Lets Talk Metal
Jan 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #25,849 of 29,640
Three days with no activity on this thread?!
eek.gif

Anyway...here's the new Pain Of Salvation album released yesterday.

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #25,850 of 29,640
lol, I've been really absorbed by the sony MDR-Z1R thread I forgot about this thread.

btw, have anyone tried that headphone with metal here, sorry if I'm going off-topic here.. 
not totally unrelated to metal I guess..
  Three days with no activity on this thread?!
eek.gif

Anyway...here's the new Pain Of Salvation album released yesterday.

i've never tried this band before, will research a little bit about them
I'm super hooked by Swallow The Sun at the moment, hehe

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #25,851 of 29,640
Similar story here, actually. I'm still fully submerged in the pool of headphone threads right now to find something new. I was interested in Nighthawks but got a last-minute call to turn away from them. What a shame, now the search starts all over again.
redface.gif

I think I have heard the name Pain of Salvation before? Maybe on a festival line-up poster or something. But nothing beyond that. I'll give them a listen tomorrow.

-----------------

Musically this year is so far pretty lame, I gotta admit. There's been no real announcements yet that got me particularly hooked. Let alone releases, but as the year is only half a month old, that's hardly a surprise.

The first big "highlight" (and I put that in quotes because it's only a highlight by lack of competition for now), is the announcement that Wintersun has finally announced that new stuff is coming out. And guess what, it's not Time II, it's something entirely different! Yay for nothing at all! Still though, hype I guess.

A highlight that also isn't one at all is the announcement that Dimmu Borgir are finally coming out of hiatus again... with a Live DVD. A Live DVD that contains two shows that were filmed roughly half a decade ago, one of which has actually already been broadcast! Literally yay for nothing at all. Hype is saved by them dropping a one-liner at the end of the announcement post, that 2017 has more gems in store. If it isn't a new album then I don't know.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #25,852 of 29,640
Musically this year is so far pretty lame, I gotta admit. There's been no real announcements yet that got me particularly hooked. Let alone releases, but as the year is only half a month old, that's hardly a surprise.  
The first big "highlight" (and I put that in quotes because it's only a highlight by lack of competition for now), is the announcement that Wintersun has finally announced that new stuff is coming out. And guess what, it's not Time II, it's something entirely different! Yay for nothing at all! Still though, hype I guess.

A highlight that also isn't one at all is the announcement that Dimmu Borgir are finally coming out of hiatus again... with a Live DVD. A Live DVD that contains two shows that were filmed roughly half a decade ago, one of which has actually already been broadcast! Literally yay for nothing at all. Hype is saved by them dropping a one-liner at the end of the announcement post, that 2017 has more gems in store. If it isn't a new album then I don't know.

See below.
wink_face.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_in_heavy_metal_music

Absu, Akercocke, Arch Enemy, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle Of Filth, Deicide, Demon Hunter, Dimmu Borgir, Dragonlord, Enslaved, Fear Factory, Immolation, Kreator, Marilyn Manson, Mastodon, Morbid Angel, Motograter, Nightrage, Pain Of Salvation, Papa Roach, Samael, Satyricon, Sepultura, Slayer, System Of A Down, Today Is The Day, Tool, and many more...

2017 is already shaping up to be a blast!

@monsterzero
Older bands also have new material in production. Accept, Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Danzig, Deep Purple, Iced Earth, Judas Priest, King Diamond, Metal Church, Queensrÿche, etc.

And click here to see a list of confirmed 2017 albums on Metal Archives. (192 so far.)

The Dimmu Borgir live DVD was announced a long time ago. They've also been working on their next studio album for years, but still no confirmation on a release date. You can check out their social media pages for videos of studio updates and the like.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #25,854 of 29,640
Similar story here, actually. I'm still fully submerged in the pool of headphone threads right now to find something new. I was interested in Nighthawks but got a last-minute call to turn away from them. What a shame, now the search starts all over again. :xf_eek:

I think I have heard the name Pain of Salvation before? Maybe on a festival line-up poster or something. But nothing beyond that. I'll give them a listen tomorrow.

-----------------

If you go back a couple pages and study people's year-end-lists it's a ton of stuff. I'm soo behind I still playing catch-up from last year. I think many will report last year was off-the-hook.

So if not much great stuff comes out in January, I'm actually pretty fine with that. New Kreator, should be good. I think we could be talking about 2016 releases till July, really.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #25,855 of 29,640
  The Dimmu Borgir live DVD was announced a long time ago. They've also been working on their next studio album for years, but still no confirmation on a release date. You can check out their social media pages for videos of studio updates and the like.

It's a weird scenario of "I knew this long ago but I'm still disappointed". I follow Dimmu on Facebook, and every time they changed their avatars I was hoping that now the big thing would come, but I've been tediously played with my emotions for a good portion of the last half decade. Not interested in a Live DVD anymore, I just want some new stuff.

That list is awesome, however. I was always looking at stuff like Amazon album releases in descending chronological order to find new stuff.
redface.gif

Quote:
@Selbi: What turned you away from Nighthawks? They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there are some (including me) here who absolutely adore them!

I've received a PM a short while after I announced that I have decided to buy the NH, which essentially told me that its weaknesses outweigh the pros. It was on a different forum though (I'm German and thus also browse some German HiFi forums; it's cool to get opinions from more than one place). Since I'm looking for a jack-of-all-trades headphone, I'm gonna stick with my Fidelio X2's for now, until I get the definite solution to my riddle. Sure, NH might be awesomely fun, but I will not spend the doubled price of my X2 on a headphone that is not fully satisfactory.

If you go back a couple pages and study people's year-end-lists it's a ton of stuff. I'm soo behind I still playing catch-up from last year. I think many will report last year was off-the-hook.

So if not much great stuff comes out in January, I'm actually pretty fine with that. New Kreator, should be good. I think we could be talking about 2016 releases till July, really.

As I've mentioned in another post before, these years-end-lists are mostly bands I've never even heard of before. Call me ignorant on that, but when I talk about release announcements that get me hooked, I obviously mean releases for bands I already know.

Speaking of Kreator, Overkill also got a new thing coming. It's essentially the same album for the fourth time in a row, but fortunately they got a musical style that allows for that to still be awesome. :D

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #25,856 of 29,640
Similar story here, actually. I'm still fully submerged in the pool of headphone threads right now to find something new. I was interested in Nighthawks but got a last-minute call to turn away from them. What a shame, now the search starts all over again. :xf_eek:

-----------------

Have you been on the metal headphone thread? Lots of helpful people there who listen to a lot of f different headphones. Link http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution/0_100

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #25,857 of 29,640
I've received a PM a short while after I announced that I have decided to buy the NH, which essentially told me that its weaknesses outweigh the pros. It was on a different forum though (I'm German and thus also browse some German HiFi forums; it's cool to get opinions from more than one place). Since I'm looking for a jack-of-all-trades headphone, I'm gonna stick with my Fidelio X2's for now, until I get the definite solution to my riddle. Sure, NH might be awesomely fun, but I will not spend the doubled price of my X2 on a headphone that is not fully satisfactory.

As I've mentioned in another post before, these years-end-lists are mostly bands I've never even heard of before. Call me ignorant on that, but when I talk about release announcements that get me hooked, I obviously mean releases for bands I already know.

Speaking of Kreator, Overkill also got a new thing coming. It's essentially the same album for the fourth time in a row, but fortunately they got a musical style that allows for that to still be awesome. :D

Overkill never gets talked about here? Don't know why, because they ARE awesome !!!!![VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nq6jjmYEZ88 [/VIDEO]

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #25,858 of 29,640
Have you been on the metal headphone thread? Lots of helpful people there who listen to a lot of f different headphones. Link http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution/0_100

Thanks for the link! Gonna ask around a little over there. :D

Quote:
Overkill never gets talked about here? Don't know why, because they ARE awesome !!!!!

They are underrated, but also pretty "uninteresting". I mean really, they've released the same album four times in a row. I couldn't tell one album song from another. But they're great to put on and enjoy during a gaming session or something.

I really dig their new opener song, especially that solo around 5:40. Don't look at the video (literally the worst lyrics video I've ever seen), but song is killer:

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #25,859 of 29,640
So, it's been slow around here. OK-some variety coming right up....

A couple of pick-ups for me

from the things you might have missed in 2016 category, I bought Eight Bells after seeing them on some lists and streaming their album Landless. You can't break you cranium 24/7. Put in the hard-to classify genre of metal. Difficult to explain: Doom/ambient/prog/black/post/Neurosis meets pink Floyd with layered female vocals -such a range of styles.

For anyone that may have liked Subrosa, Lotus Thief, Worm of Ouroborus, I like their new album....very unique sound. Ethereal and mellow with moments of extremity. Interesting band for sure. 

Now, for something much heavier, I'm back to picking up some OSDM bands from a group of DM lists. This weekend, I'm listening to some old school Finnish death that is great stuff-Demigod and Adramelich. Totally worth checking out.

Demigod-Slumber of Broken Eyes (1991)

If you like death metal, this scheeeit rules

Adramelech psychostasia (1996) -well recommended and a great album for the OSDM hordes. This is the first track. Love this kind of metal.

It's Youtube so the SQ blows. From BC it's solid.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #25,860 of 29,640
They are underrated, but also pretty "uninteresting". I mean really, they've released the same album four times in a row. I couldn't tell one album song from another. But they're great to put on and enjoy during a gaming session or something.

I really dig their new opener song, especially that solo around 5:40. Don't look at the video (literally the worst lyrics video I've ever seen), but song is killer:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Devil_Armory

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironbound_(album)

These above are the only two new records I have heard from them in years. When you think about it, it's a pretty competitive arena. Old bands like Exodus or Kreator are just soo good. Maybe a band like Overkill was something at one time but the bar has been raised today. Still around 2000 they had a cool innovative sound that no one had. I still listen to some of their stuff, but like you said they have never evolved farther or changed their sound. These posts here are pretty much the only reference to them in the whole thread. Just that in itself says something, because we talk about everything. Still I like that Necroshine song. It never gets old!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back