Lets Talk Metal
Dec 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #2,506 of 29,663

Quote:
You can show me anything really... Human suffering doesn't bother me in the least. Animal suffering does though. I can watch a brutal execution or African witch-burning without losing any sleep but show me a video of someone kicking a dog or slaughtering a pig or something and I get sick to my stomach. Animal abuse is the only thing that gets to me. I don't know if that's the irony you were referring to. 

x2

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #2,507 of 29,663
I'll probably get a kickban or at least a proper flaming for this, but wth...

If you guys love animals so much, why do you eat their food?

biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #2,508 of 29,663
Because meat tastes really good and tofu tastes really bad. And I don't see meat as a dead animal, thats the main difference between vegetarians and meat-eaters.

OT:
Does anyone listen to Nagelfar? It's really good imo.

Sadly there is no part 2 on youtube.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #2,509 of 29,663
lol, I'll eat most anything, even rabbit food.  Especially rabbit food.  I love raw vegetables, ever since I was a toddler.  That's what makes humans so successful, like foxes and other ferals, they'll eat ANYTHING!!!

The irony really is that most metal heads around here are soft white western middle class children who like to dress up.  Nothing brutal about us really.

It's funny, but when I was a youth, I felt a lot more for animals than humans.  Most humans in my view were too hard to trust.  Now I'm a little older I'm turning back the other way.  I still feel for animals, but a little more for people now, which I feel is more balanced.

Go study nature and you'll find buckets of suffering to observe on a day to day basis.  It's a matter of survival.  Survival of the fittest or natural selection if you like.  That is the main reason for conflict in the animal world, which includes our world too.  We too easily forget that we are a part of nature (now the biggest part) because we ignorantly strive to separate ourselves from it in our daily lives.  To our very great detriment we are finding ourselves digging an ever deeper hole.

Btw that picture was on the first page of results when I searched google images for 'meat'.  Go figure...

Fyi yesterday I rescued a large (and edible, apparently) Hawk Moth stuck to our washing and took an injured juvenile Eastern Lorikeet from our backyard to the local vet.  Last month I showed my neighbour the huge Southern Tree Funnel Webs that live in the tree next to my wifes parking spot (yes, they are a deadly venomous spider), and I had to squash a big male one one roaming around next to my baby sons high chair at breakfast two weeks ago.  You get that when you live in the forest.

On my journey towards personal fullness, I plan to learn how to respectfully slaughter my own animals one day.  Sure I'm squeamish now, but I'll learn to get over it.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #2,510 of 29,663

Quote:
I'll probably get a kickban or at least a proper flaming for this, but wth...

If you guys love animals so much, why do you eat their food?

biggrin.gif

I've made a deal with them. They wont eat me and I wont eat their food. :)

@rehabitat

In nature vs. humans, the thing why I wont squirm about animals killing each other is that cruelty is rarely seen there (though there are exceptions). They kill for food and do it as efficiently as they can. If it would be possible I'd too rather hunt my own meat whenever I can. Then I would KNOW how the animal was killed (if it suffers unnecessarily then I can only blame my own incompetence), but since getting licenses for weapons, be it personal or hunting, is pain in the ass here in Finland (not to mention very strict storage requirements) I have to rely on the meat industry which isnt known for being respectful to the animals being killed. Still, my hobbies include fishing and whenever I get one that I intent to keep, I put the poor sod out of his misery as fast and painlessly as I can, out of respect. I see no "soft western middle class softness" there IMHO, I have no qualms about killing and gutting animals, it is just the matter of respect and empathy. I just hate seeing animals suffer unnecessarily especially if it is because of such a pathetic thing like greed.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #2,514 of 29,663
I actually disagree with a lot of the posts here...

rehabitat did not post a picture depicting animal cruelty.  He pictured a cultural difference in cuisine.

I do agree however that the picture was inappropriate for this forum.  In fact rehabitat has said HE is inappropriate for this forum! 
tongue.gif

Back on topic please....post Xmas, we need have a Top 2010 Heavy Metal Album list.....perhaps we countdown all together...this is what I propose:

Everyone come up with their 5 albums this year. 

Five days before January 1st 2011 (that's 27th), everyone makes a Top Album post starting with number five. 

Each day, you post your next album on the list. 

I think you guys should post the album, why you like it, what's special about it, etc. etc.

Are you guys with me? 

If yes, should a start a new thread?

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #2,515 of 29,663

Quote:
Five days before January 1st 2011 (that's 27th), everyone makes a Top Album post starting with number five. 

I think you guys should post the album, why you like it, what's special about it, etc. etc.

That seems a bit convoluted. Last year I posted my favorites and disappointments of '09 in a single post, and I think one post will be enough again. I'm not a music reviewer, and usually it only takes one sentence to describe what I liked or what I felt was lacking.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2,516 of 29,663

Quote:
I actually disagree with a lot of the posts here...

rehabitat did not post a picture depicting animal cruelty.  He pictured a cultural difference in cuisine.

I do agree however that the picture was inappropriate for this forum.  In fact rehabitat has said HE is inappropriate for this forum! 
tongue.gif

Back on topic please....post Xmas, we need have a Top 2010 Heavy Metal Album list.....perhaps we countdown all together...this is what I propose:

Everyone come up with their 5 albums this year. 

Are you guys with me? 

If yes, should a start a new thread?

You are correct, but the discussion wasnt about that directly. It just drifted there somehow. As a matter of fact my and Negakinu's (IIRC) posts that got removed with the image were both acknowledging the culture differences but just wished that if rehabitat could remove the pic due to personal reasons.

Back to the topic, seems like a fun idea but I cannot participate at the beginning as I will be out of town then.

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2,518 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:

That seems a bit convoluted. Last year I posted my favorites and disappointments of '09 in a single post, and I think one post will be enough again. I'm not a music reviewer, and usually it only takes one sentence to describe what I liked or what I felt was lacking.

One line reviews?  Really?

Okay, how about New Years Eve or maybe the day before, we do a top 5 or top 10 list?  What do you think?

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #2,519 of 29,663

Quote:
One line reviews?  Really?

Okay, how about New Years Eve or maybe the day before, we do a top 5 or top 10 list?  What do you think?

Usually a line or two is all I really need. Are the riffs interesting and varied, or stale and repetitive? Is the writing (if intelligible) good, or lazy? Is the production weighty and clear, or thin and overboosted? That's about all I need to know.

I think a Top 5 or 10 list all at once rather than spread out over a number of days makes a lot more sense. I would also be interested in hearing about what people didn't like from this year, and what upcoming albums from 2011 are eagerly awaited.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #2,520 of 29,663
The top 9 for me, in no particular order:

Twilight "Monument to Time End"
Who needs corpsepaint when you're a group of progressive black metal godfathers. Trve meaning of the word "supergroup". 

Dawnbringer "Nucleus"
Made me fall in love with heavy metal all over again. Oldschool, honest, NWOBHM with an esoteric touch. And ONE blastbeat! :) 

Alcest "Écailles de Lune"
I would've laughed at who ever told me 15 years ago that black metal would evolve into this. Beautiful bridge between shoegazey postpunk and black metal. I love this album and try to see them live as often as I can. 

Nachtmystium "Addicts: Black Meddle Pt.II"
Nightfall. Need I say more? If you've ever washed the taste of cocaine away with a mouthful of whisky you know what I'm talking about. 

Anathema "We're here because we're here"
I'd almost given up on them. This album is their comeback. Beautiful, postrocky tracks with some positive, yet original lyrics. Great production as well. 

Ghost "Opus Eponymous"
If the devil played seventies rock guitar, he would've played in Ghost. 

Behemoth "Evangelia Heretika"
"Ov Fire and the Void" gives me goosebumps. The lyrics need to screamed at the top of your lungs in a dark venue under a sleeping city. 

Carach Angren "Death Came Through a Phantom Ship"
This album received rave reviews around the net and is being hailed as the new Dimmu Borgir/Emperor. Think a really pissed off Arcturus and you're almost there.  

Lantlos "Neon"
Niege from Amesoeurs and Alcest on vocals only this time in English instead of French. Jazzy bassguitar post-black metal. Or something like that. 

Other bands I really enjoyed this year: Inquisition, Otargos, Kvelertak, Les Discrets, A Forest of Stars, Nightbringer, Witchery, Year Of No Light, Heirs and that dude that played Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" on metalguitar. You may notice the lack of Watain's "Lawless Darkness" and Enslaved's "Axioma Ethica Odini" but I think Watain is silly and haven't listened to the new Enslaved yet! Shame! 

Shittiest events this year have to be the death of Peter Steele, Dio's demise and the birth of trancecore. Oh, and ReVamp! Buttf*cking heavy metal kicking and screaming into 2011! Pure. Auditory. Rape. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back