Lets Talk Metal
Mar 8, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2,836 of 29,676

Quote:
The wall of noise I was referring to was poor audio tech's controlling the bands sound at a concert.  That has nothing to do with the actual music.  You can't analytically when all you hear is your ears being raped.  

Goddamn I hate that.  They crank the volume so loud that you lose your ability to hear treble before five minutes has elapsed!

It was such a welcome change to attend the Finnish Metal Tour and actually be able to hear the melodies because the soundwoman understood a few things about the ear's response to loud sounds.  I complimented her after the show.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #2,838 of 29,676

Quote:
Seeing Agalloch in 2 weeks, really stoked....

I am jelous...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2,839 of 29,676

Quote:
Anyone hear the new Bodom?  Apparently its kick-arse...I am still waiting for mine to ship!

Seeing Agalloch in 2 weeks, really stoked....

ya i heard the new bodom and i quite enjoy it. shovel knockout is a great song. the first 3 tracks on the album remind me of old bodom. but there is a lot of trash on the album.

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2,840 of 29,676

Quote:
ya i heard the new bodom and i quite enjoy it. shovel knockout is a great song. the first 3 tracks on the album remind me of old bodom. but there is a lot of trash on the album.

They shipped my deluxe edition today.  All the reviews I read are just stellar.  They say its A LOT better than the last album which was mediocre at best.  They two tunes I heard were pretty solid.  Hell even Angry Metal Guy likes the album!  (holy bejesus)

So far, new Moonsorrow, Omnium Gatherum, and Children of Bodom...Amon Amarth is around the corner too...

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,841 of 29,676
sounds great looks like i have something to look forward to.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2,842 of 29,676
New moonsorrow is pretty enjoyable. Gonna check out the new bodom soon too. 

Quote:

They shipped my deluxe edition today.  All the reviews I read are just stellar.  They say its A LOT better than the last album which was mediocre at best.  They two tunes I heard were pretty solid.  Hell even Angry Metal Guy likes the album!  (holy bejesus)

So far, new Moonsorrow, Omnium Gatherum, and Children of Bodom...Amon Amarth is around the corner too...

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #2,843 of 29,676
My parents were cleaning out their storage room the other day and found a bunch of old CDs of mine, and among them were 'Slaughter of the Soul' by At the Gates and 'Clandestine' by Entombed. I had to pop them both in for a listen, and I gotta say I still regard them two of the best death metal albums recorded to date. Anyone else listened to these back in the day? If you missed out, it's high time to get acquainted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoIB7D2u0jU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJme5uubkyQ

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #2,844 of 29,676

Quote:
My parents were cleaning out their storage room the other day and found a bunch of old CDs of mine, and among them were 'Slaughter of the Soul' by At the Gates and 'Clandestine' by Entombed. I had to pop them both in for a listen, and I gotta say I still regard them two of the best death metal albums recorded to date. Anyone else listened to these back in the day? If you missed out, it's high time to get acquainted!

i love at the gates. gothenberg metal ftw

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2,845 of 29,676
Mar 11, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #2,846 of 29,676

Quote:
Edit: why the screw don't they make metal like this anymore?! 

Because the colours fade more with each rinse.  There is nothing much really new and different in metal these days.  Largely a bunch of worn out cliches imo.

Clandestine was a cool album, back in the day.

Going to see Swans tomorrow night.  I think I'll be deaf for a month.

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #2,847 of 29,676
To my ears Opeth was the last band to bring something new and exciting to death metal, and they too ran out of great material after Deliverance/Damnation.

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #2,848 of 29,676

Quote:

I have allways considered Slaughter of the Soul to be the ultimate MDM album. Lindberg mastered MDM singing technique in this album, emotional, melodic, and yet brutal.

Thats my opinion.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #2,849 of 29,676
Have you guys heard of Kvelertak (I swear to god I'll never learn to spell this right)? I just did for the first time last week, and boy.. count me in, although the video isn't exactly my bowl cereal.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #2,850 of 29,676
Slaughter of the soul was incredibly influential in the development of MDM, but I don't necessarily still listen to it much these days. It's not a timeless album like Peace Sells, for example. I also think that most of the other At The Gates releases were frankly not that good. MDM as a genre may have gotten stale, partially because the riffs were co-opted by a hundred crappy metalcore bands. There are still great MDM releases coming out though, which can stand up to the likes of SOTS or Jester Race. 2010 was also a pretty average year in terms of release quality, which can make things seem worse than they really are. 2011 is already off to a smashing start, and we're not even that far in. Listen to Kalisia's Cybion and tell me that's been done to death already. I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back