Lets Talk Metal
Feb 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #196 of 29,683
A few days ago i received a copy of Holy Diver , on vinyl as always...it's an awesome album...the inner sleeve even shows the bassist wearing a pair of Sextetts ( which were the standard production k240 back in the day )
biggrin.gif
There are holes in the headband ! I think i've definitely been affected by some audiophile disease...

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #199 of 29,683
I've heard it.. its okay.. I'm not a big LoG fan though because of his voice.. my favorite song from Sacrament was Redneck simply because that was the most understandable song (in terms of hearing english words from him and not.. noise)

Hmmm.. in retrospect, my opinion didn't help you much did it?
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #200 of 29,683
Heard some Obituary for the first time of my life. For some reason this classic band has always gone under my radar, untill now.

Just heard album Slowly We Rot. Hot damn, this is very high quality deathmetal! Very good stuff, great riffs and great solos, overall ALL OF THEM are great songs.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #202 of 29,683
Also noticed that this music REQUIRES Grado headphones. SA5000 with their cool midrange and detailed fast sound kills this music, but Grado captures the essence and grunt perfectly.

On sadder news, Sentenced guitarist Miika Tenkula is dead. He died on February 19, few days ago that is. While Sentenced is far from music I usually listen but they are still a good band and he will be missed. He was a great guitarist and song writer.

Reasons of his death is unclear, or not released, but it is presumed that alcohol played some role as he was heavy drinker or so they say.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #203 of 29,683
Just noticing on my Executioner's return CD that it is not a bright recording. The high end is rolled off nicely. Lots of metal is too bright. Decent recording actually. Yes it does sound great on the Grado's. But I just played some of it through my WA6 and D7000's just now and it was very nice. The guitars do sound a bit more forward and better through the Grados. KILLER!!

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #204 of 29,683
New LOG album is OK. Thats it, nothing more than that. They've tried some variations in vocals this time around. Stick to same verse/chorus/verse/chorus formula. Thats fine with me, only problem is, nothing really stands out and there arent any memorable riffs as such. Couple of songs stand out a bit, but you kinda wait for a really cool riff/part to show up and it never does. Guitar solos arent as annoying as they usually are, theres some semi decent stuff now. Chris adler is getting a bit monotonous, he is one of my fav metal drummers but he needs to go back to creating new rolls and fills like he did on "As the palaces burns". The doublets, triplets runs are getting old.

Recording quality is worse than Sacrament. Production wise, I would say the band has really gone downhill after Ashes of The Wake which was very well recorded for a loud metal band. Sacrament was average, but Wrath is just not good, its not quite Death Magnetic or Rise of the Tyrant, but its definitely not good.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #205 of 29,683
Just listened to Opeth "Lamentations" live dvd...well it's awesome quality wise,both audio and video...they played the entire Damnation album, followed by 4-5 heavy songs... great drum work by Lopez, on that mellow proggy rock his creativity was more evident than ever. Now watching Heaven and Hell live at Radio City Hall, still unbelievable sound quality....i wonder if recording like these are really done Live or in the studio...

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #207 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heard some Obituary for the first time of my life. For some reason this classic band has always gone under my radar, untill now.

Just heard album Slowly We Rot. Hot damn, this is very high quality deathmetal! Very good stuff, great riffs and great solos, overall ALL OF THEM are great songs.

Very cool. They're another band I have to look into seriously. I've youtubed a couple of videos and the music is really good.

Been continuing with my Death trip, with Symbolic and Sound of Perseverence. Probably don't like Symbolic as much as ITP (it's still really good though), but man, Sound of Perseverence is wicked. Techy/thrashy riffs, higher intensity drumming, and Chuck trying out a new black metal style voice. It's a winner!

Also been spending a lot of time with Necrophagist's Epitaph and Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten. I gotta say... in the face of the brilliance of Necrophagist, there's really nothing that I can recommend about Suffocation. Sure the blastbeating is faster, but Necro have such brilliant riffs, much more complex guitar/bass/drum work and better rythms overall. And the voice isn't quite as silly.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #208 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, man, now we're cooking with grease. Congrats!!!

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #209 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also been spending a lot of time with Necrophagist's Epitaph and Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten. I gotta say... in the face of the brilliance of Necrophagist, there's really nothing that I can recommend about Suffocation. Sure the blastbeating is faster, but Necro have such brilliant riffs, much more complex guitar/bass/drum work and better rythms overall. And the voice isn't quite as silly.

Necrophagist has great progressive death music.......

but limited by puzzling repetitive boring vocal delivery, gutteral spoken word vocals with no variation in tempo or tonal range, sounds like same vocal for every song.......so much more potential with just a minor amount of vocal variation added

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #210 of 29,683

Users who are viewing this thread

Back