Lets Talk Metal
Mar 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #2,881 of 29,653

Quote:
Whoa awesome I didn't know Protest were coming out with a new album! That's something to look forward too! I heard the Human Abstract here in Toronto when I went to go see Cynic, wasn't too impressed but maybe I should check out their stuff again.

I love Cynic, but it is difficult to appreciate. If you don't listen to Death Metal, thats the way to start if you want to enjoy them.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2,882 of 29,653

Quote:
I really enjoyed 7th symphony by them. I am jelous.
rolleyes.gif

Well, I am in the same situation. Of power metal I only enjoy Symphony X and a few separate albums, I haven't given it a listen yet, but the last album of high on fire is getting a lot of attention.This are a few recommendations of symphonic metal:

-Eternal Tears of Sorrow - A Virgin and a Whore (Symphonic Melodeath)
-Nightwish - Century Child; Dark Passion Play (Symphonic Gothic Metal)
-Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (Symphonic Black Metal)

Hmmm, not bad bands or anything, but not what I would recommend.

How about Kamelot's Black Halo or Karma? 

You *have* listened to Ayreon's The Human Equation (EDIT: Fixed my mistake)?  That is epic.

If you like Nightwish doesn't that mean you like Epica?  (just kidding, but its in the same vain I would think).

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #2,883 of 29,653
I suppose you mean 'The Human Equation'? I never much cared for LaBrie's voice, though he performed well on 'Images and Words' and 'Awake', but since Mikael Åkerfeldt features on there too I guess I have to check it out. Spontaneously I'd say both it and the Kamelot releases I've heard are a bit too dramatic for my tastes.

Quote:

Hmmm, not bad bands or anything, but not what I would recommend.

How about Kamelot's Black Halo or Karma? 

You *have* listened to Ayreon's The Human Experience?  That is epic.

If you like Nightwish doesn't that mean you like Epica?  (just kidding, but its in the same vain I would think).

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #2,884 of 29,653

Quote:

I love Cynic, but it is difficult to appreciate. If you don't listen to Death Metal, thats the way to start if you want to enjoy them.

Oh I meant I wasn't too impressed with the Human Abstract! I absolutely love Cynic!

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #2,885 of 29,653
For lovers of power and traditional heavy metal, I present Pharaoh!

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #2,887 of 29,653

Quote:
I suppose you mean 'The Human Equation'? I never much cared for LaBrie's voice, though he performed well on 'Images and Words' and 'Awake', but since Mikael Åkerfeldt features on there too I guess I have to check it out. Spontaneously I'd say both it and the Kamelot releases I've heard are a bit too dramatic for my tastes.

Whoops, yeah I wrote that on my way out from work to see Apocalyptica.  They were cool but too much Metallica covers.  It got a bit monotonous after the first 15 minutes.  But it was an experience.

Right, so yes, "The Human Equation" and though I respect your feelings about LaBrie, the album is just fantastic.  Please give it a listen.  (you also have Devin Townsend on the record as well)

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #2,888 of 29,653

Quote:
Trogdor said:

I love Epica.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #2,889 of 29,653
Really like these guys:

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #2,891 of 29,653
So I just picked up the new Children of Bodom. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Panic Broadcast. The previous albums from both bands were mostly terrible, and both were at risk of setting up permanent residence in suckville (population In Flames). Like Panic Broadcast, RRF is not a fantastic album by any stretch. I won't be playing it constantly like the new Enslaved or Mar De Grises albums. However, it does see them make some fairly positive changes in a new sonic direction. Some have described it as harking back to classic COB and maybe its me but I really don't hear that from it at all. There's still the usual COB silliness (they will never be Insomnium), but it's more grown up somehow. Worth a listen. I'd say... 7/10.

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #2,892 of 29,653
The latest Enslaved recording I own is 'Mardraum', and upon reading this I got curious and listened to some songs off 'Axioma Ethica Odini' on YouTube and it's actually not half bad. There are some well implemented progressive influences that I really like, might actually buy this cd.

Quote:
So I just picked up the new Children of Bodom. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Panic Broadcast. The previous albums from both bands were mostly terrible, and both were at risk of setting up permanent residence in suckville (population In Flames). Like Panic Broadcast, RRF is not a fantastic album by any stretch. I won't be playing it constantly like the new Enslaved or Mar De Grises albums. However, it does see them make some fairly positive changes in a new sonic direction. Some have described it as harking back to classic COB and maybe its me but I really don't hear that from it at all. There's still the usual COB silliness (they will never be Insomnium), but it's more grown up somehow. Worth a listen. I'd say... 7/10.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,893 of 29,653

Quote:

I gave it a 7.5 actually when discussing this with some friends.  I agree, its not Follow the Reaper or Hatecrew, but its a solid album.  The last one just sucked on so many levels.  Actually it wasn't terrible per se (musically speaking) but it was just damn right mediocre.  This album I think has a couple of songs that are not only solid but will be awesome live.

Funny thing, we were at the Apocalyptica show and met a couple who met the band in a meet and greet (the dude had friends working for the local radio station).  Anyway we were talking about the Berserkers Tour (BLS, Clutch, and Bodom).  I swear he goes, "We went to see BLS but damn, I never heard of CoB, but they were amazing."

I am the only human being on the planet that can not for the life of me get into Enslaved.  I don't know why, I can't really explain it.  It is what it is.  I am going to try again at some point. 

I have taken up your suggestion of Mar De Grises (still listening).

EDIT:  Really like this one:

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2,894 of 29,653

Quote:
I gave it a 7.5 actually when discussing this with some friends.  I agree, its not Follow the Reaper or Hatecrew, but its a solid album.  The last one just sucked on so many levels.  Actually it wasn't terrible per se (musically speaking) but it was just damn right mediocre.  This album I think has a couple of songs that are not only solid but will be awesome live.

Funny thing, we were at the Apocalyptica show and met a couple who met the band in a meet and greet (the dude had friends working for the local radio station).  Anyway we were talking about the Berserkers Tour (BLS, Clutch, and Bodom).  I swear he goes, "We went to see BLS but damn, I never heard of CoB, but they were amazing."

I am the only human being on the planet that can not for the life of me get into Enslaved.  I don't know why, I can't really explain it.  It is what it is.  I am going to try again at some point. 

I have taken up your suggestion of Mar De Grises (still listening).

Children of Bodom puts on a great live show, no question. Not everybody has to like Enslaved. I don't really like Moonsorrow or Amorphis. Doesn't matter how many 11/10 reviews they get...they just don't do it for me.

The Mar De Grises album is a great blend of doom and gothic elements. I'm normally not the biggest gothic metal fan, but songs like "Catatonic North" have the haunting elements of gothic metal that I like without the associated boredom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back