posted by kiiskinen:

Raunchy - Death Pop Romance + Artwork.  Oh boy (facepalm), that can't be sillier...

BTW, I like The Human Abstract. They have some interesting songs. Definitely nice for a change.

Just an observation, but why do metal people always seem to comment on the band name / album name / artwork rather than the song itself? Disliking the music is one thing, but commenting on the band / album name is... well, rather silly, wouldn't you agree?

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #2,811 of 29,660

Quote:
Just an observation, but why do metal people always seem to comment on the band name / album name / artwork rather than the song itself? Disliking the music is one thing, but commenting on the band / album name is... well, rather silly, wouldn't you agree?

I firmly believe that the visual esthetic of metal is almost as important as the music itself, moreso than any other genre. The visuals are important to help your band get noticed among the hordes of similars. The artwork and bandphotos are the first thing you see before actually checking the music. In essence, they can make or break you. 
normal_smile .gif
 When there is as much music available as there is today, you skim through bands and react on bandname and visuals first. It's marketing! 
normal_smile .gif

I know Raunchy quite well, a few of my friends really like them. They are too bland and formulaic for my personal taste though. Still, they do that pop-metal thing really well and are great musicians. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #2,814 of 29,660

Quote:

I firmly believe that the visual esthetic of metal is almost as important as the music itself, moreso than any other genre. The visuals are important to help your band get noticed among the hordes of similars. The artwork and bandphotos are the first thing you see before actually checking the music. In essence, they can make or break you. 
normal_smile%20.gif
 When there is as much music available as there is today, you skim through bands and react on bandname and visuals first. It's marketing! 
normal_smile%20.gif

I know Raunchy quite well, a few of my friends really like them. They are too bland and formulaic for my personal taste though. Still, they do that pop-metal thing really well and are great musicians. 

Fair enough. Cheers.

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #2,815 of 29,660

Quote:

normal_smile%20.gif
normal_smile%20.gif

Sure, you have to market yourself with a badass image in metal, but you don't really think the marketing is almost as important as the quality of the music do you?  I can't imagine so, or else you wouldn't be here.  :)  I'd rather listen to good '80s pop than bad metal (ie. my definition thereof), even if the bad metal came in badass packaging.

In other news from Finland, I listened to the new Turisas album last night and really enjoyed it.  If David Bowie decided to make a metal album with folk, Broadway, and hoser-rock influences, it would probably similar.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #2,816 of 29,660
A good name always helps. As negakinu said, artwork is part of the business. I appreciate it when it is well done. I will end up searching for more bands that have a good name and a good cover rather than the ones that sound silly or look that way.

However I always give them a chance. I listened to the song but it followed the expectations set by the name/cover. However you never know when you are going to be surprised. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back