Lets Talk Metal
Jan 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #2,566 of 29,663

Quote:
High On Fire - Snakes for the Divine is a great album IMO. 

The more I listen to this album, I have to say, the more disappointed I get with it, that's not to say its bad, its probably one of my top albums of the year. In fact, I consider Matt Pike to be my all-time favourite guitarist, but for some reason, every time I take a listen, it gets more and more dull.

That being said, one release I find myself cranking all the time (other than Kvelertak
cool.gif
) has got to be Ghost. If you don't know who they are, just google "Ghost-Opus Eponymous" and have a listen, its quite the blast from the past, very good. Another has got to be Scenes From Hell by Sigh, it came out in January and still sounds great, one of the most intriguing black metal releases in recent memory.

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #2,568 of 29,663
Thanks for posting that.  I was immediately struck by the sound of fretless bass, then the saxophone completely knocked me on my arse!  Finally something risky and progressive.  And it works.  More than solid, bloody brilliant.  Makes most everything else on the last few pages sound 'meh.

Quote:

Another solid 2010 release IMO.

@ Forcefedfreak, some quality links there, Ion Dissonance is intense and The Ocean sounds good (cool album title too).  I don't see why there's so much love for Agalloch btw, they just sound to me like another dreary post-rock shoegazer band. nvm. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #2,569 of 29,663
Oh and the only newly released metal album I bought last year was the only one that really mattered.

So that constitutes my top ten metal releases for 2010.

I challenge all of you to listen to the following song ALL THE WAY THROUGH and then tell me it's not a great song:

The first time my 14 year old son heard this he immediately said "Wow Dad, that's a great song".

I rewarded him by taking him to the show mid last year.  He went spastic with me in the pit.  It was so ****ing cool.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #2,570 of 29,663

Quote:
That being said, one release I find myself cranking all the time (other than Kvelertak
cool.gif
) has got to be Ghost. If you don't know who they are, just google "Ghost-Opus Eponymous" and have a listen, its quite the blast from the past, very good. Another has got to be Scenes From Hell by Sigh, it came out in January and still sounds great, one of the most intriguing black metal releases in recent memory.

Helyeah. Ghost as well as Sigh are pretty good.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2,573 of 29,663
Anyone else like the new Electric Wizard album, I just started listening to them a few days ago and I am very impressed.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #2,574 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:
I agree that last year was awesome for metal, and because of that the year seemed kind of bland in comparison. The only metal cd that I've heard that truly stood out as being worth mentioning, was fragments of form and function by Allegaeon. Sure lawless darkness is pretty good for black metal, and triosphere's cd the road less traveled grows on more every time I listen to it. Oh yeah. One other cd did come out this year that I loved, the 2010 remaster of valley of the damned by dragon force.

So icant make a top ten but a top 3??
1. Fragments of Form and Function by Allegaeon
2. Valley of the Damned by Dragonforce
3. The Road Less Travelled by Triosphere

Though until writing this article I was convinced that Evanglelion came out this year, but a quick check with wikipedia ruined that for me

That Triosphere album rocks!  I just downloaded it and am listening to it now....its very Heavy Metal (the 80s movie)....

yeah they're pretty awesome, its grown on me alot more since i bought the cd. And several pages back you mentioned you were checking out Allegaeon, whatd you think? i dont the like the EP nearly as much as Fragments of Form and Function though, so even if you didnt like the freebie, you should check out the newest cd.

Ive also bought Blind Guardian's newest, and while ride into obsession is still the best song on the cd, its growing on me more now as well, i really like valkyries and sacred worlds.

and that In Mourning song was pretty awesome too, ill have to investigate the rest of that cd

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #2,575 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:
I don't see why there's so much love for Agalloch btw, they just sound to me like another dreary post-rock shoegazer band. nvm. 

Them's fightin' words.

Lol are you gonna back that up with something meaningful little man?  Get back to me when your eloquence doesn't fail you (put away the toy sword and sharpen your pencil).  btw for you, I'm going to listen to the entire Agalloch album if it's all up on the toob.  I respect your passion.  I trust you respect mine.

btw here's something dreary that I really like.  I hope you hate it, Philistines.  It's not metal, but it's black, and heavy.

I think negakinu should like it.  I hope you are settling into to your new cave.

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #2,576 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't see why there's so much love for Agalloch btw, they just sound to me like another dreary post-rock shoegazer band. nvm. 

Them's fightin' words.

Lol are you gonna back that up with something meaningful little man?  Get back to me when your eloquence doesn't fail you (put away the toy sword and sharpen your pencil).  btw for you, I'm going to listen to the entire Agalloch album if it's all up on the toob.  I respect your passion.  I trust you respect mine.

btw here's something dreary that I really like.  I hope you hate it, Philistines.  It's not metal, but it's black, and heavy.

I think negakinu should like it.  I hope you are settling into to your new cave.

Listen to The Mantle if you are going to experiment with Agalloch.  On the new album, The Watcher's Monolith is really classic Agalloch.

Btw did you check out Kvelertak?

The "Dillinger Espace Plan" is touring with Deftones.

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #2,578 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree that last year was awesome for metal, and because of that the year seemed kind of bland in comparison. The only metal cd that I've heard that truly stood out as being worth mentioning, was fragments of form and function by Allegaeon. Sure lawless darkness is pretty good for black metal, and triosphere's cd the road less traveled grows on more every time I listen to it. Oh yeah. One other cd did come out this year that I loved, the 2010 remaster of valley of the damned by dragon force.

So icant make a top ten but a top 3??
1. Fragments of Form and Function by Allegaeon
2. Valley of the Damned by Dragonforce
3. The Road Less Travelled by Triosphere

Though until writing this article I was convinced that Evanglelion came out this year, but a quick check with wikipedia ruined that for me

That Triosphere album rocks!  I just downloaded it and am listening to it now....its very Heavy Metal (the 80s movie)....

yeah they're pretty awesome, its grown on me alot more since i bought the cd. And several pages back you mentioned you were checking out Allegaeon, whatd you think? i dont the like the EP nearly as much as Fragments of Form and Function though, so even if you didnt like the freebie, you should check out the newest cd.

Ive also bought Blind Guardian's newest, and while ride into obsession is still the best song on the cd, its growing on me more now as well, i really like valkyries and sacred worlds.

and that In Mourning song was pretty awesome too, ill have to investigate the rest of that cd

Soups I haven't gotten to Allegaeons Fragments of Form and Function but almost...I got sidetracked by your Triosphere recommendation....

For some reason I am still going back to Insomnium (listening to their first two albums a lot).

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #2,579 of 29,663
Thanks Trogs, I appreciate the tips.  I pretty much listen to everything that's posted here.  I'll try Kvelertak again.  I am often too quick to judge, like most of us I guess.

Btw go see DEP if you get the chance. I've heard musicians who don't like their music say they are the best live band they have seen. They are genuine showmen imo.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2,580 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:

Soups I haven't gotten to Allegaeons Fragments of Form and Function but almost...I got sidetracked by your Triosphere recommendation....

For some reason I am still going back to Insomnium (listening to their first two albums a lot).

haha triosphere'll do that too ya. though i wasnt as much of a fan of their first cd as The Road Less Travelled.

also ive found a couple more metal cd's that i really do like from 2010, In mourning's monolith that someone several pages back is pretty sweet on first listen. Also Periphery's self titled debut has grown on me an awful lot since i first heard it.

and for something a bit heavier, The Deterioration of the Minds by Soreption is amazing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back