Lets Talk Metal
Nov 7, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #2,194 of 29,664

Quote:
Yeah, I know them. Absolutely killer band. I see it as what At the Gates would have been if they had continued going for that aggressive sound

I thought At the Gates was in general considered a melo death metal band (Gothenburg) but I find a lot of the conversation in this thread is at least rooted in the idea that they would have become a BM group?  Why is that?  (or did I miss something, I may have since I admit, I skipped a couple of threads to listen to some YouTube posts).

I typically associated At the Gates with the likes of In Flames and Dark Tranquillity.

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #2,196 of 29,664

Quote:
Kamelot, Symphony X, Iced Earth and does Blind Guardian count?  Seeing them this month.  Their latest album just rocks.

Definitely Blind Guardian's newer stuff (note: I've only listened up to A Twist In The Myth) is a lot less harsh than death/black metal - a lot more melodic, almost... bardic. They're really buying into their theme of being bards in ATITM and there's a lot more use of acoustic stuff. In fact, my favorite song from that album is purely acoustic ("Skalds and Shadows"). My second favorite song on that album, "Dead Sound of Misery", is a lot more like some of the heavier tracks on A Night At The Opera. Personally though, I prefer their earlier works, back when they were a bit more speed metal (though, ANATO is still my favorite album of theirs, if only for "And Then There Was Silence" and "The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight").

Oh, and if you're going to recommend Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, by law you're required to also recommend Demons & Wizards - seeing as they're formed by Hansi Kürsch (lead vocalist of Blind Guardian), Jon Schaffer (rhythm guitarist of Iced Earth) and some slightly less-important people for drums/bass/guitar solos.

@lazyredhead: I also recommend Nightwish (pre-Anette*, back when Tarja was still the vocalist - so anything before Dark Passion Play), Leaves' Eyes, and possibly even Theatre of Tragedy (though their style radically changed when they switched vocalists). Nightwish and Leaves' Eyes are symphonic and don't rely as much on harsh, heavy noise (I use "noise" in the non-pejorative - basically they don't feature distorted guitars as much) as black/death/thrash metal. Theatre of Tragedy's early stuff is so slow paced and dark it might actually not suit your tastes (it's nothing like prog. metal), since they're gothic metal, but their later albums (i.e., Storm and Forever Is The World) might be more of your thing.

-- Griffinhart

*: For the record, I have nothing against Anette. I think she is a perfectly valid and perfectly good vocalist, and of the two Nightwish Anna songs I've heard, I thoroughly enjoyed one of them ("Amaranth" - the other one, "Bye Bye Beautiful", I thoroughly disliked). However, I prefer Tarja's vocals over Anette's - I mean, the difference is night and day. Tarja's a trained opera singer and her voice is powerful, fully the "sound" of Nightwish. Anette... not so much. When I first heard her, I thought I was listening to Evanescence. Totally different sound that wasn't the Nightwish I had loved since middle school.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #2,197 of 29,664

Quote:
Definitely Blind Guardian's newer stuff (note: I've only listened up to A Twist In The Myth) is a lot less harsh than death/black metal - a lot more melodic, almost... bardic. They're really buying into their theme of being bards in ATITM and there's a lot more use of acoustic stuff. In fact, my favorite song from that album is purely acoustic ("Skalds and Shadows"). My second favorite song on that album, "Dead Sound of Misery", is a lot more like some of the heavier tracks on A Night At The Opera. Personally though, I prefer their earlier works, back when they were a bit more speed metal (though, ANATO is still my favorite album of theirs, if only for "And Then There Was Silence" and "The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight").

Oh, and if you're going to recommend Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, by law you're required to also recommend Demons & Wizards - seeing as they're formed by Hansi Kürsch (lead vocalist of Blind Guardian), Jon Schaffer (rhythm guitarist of Iced Earth) and some slightly less-important people for drums/bass/guitar solos.

That is really funny.  I do have one Demons & Wizards album and its decent.  It equals the sum of its parts (not greater than).  If you really like Progressive Metal then you MUST check out Kamelot's Black Halo and/or Karma (my favorite, not the fan one).

I 100% agree about them being Heavy Metal Bards of our time.  But they are awesome, I can't wait to see them.

Please please check out Symphony X, I really believe Romeo is a very underrated guitar player.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #2,199 of 29,664
Anyone here heard Weakling's Dead as Dreams? It's quite easily my favorite metal album of all time, and this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of black metal outside of Emperor and Immortal. In fact, I'd put it in my Top 5 albums ever right alongside OK Computer, Abbey Road, and Operation: MIndcrime. I wrote a long review here: http://www.amazon.com/Weakling-Dead-As-Dreams-Audio/dp/B000Y8UMMO/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #2,200 of 29,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought At the Gates was in general considered a melo death metal band (Gothenburg) but I find a lot of the conversation in this thread is at least rooted in the idea that they would have become a BM group?  Why is that?  (or did I miss something, I may have since I admit, I skipped a couple of threads to listen to some YouTube posts).

I typically associated At the Gates with the likes of In Flames and Dark Tranquillity.

Slaughter of the Soul is a melodeath album. Whilst catchy and fun on occasion, it's also extremely weak and sterile. This album roots itself strongly in the Gothenburg scene and you are correct in your association. However, when I mention ATG, I usually refer to their debut album The Red in the Sky is Ours, which I consider to be one of the masterpieces of Death Metal (or all metal for that matter). This album, whilst 'melodic', incorporates a powerful death metal sound and has no ties to melodeath. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #2,203 of 29,664

Quote:
Anyone here heard Weakling's Dead as Dreams? It's quite easily my favorite metal album of all time, and this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of black metal outside of Emperor and Immortal. In fact, I'd put it in my Top 5 albums ever right alongside OK Computer, Abbey Road, and Operation: MIndcrime. I wrote a long review here: http://www.amazon.com/Weakling-Dead-As-Dreams-Audio/dp/B000Y8UMMO/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Its not a bad album. Havent paid it much attention though as it is not exactly my kind of blackmetal.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #2,204 of 29,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back