Lets Talk Metal
Dec 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #2,536 of 29,644
I agree that last year was awesome for metal, and because of that the year seemed kind of bland in comparison. The only metal cd that I've heard that truly stood out as being worth mentioning, was fragments of form and function by Allegaeon. Sure lawless darkness is pretty good for black metal, and triosphere's cd the road less traveled grows on more every time I listen to it. Oh yeah. One other cd did come out this year that I loved, the 2010 remaster of valley of the damned by dragon force.

So icant make a top ten but a top 3??
1. Fragments of Form and Function by Allegaeon
2. Valley of the Damned by Dragonforce
3. The Road Less Travelled by Triosphere

Though until writing this article I was convinced that Evanglelion came out this year, but a quick check with wikipedia ruined that for me

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #2,537 of 29,644
I.C.S Vortex (Borknagar, ex-Dimmu Borgir, ex-Arcturus) has revealed more details about his solo release, entitled Storm Seeker:

"I finally got the master tape of the first ICS Vortex album! Storm Seeker contains 11 tracks and holds 45 minutes of groovy hooks and signature clean vocals. Brewed in a dirty metal pot, ingrediens included are Stoner Rock mashed with BM, 70's prog spiked Pagan and alternative roots fried Norwegian style. Some of the song titles are "Skoal!", "Dogsmacked", "Oil in Water" and "Odin's Tree".

It's been a year of sporadic work at Toproom Studio with engineer Børge Finstad. My good old teammate from Borknagar, Asgeir Mickelson (Sarke, Spiral Architect), handles the drums, and Terje "Cyrus" Andersen added some solos. Mix was done by Børge, Asgeir and me. A record deal is in the works and we're looking at a release in good time before summer 2011.

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #2,538 of 29,644

Quote:
Who on earth starts with metal without first listening to Iron Maiden. :) 

i was wondering where all the maiden in this thread was.
\m/ maiden is my favorite band. saw them this summer with dream theater, needless to say, it blew my mind

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #2,539 of 29,644
You bet. Lykathea Aflame are great. Oh and don't forget about Kronos: Colossal Titan Strife is one of the best Brutal Death albums around.

Quote:
Kronos was pretty good.  I freakin' love Benighted.  They know how to keep it interesting. 

Demilich's - Nespithe is an absolute classic. 

Suffocation is one of my favorite bands of all time.  Effigy and Pierced from Within are so good.

Severed Savior's Brutality is Law has been in rotation a bit here lately actually.  

Visceral Bleeding is just plain nuts.  I eat that stuff up. 

Haven't checked out Lykathea Aflame though.  Are they pretty good Bullseye?

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #2,541 of 29,644

Quote:
Quote:
I feel stupid, I don't even know Evemaster.

Thanks Dave.  I am demoing the album now, let you know what I think soon.  How did you find out about Evemaster III?

Btw, I am glad at least someone else thinks DarkTranq still has it after all these years.  "We are the Void" was a solid release.

I still need to gather my list for 2010!

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #2,542 of 29,644

Quote:
Thanks Dave.  I am demoing the album now, let you know what I think soon.  How did you find out about Evemaster III?  
Btw, I am glad at least someone else thinks DarkTranq still has it after all these years.  "We are the Void" was a solid release.

I still need to gather my list for 2010!

Sure. I just stumbled across them and checked them out, and ended up loving the album and the mix of progressive and melodic death styles. I still haven't head their previous two releases, I'll need to listen to those at some point.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #2,544 of 29,644

Quote:
I agree that last year was awesome for metal, and because of that the year seemed kind of bland in comparison. The only metal cd that I've heard that truly stood out as being worth mentioning, was fragments of form and function by Allegaeon. Sure lawless darkness is pretty good for black metal, and triosphere's cd the road less traveled grows on more every time I listen to it. Oh yeah. One other cd did come out this year that I loved, the 2010 remaster of valley of the damned by dragon force.

So icant make a top ten but a top 3??
1. Fragments of Form and Function by Allegaeon
2. Valley of the Damned by Dragonforce
3. The Road Less Travelled by Triosphere

Though until writing this article I was convinced that Evanglelion came out this year, but a quick check with wikipedia ruined that for me

Checking out Allegaeon...their ep is available free to download so I will start there....

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #2,545 of 29,644
to each there own, it is a family oriented forum and thus i agree it should be clean at least picture wise, because you can stumble upon that kinda stuff by accident.

we dont allow swearing but there are tons of swears int he lyrics of most of these songs.

anyways, keeping on topic. i not only have a dog but think that they are delicious!

to each there own.. or for me.. both sides!

Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone see the irony here?  A bunch of metal-heads who have an appreciation for dark and often extremely violent music are offended by an image of the dietary preference of another culture.

Sorry for the upset, negakinu.  I had planned to remove it at your request but someone must have reported it...

I know it was OT and unnecessary, but it's my nature to push the envelope.  It was interesting to observe some reactions, however.  I really shouldn't post when I have been drinking.

punk in drublic

Ironic isn't it? But then again metalheads (or atleast some) are known to value high ideals despite (or perhaps because of?) the violent nature of the music. Because the violence is not necessarily the point of it. Of course, dietary preferences have nothing to do with this buuut being a dog person the pic you posted did make me feel... very uncomfortable. Hell at the times I value the lives of dogs more than the life of human being.
biggrin.gif
But I am not in the position to judge anyones culture preferences.

punk in drublic with some good Lauder's whiskey on the rocks. Cheers!

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #2,546 of 29,644

Quote:
The top 9 for me, in no particular order:

Twilight "Monument to Time End"
Who needs corpsepaint when you're a group of progressive black metal godfathers. Trve meaning of the word "supergroup". 

Dawnbringer "Nucleus"
Made me fall in love with heavy metal all over again. Oldschool, honest, NWOBHM with an esoteric touch. And ONE blastbeat! :) 

Alcest "Écailles de Lune"
I would've laughed at who ever told me 15 years ago that black metal would evolve into this. Beautiful bridge between shoegazey postpunk and black metal. I love this album and try to see them live as often as I can. 

Nachtmystium "Addicts: Black Meddle Pt.II"
Nightfall. Need I say more? If you've ever washed the taste of cocaine away with a mouthful of whisky you know what I'm talking about. 

Anathema "We're here because we're here"
I'd almost given up on them. This album is their comeback. Beautiful, postrocky tracks with some positive, yet original lyrics. Great production as well. 

Ghost "Opus Eponymous"
If the devil played seventies rock guitar, he would've played in Ghost. 

Behemoth "Evangelia Heretika"
"Ov Fire and the Void" gives me goosebumps. The lyrics need to screamed at the top of your lungs in a dark venue under a sleeping city. 

Carach Angren "Death Came Through a Phantom Ship"
This album received rave reviews around the net and is being hailed as the new Dimmu Borgir/Emperor. Think a really pissed off Arcturus and you're almost there.  

Lantlos "Neon"
Niege from Amesoeurs and Alcest on vocals only this time in English instead of French. Jazzy bassguitar post-black metal. Or something like that. 

Other bands I really enjoyed this year: Inquisition, Otargos, Kvelertak, Les Discrets, A Forest of Stars, Nightbringer, Witchery, Year Of No Light, Heirs and that dude that played Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" on metalguitar. You may notice the lack of Watain's "Lawless Darkness" and Enslaved's "Axioma Ethica Odini" but I think Watain is silly and haven't listened to the new Enslaved yet! Shame! 

Shittiest events this year have to be the death of Peter Steele, Dio's demise and the birth of trancecore. Oh, and ReVamp! Buttf*cking heavy metal kicking and screaming into 2011! Pure. Auditory. Rape. 

Oh I forgot the new Hail of Bullets! Old school death metal with those breathy Asphyx vocals we all love so much. At least I do, I don't care what you think because I am a nihilist. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I am so br00tal I crap skulls. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back