Lets Talk Metal
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #2,866 of 29,653

Quote:
^you didn't just call Symphony X power metal did you? :| I completely agree that they're awesome though!

@negakinu: Thanks alot for your efforts! I think however that we're quite far apart in terms of taste. Do you perhaps know the name of an Arcturus tune that sounds very circus-y? That one always amused me greatly.

Seeing them next month with Nevermore....Iconclast should be out soon I think?

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #2,867 of 29,653
That's suggesting I already have expansive tastes, regarding metal I'm afraid it isn't so :)

Quote:
I could have suggested 80'ies thrash/death exclusively (check out Skeletonwitch for some awesome oldschool black/thrash! Think Aura Noir with a NWOBHM aftertaste) but I thought you were looking to expand on your tastes. 
wink_face.gif
 Hence my eclectic list. 

Should be any day now. Even though it doesn't really reach the heights of the earlier recordings I found 'Paradise Lost' quite enjoyable, so I've got atleast semi-high hopes for 'Iconoclast'.

Quote:
Seeing them next month with Nevermore....Iconclast should be out soon I think?

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #2,868 of 29,653
Got a couple of questions:

What are some awesome Metal internet radio stations?

Where can I buy digital Metal albums that aren't MP3s? Itunes is terrible.

Cheers.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #2,869 of 29,653
anyone else getting excited for the new Protest the Hero CD thats coming out next tuesday?? im getting super stoked, theyve got the whole thing up for streaming on Yahoo music, and you can also acquire it using less scrupulous means(while you wait for the release on tuesday of course, ill be buying it on release day for sure). but its pretty good, and i can only see it growing on me more.

Also ive been listening to alot of the new The Human Abstract CD, and I've got to say, i definitely dont think of it as Metalcore...at all. Its definitely more progressive in my mind, kind of like a heavier Cynic, which im loving!

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #2,870 of 29,653

Quote:
Got a couple of questions:

What are some awesome Metal internet radio stations?

Where can I buy digital Metal albums that aren't MP3s? Itunes is terrible.

Cheers.

I don't know of any metal specific internet radio, but Last.FM had a decent selection the last time I checked. As for digital albums, your best bet is still just to buy the CDs. I get them used for a few dollars, and as long as the disc is in at least half decent shape, EAC should have no problems ripping it to FLAC, APE, or whatever lossless format you prefer. Lossless digital downloads will cost you more, and you'll have no physical backup if you ever lose your files. Makes no sense.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #2,871 of 29,653

Quote:
^you didn't just call Symphony X power metal did you? :| I completely agree that they're awesome though!

Yes. Progressive Power Metal in my opinion. What would you call it?

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #2,872 of 29,653
Neo-classical shred metal or possibly symphonic progressive metal. Regardless my comment was unnecessary and elitist, though it wasn't meant that way, and I apologize.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,873 of 29,653
Already listened to it on the AOL player, and I am liking what I hearing. Eventually, I will end up buying it. 

I also need to check the new THA, and need to listen to the Periphery album as a whole, not just streaming...

Quote:
anyone else getting excited for the new Protest the Hero CD thats coming out next tuesday?? im getting super stoked, theyve got the whole thing up for streaming on Yahoo music, and you can also acquire it using less scrupulous means(while you wait for the release on tuesday of course, ill be buying it on release day for sure). but its pretty good, and i can only see it growing on me more.

Also ive been listening to alot of the new The Human Abstract CD, and I've got to say, i definitely dont think of it as Metalcore...at all. Its definitely more progressive in my mind, kind of like a heavier Cynic, which im loving!

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #2,874 of 29,653

Quote:
Already listened to it on the AOL player, and I am liking what I hearing. Eventually, I will end up buying it. 

I also need to check the new THA, and need to listen to the Periphery album as a whole, not just streaming...

thats funny cuase recently ive been listening to alot of THA since i bought it last tuesday, and also the last couple days ive been mixing in alot of Periphery, i need to buy their cd as well...but best buy never has it.

are we in tune or what bullseye??? 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #2,875 of 29,653
Seems to be that way... 
regular_smile .gif

Speaking of albums I have to get, the new BTBAM - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues is going to be released soon. I am quite thrilled. I really liked the song I listened to, you can stream it on their site. 

Another album I streamed and I liked back when I heard it is [id] from Veil Of Maya. They have some great songs there. 
I also need to listen to both albums by Xerath. I and II. Pretty interesting stuff. 

Quote:
thats funny cuase recently ive been listening to alot of THA since i bought it last tuesday, and also the last couple days ive been mixing in alot of Periphery, i need to buy their cd as well...but best buy never has it.

are we in tune or what bullseye??? 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2,876 of 29,653
@b0ck3n

Don't worry, I didn't feel offended by your comment, i just felt curiosity about what genre you believe it belongs. Anyway, frontiers between genres are not clear, so classifying unique and original bands like Symphony X can be very subjective.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2,877 of 29,653

Quote:

Whoa awesome I didn't know Protest were coming out with a new album! That's something to look forward too! I heard the Human Abstract here in Toronto when I went to go see Cynic, wasn't too impressed but maybe I should check out their stuff again.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #2,878 of 29,653
Is there anything roughly in the same category that you could recommend? Power/symphonic metal-wise I really loved 'Horror Show' by Iced Earth, but other than that I've yet to find something from that genre that's really good. Strangely, as I'm a total freak for 'Horror Show' and basically everything by Symphony X.

Quote:
@b0ck3n

Don't worry, I didn't feel offended by your comment, i just felt curiosity about what genre you believe it belongs. Anyway, frontiers between genres are not clear, so classifying unique and original bands like Symphony X can be very subjective.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #2,880 of 29,653

Quote:
Anyone see Apocalyptica?  I am going for the first time tonight.  Someone bought me a ticket and I figured, what the hey...

I really enjoyed 7th symphony by them. I am jelous.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Is there anything roughly in the same category that you could recommend? Power/symphonic metal-wise I really loved 'Horror Show' by Iced Earth, but other than that I've yet to find something from that genre that's really good. Strangely, as I'm a total freak for 'Horror Show' and basically everything by Symphony X.

Well, I am in the same situation. Of power metal I only enjoy Symphony X and a few separate albums, I haven't given it a listen yet, but the last album of high on fire is getting a lot of attention.[Edit: Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, High on Fire isn't Power Metal...]

This are a few recommendations of symphonic metal:

-Eternal Tears of Sorrow - A Virgin and a Whore (Symphonic Melodeath)
-Nightwish - Century Child; Dark Passion Play (Symphonic Gothic Metal)
-Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (Symphonic Black Metal)
[NEW ONE] -Carach Angren - Death Came Through a Phantom Ship (Symphonic Black Metal AT IT'S BEST!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back