Lets Talk Metal
Jan 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #27,016 of 29,653
True. But there was never much money in extreme metal to begin with. Nearly all the bands (including many of the most successful ones) supported themselves with other jobs.
That's true. But when they were known as Covenant they were signed to Nuclear Blast. At least my first pressing of Nexus Polaris is from NB. Being signed to a major label is not bad, at least you have a chance.
I presume that's because of the band being brought up here rather than coincidence?
Not sure. I do hear a strong Dimmu Borgir influence though, which makes sense as some members were in both bands at the time.
Nice!

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #27,017 of 29,653
That's true. But when they were known as Covenant they were signed to Nuclear Blast. At least my first pressing of Nexus Polaris is from NB. Being signed to a major label is not bad, at least you have a chance.

Nuclear Blast is a metal label that happens to be one of the more popular ones, not a major mainstream record label.

Some of their later albums were also released by Nuclear Blast. (Details on Metal-Archives.com.)

But what does that have to do with it? I am saying that nearly all extreme metal bands do not make a full-time living from their music, and even out of the ones who do, they aren't making a fortune or anything, save a few exceptions.

Not sure. I do hear a strong Dimmu Borgir influence though, which makes sense as some members were in both bands at the time.

It would appear you misunderstood the question. I'll rephrase it.

Were you playing that album anyway purely by coincidence? Or did you play it because the band was mentioned in this thread today?

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #27,018 of 29,653
But what does that have to do with it? I am saying that nearly all extreme metal bands do not make a full-time living from their music, and even out of the ones who do, they aren't making a fortune or anything, save a few exceptions.
I'm not saying they do. Even if you're signed to a major label (major by metal standards, no one is talking about mainstream record labels), there are no guarantees. What I said is that you at least get a shot. You are given decent promotion and an advance to record a couple of albums, then placed under the record company's watchful eye to see what you do with it. After a couple of albums you're expected to demonstrate some success and/or garner a social media presence. If you don't, next man up. I'm just stating the obvious that the band is in a different financial situation than they were in the 90s.
Were you playing that album anyway purely by coincidence? Or did you play it because the band was mentioned in this thread today?
I played the record a couple of months back and again today because it was brought up, yes. But how does that change the context or my perception of the music?

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #27,019 of 29,653
Jan 20, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #27,020 of 29,653
I'm afraid that's OCD in full force. Hints of good ideas that never go anywhere because the person is going around in circles. I'm talking about the last 2 albums. I think Jari was in a different headspace when he was in Ensiferum.

It's just being a diva. I could understand being a perfectionist... if he hadn't burned all of Nuclear Blast's money and then had a Kickstarter that also went nowhere, he's just been taking money from everyone he can and then not producing anything.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #27,021 of 29,653
It's just being a diva. I could understand being a perfectionist... if he hadn't burned all of Nuclear Blast's money and then had a Kickstarter that also went nowhere, he's just been taking money from everyone he can and then not producing anything.
Yes he does have some baggage. IMO he shouldn't have said TFS was an in-between album. That had him put on notice by the entire metal community. And I agree when you take in that much money from fan funding, you owe something decent in return. Whether TFS qualifies as decent is up for debate. I still think it's the OCD messing with his head and then everyone else.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #27,022 of 29,653
It's not just the fan funding. He got a crap-ton of advance money from Nuclear Blast and then just did nothing with it. The dude insisted that he needed this giant elaborate studio all for himself. I feel like it's more to do with him feeling like he's such an auteur that he "deserves" to have a massive studio and all the equipment he could possibly want. I remember him posting on Facebook crying about money and all I was thinking was how many metal musicians legit have full-time jobs because the music doesn't really pay well and then there's this guy.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #27,023 of 29,653
The dude insisted that he needed this giant elaborate studio all for himself. I feel like it's more to do with him feeling like he's such an auteur that he "deserves" to have a massive studio and all the equipment he could possibly want.
Yup, obsessing about perfection, which of course doesn't exist, except in one's head. Also known as OCD. Remember releasing separate tracks for TFS? How about feeling the need to remaster an album from 2012?

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #27,024 of 29,653
Yup, obsessing about perfection, which of course doesn't exist, except in one's head. Also known as OCD. Remember releasing separate tracks for TFS? How about feeling the need to remaster an album from 2012?

I don't think we're speaking the same language here at all.

Perfection is not insisting on having a lavish studio and not needing to work for money to fund your album. Perfection is painstakingly going over every note. There are scads of perfectionists making albums in bedrooms. Jari is an entitled prick who thinks he's so awesome that he just deserves to be showered with money for whatever he wants.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #27,025 of 29,653
My favourite metal (widest sense of the term) band at the moment is the not very well known, other bands are called the same name, but outstanding Canadian band "Cradle to Grave". They have two albums out and get only 18 listens a month on Spotify, which is outrageous, they should me massive! Facebook site here https://www.facebook.com/CRADLE2GRAVE/ and best track for me;

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #27,026 of 29,653
@SomeGuyDude

I put together an Abigor playlist for you. It's basically one track each from most of their releases from 1994 to 2007.

Silenius from Summoning was Abigor's vocalist from 1994 to 1999. Come to think of it, he's probably my favorite extreme metal vocalist. He sounds like some crazy bird creature from Lord Of The Rings. On Abigor's 2014 album, he was also the vocalist. Protector (the other member of Summoning, as I'm sure you're aware, but others may not be) did backup vocals. (Both appearing as session musicians.)

Side note: Summoning have a Bandcamp now with all their albums available. (Though the CDs are more of an experience than a digital download. Used CDs are really cheap too.)

https://summoning.bandcamp.com/music

("Crimson Horizons And Ashen Skies"; first six minutes)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #27,028 of 29,653

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/at...-to-drink-from-the-night-itself-album-in-may/

JFC can I publicly apologize for being a dick to you before? Wow, thank you!

lol. You mean our silly Meshuggah argument from seven months ago? I could have used more tact as well. I just hope you saw my hilarious shirt image! :laughing:

I do get what you were saying. They are kind of generic and monotonous in some ways...but at the same time, they're so creative and passionate, at least in my eyes.

Anyway, you should see now what I meant about Abigor's earlier material being legendary.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #27,029 of 29,653

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/at...-to-drink-from-the-night-itself-album-in-may/

lol. You mean our silly Meshuggah argument from seven months ago? I could have used more tact as well. I just hope you saw my hilarious shirt image! :laughing:

I do get what you were saying. They are kind of generic and monotonous in some ways...but at the same time, they're so creative and passionate, at least in my eyes.

Anyway, you should see now what I meant about Abigor's earlier material being legendary.

Meshuggah is brilliant, but I see how some may think it's just chugging. But man I love that band so much. Same with Code Orange, just something about some bands that's extremely creative all while sounding somewhat simple. Although I would NOT call meshuggah simple. Man, now I want to go back and find this argument, is it on this thread?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #27,030 of 29,653
Meshuggah is brilliant, but I see how some may think it's just chugging. But man I love that band so much. Same with Code Orange, just something about some bands that's extremely creative all while sounding somewhat simple. Although I would call meshuggah simple. Man, now I want to go back and find this argument, is it on this thread?

I trust you know this side project, then.

This hilarious music video never gets old.

It was...but don't bother, because I'd feel embarrassed to know more people are reading it. :flushed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back