Lets Talk Metal
Nov 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #2,255 of 29,663
Like two days ago I heard the second darkspace album. I was blown away. So I went over to last.fm to find some related artists and started listening to lunar aurora. Are there any other bands that I should consider trying out? (the genre is called ambient black metal if i'm correct)

Edit: Maybe maza has some recomendations as i've listened to Andacht today.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #2,256 of 29,663

Quote:
Like two days ago I heard the second darkspace album. I was blown away. So I went over to last.fm to find some related artists and started listening to lunar aurora. Are there any other bands that I should consider trying out? (the genre is called ambient black metal if i'm correct)

Ambient blackmetal or atmospheric black metal. Depressive/Suicidial blackmetal also often relies on same layered ambientic sound, though not all and not necessarily to same extent.

Darkspace - Darkspace III (obviously :) )
Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows
Evilfeast - Lost Horizons Of Wisdom (one of my favourites)
Lunar Aurora - Zyklus (their rather ambientic album)
Coldworld - Melancholie
whole Elysian Blaze discography
Nocternity - A Fallen Unicorn EP
Paysage D'Hiver - Winterkaelte (another project of Darkspace's frontman. Similar idea in music, but different concept. Music is AWESOME, but sound is somewhat "demo" quality)
Xasthur - Funeral Of Being
I Shalt Become - Wanderings
Sun Of Blind - Skullreader (sideproject of another member of Darkspace. Not purely "ambient" blackmetal, but darkspace influence is quite obvious)

This might be obvious recommendation, but Burzum - Filosofem. Afterall, this album is what gave birth to ambient, atmospheric and depressive/suicidial blackmetal genres.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #2,257 of 29,663
Anyone here into tech metal? I've been enjoying the two releases from Behold... The Arctopus lately. "You Will Be Reincarnated as an Imperial Attack Spaceturtle" is made of pure win and awesome.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #2,259 of 29,663

Quote:
Anyone here into tech metal? I've been enjoying the two releases from Behold... The Arctopus lately. "You Will Be Reincarnated as an Imperial Attack Spaceturtle" is made of pure win and awesome.

Some Tech is amazing. Mentioned them before, Necrophagist. Their rhythm riffs are more difficult than most solos these days, but not bland and boring. Beneath The Massacre are incredible. The Faceless are another good one.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #2,260 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:

Some Tech is amazing. Mentioned them before, Necrophagist. Their rhythm riffs are more difficult than most solos these days, but not bland and boring. Beneath The Massacre are incredible. The Faceless are another good one.

as far as tech death goes, i still think origin takes the cake, their cd Antithesis is freaking amazing, and the sound quality on it is out of this world. there's other good ones too though, like for a more melodic technical metal band, Allegaeon is pretty stellar, just found them about a month ago. also i really like Gorod from France, their cd Process of a New Decline is pretty good.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #2,261 of 29,663

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

as far as tech death goes, i still think origin takes the cake, their cd Antithesis is freaking amazing, and the sound quality on it is out of this world. there's other good ones too though, like for a more melodic technical metal band, Allegaeon is pretty stellar, just found them about a month ago. also i really like Gorod from France, their cd Process of a New Decline is pretty good.

Origin are pretty awesome. Decapitated, although probably not so much tech, are also an amazing band. <3 Day 69

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #2,262 of 29,663
Behold...the Arctopus are amazing.  Anyone who covers Coroner gets a big thumbs up from me.  Dillinger Escape Plan are easily my favorite technical band.  Their riffs are twisted and evil and the songs are short enough to leave you wanting more.  Zero use of cliched power-chords combined with intelligent and sparing use of melody makes them one of the most innovative bands around.

Some tech bands are just too tech and only tech, which equals monotony in my book.  But when it's mixed up with many other forms of music, you get magic.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #2,263 of 29,663
^ DEP exhausts me. I can say that about very few bands, but they are just so intense so much of the time, and their "breaks" don't seem to let up on the accelerator long enough for me to catch my breath. But yeah, they're insanely talented and wickedly creative. I love the balls it takes for them to just do whatever the bleep they want to with each new release.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #2,265 of 29,663

Quote:

LURKER OF CHALICE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back