Lets Talk Metal
Mar 30, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #2,926 of 29,652

Quote:
I have Communion and Sumerian Daemons which are great albums. I've been meaning to explore their back catalogue which goes back as far as Rotting Christ's does, but I think the production value of the early albums is pretty lousy. Septic Flesh has a new album out this year, called The Great Mass. Hopefully unlike Aealo, it'll be good.

yeah i picked up Communion because i read the Metalunderground review for The Great Mass, but couldnt find it anywhere(didnt realize at the time i still had about a month to wait) so i picked up the previous release, and im loving it.

Ill Have to check out Sumerian Daemons as well!

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #2,927 of 29,652
Quote:
I have Communion and Sumerian Daemons which are great albums. I've been meaning to explore their back catalogue which goes back as far as Rotting Christ's does, but I think the production value of the early albums is pretty lousy. Septic Flesh has a new album out this year, called The Great Mass. Hopefully unlike Aealo, it'll be good.

No, Mystical Places of Dawn and Esoptron are as good as it gets. The production is just fine, it hads to the oppressive feeling of the music. Top notch, really. Mystical Places of Dawn would easily enter my top 10 albums ever. Unfortunatelly both albums are pretty hard to get for a decent price, reissues are getting scarse also but worth every cent (except for the lousy cover, the original one is on theme, the reissue is just plain silly). Maybe a new reissue is on the way. I only have physical copies from them from Ophidian Wheel on (it seems pretty rare also).

Now can we please change the subject? I hate being remembered that I don't have this.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #2,928 of 29,652
these guys are pretty awesome as well, from Iron Thrones' newest EP The Wretched Sun

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #2,933 of 29,652
Been away for a while. Came here to tell my impressions of Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising. I used to say it is a good thing when you know what to expect from Amon Amarth, but I guess it might be the time for them to spice things up. This album, in one word, is boring and immemorable. Only two songs are memorable and very good, Slaves Of Fear and The Last Stand Of Frej. What a dissapointment... :frowning2:

However, another that everyone should check out is Demonaz's solo album March Of The Norse. Well, not "solo" as Abbath is in it too and couple of more members but you get the idea. This album is nothing short of amazing! Yeah you can hear Immortal influence in it much like you could hear it in band I, but musically this is a perfect blend of Immortal and later Bathory (including theme) and it works! Its only downside of this album is that all songs pretty much follow same midpace tempo. However this is definetly a good contender for album of the year to me!

My fav songs on it:

Over The Mountains
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rdS4oryys0

All Blackened Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaS6A6Q9ikA

*edit* Oh, and cover art is badass. :D

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #2,934 of 29,652
Been away for a while. Came here to tell my impressions of Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising. I used to say it is a good thing when you know what to expect from Amon Amarth, but I guess it might be the time for them to spice things up. This album, in one word, is boring and immemorable. Only two songs are memorable and very good, Slaves Of Fear and The Last Stand Of Frej. What a dissapointment... :frowning2:

However, another that everyone should check out is Demonaz's solo album March Of The Norse. Well, not "solo" as Abbath is in it too and couple of more members but you get the idea. This album is nothing short of amazing! Yeah you can hear Immortal influence in it much like you could hear it in band I, but musically this is a perfect blend of Immortal and later Bathory (including theme) and it works! Its only downside of this album is that all songs pretty much follow same midpace tempo. However this is definetly a good contender for album of the year to me!

My fav songs on it:

Over The Mountains

All Blackened Sky

Anything from Abbath or Demonaz is bound to be great. Between Two World was pretty good too.

As for Amon Amarth, yes, it's more of the same and the number of memorable songs is smaller than in the previous two albums but it's a good album nevertheless.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2,936 of 29,652

Quote:
Quote:

My fav songs on it:

Over The Mountains

All Blackened Sky

Anything from Abbath or Demonaz is bound to be great. Between Two World was pretty good too.

As for Amon Amarth, yes, it's more of the same and the number of memorable songs is smaller than in the previous two albums but it's a good album nevertheless.

Hah! Very true. So far everything that Abbath and Demonaz has touched has been gold. The duo is also a great example how to naturally evolve your sound while still staying true to the core and not smash it to pieces, something they have even managed to expand to two different directions with their sideprojects like band I and Demonaz solo career.

Yes, Surtur Rising is not a bad album, far from it. I still listen it, and in this very moment the disc is in my car cd player waiting. But I cant help but feel the obvious signs of stagnation, they really have to evolve their sound, like above examples have done.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #2,937 of 29,652
Here' what I've been jamming as of late.

Fantastic album with fantastic artwork.  Seems really catchy to me.  Sticks in my head easily.

I friggin love this band.  Ever since the Concealing Fate ep I can't get enough of them.

Been a fan since Starving the Vultures.  So Brutal. The gutturals of the lead singer are ridiculous.

I don't know if anyone here remembers a little band called Mindrot. They had an aggressive and a doomey-ish mixture in their music.
                                                           This is similar only more sorrowful.

I'm a sucker for this chunky modern death metal.  Danish bands do it well.  Much like The Cleansing, Dawn of Demise, and Lay Down Rotten.  Love that stuff.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,938 of 29,652

Quote:
Here' what I've been jamming as of late.

Fantastic album with fantastic artwork.  Seems really catchy to me.  Sticks in my head easily.

I friggin love this band.  Ever since the Concealing Fate ep I can't get enough of them.

Been a fan since Starving the Vultures.  So Brutal. The gutturals of the lead singer are ridiculous.

I don't know if anyone here remembers a little band called Mindrot. They had an aggressive and a doomey-ish mixture in their music.
                                                           This is similar only more sorrowful.

I'm a sucker for this chunky modern death metal.  Danish bands do it well.  Much like The Cleansing, Dawn of Demise, and Lay Down Rotten.  Love that stuff.

What's the top one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back