Lets Talk Metal
Mar 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,911 of 29,653

Quote:
OOO a thread about metal!

Maybe this question has been asked and answered but I'm too lazy to search this thread.  Do you guys have any recommendations for bands that sound like Children of Bodom (pre Hatecrew)?

Sure. Norther (especially the earlier albums), Kalmah, early Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Imperanon, Made of Hate, Catamenia.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #2,912 of 29,653

Quote:
Call it what you guys want but I like the stuff Alexi plays, back then at least, unique.

mmm didn't realize this thread didn't include metalcore, so I guess After the Burial doesn't count...check it out anyway! The album Forging a Future Self is fantastic.

CoB is great.  I wouldn't call it darks and brutals (well I would just to get my friends rehab, Negakinu, and soup's in a tissy).

No seriously, I met Alexi @ the Merch booth at the BLS show.  Fantastic guitarist, nice guy, cool music, but not darks and brutals.

Ummm, btw guys, Agalloch was unbelievable.  They really were on despite a technical issue early in the show.  They played for about 1.5 hours (20 minute encore) and everyone walking out of the club was impressed.  I love these guys!

(new album sounds great live in case you are wondering)

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,913 of 29,653
Fans of early Amon Amarth, um... you're gonna want the Surtur Rising bonus DVD.

It's three hours from the “Bloodshed Over Bochum” concert series in 2008 where Amon Amarth played the first four albums on four successive nights. Take that RIP and Blackwater Park live. Amon Amarth are more metal than you.

​

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #2,914 of 29,653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and soup's in a tissy).

am not....i was just having a bit of a discussion over in the best metal album of 2010 thread lol i assume thats what you're talking about? cause the only times i have tissys in this thread is when Fido pokes his head in 
tongue.gif

i am also loving the Surtur Rising Dave, definitely more than Twilight of the Thunder God at least, and im still up in the air whether its better than With Oden On Our Side, which i freakin love

Edit: for anyone interested, Periphery posted a new song off the forthcoming EP on metal sucks  http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/03/24/exclusive-song-premiere-periphery-say-frak-to-the-gods/

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #2,915 of 29,653
Check out Archeon

Quote:
OOO a thread about metal!

Maybe this question has been asked and answered but I'm too lazy to search this thread.  Do you guys have any recommendations for bands that sound like Children of Bodom (pre Hatecrew)?  I absolutely loved their first 3 albums, it all sounded so twisted and evil, absolutely beautiful.  Then their new stuff just got uncomplex and dull...  I prefer harsh vocals unlike stuff from progressive metal with the epic/operaish/clean (sorry don't know how to describe it) vocals.

Anyone here like After the Burial?  Absolutely loved their first album.  It was just so brutal but still complex; and just the style over all, had good feel to it.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #2,916 of 29,653

Quote:
I didn't think I could be genuinely surprised by a new Amon Amarth record, but WOW, I am surprised by Surtur Rising. I'm going to need several more listens to really get a sense of this record, which in itself says a lot I think. This is a genuinely different record.

Didn't know Amon Amarth had a new album out, just listened to a few tracks and wow 
eek.gif
 Definitely getting it

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2,918 of 29,653

Quote:
Didn't know Amon Amarth had a new album out, just listened to a few tracks and wow 
eek.gif
 Definitely getting it

It's good stuff. I would say maybe half of it is traditional Amarth, and the other half has some interesting doom elements, and it's rotten body landslide brutals. Johan Hegg's vocals are raw and visceral, and the sound has taken a step back from the uber polish of With Oden. It's really not what I expected, but I like it.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #2,919 of 29,653

Quote:
It's good stuff. I would say maybe half of it is traditional Amarth, and the other half has some interesting doom elements, and it's rotten body landslide brutals. Johan Hegg's vocals are raw and visceral, and the sound has taken a step back from the uber polish of With Oden. It's really not what I expected, but I like it.

i agree im quite enjoying it myself. metal is definitely my favorite and will be my favorite for a long time genre of music. but i definitely appreciate other styles for what they are. anyone else enjoying the new korpiklaani and children of bodom albums?

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2,920 of 29,653

Quote:
Ummm, btw guys, Agalloch was unbelievable.  They really were on despite a technical issue early in the show.  They played for about 1.5 hours (20 minute encore) and everyone walking out of the club was impressed.  I love these guys!

(new album sounds great live in case you are wondering)

frown.gif

They were at SXSW and I couldn't go...

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #2,922 of 29,653

Quote:
Tagtgren managed to put Kampfar sounding like Hypocrisy at many places. Too bright, too damn bright.

Ah, the infamous Abyss-sound. Peter is like the Borg, assimilating all in his path, creating more little Peters along the way. Resistance is futile, you shall be Hypocrisified... Hypocrified... Hypocrisficationized. Whatever. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2,923 of 29,653
It's been years since last I heard Hypocrisy, but since you guys were talking about them I had to fire up one of my favourite songs as a kid: Roswell 47. Put a smile on my face :)

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #2,925 of 29,653

Quote:
recently discovered these guys as well

I have Communion and Sumerian Daemons which are great albums. I've been meaning to explore their back catalogue which goes back as far as Rotting Christ's does, but I think the production value of the early albums is pretty lousy. Septic Flesh has a new album out this year, called The Great Mass. Hopefully unlike Aealo, it'll be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back