Lets Talk Metal
Jan 9, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #25,832 of 29,660
  I just got HE 400i for Christmas and I love them. They are fast and tight with good punch. Still in my first 150 hours though so apparently they might get even better soon. 

Paid $250 US on the holiday deal. 

Already had it. (Back when it was $500.) ...And probably most others people would mention.
tongue.gif

I want something with STAX-level transparency, neutrality and speed but with the impact and dynamics of the Yamaha HPH-MT220. Not sure if it exists, especially in this price range.

What is wrong with me...
ph34r.gif

1c045aa6_800order.png

I was so annoyed at the limited options at the budget I wanted to stick to that I just caved in and finally bought an HD 800!

I've heard it before so I know I like it a lot. (Except for occasional brightness, which can be fixed for the most part with EQ.) I also know plenty of people enjoy it directly from the Mojo. (Some even more than big amps.)

Hopefully I won't feel the need to spend more anytime soon. This hobby can get out of hand real quick.

In this thread, a modified/equalized HD 800 actually beat much more expensive headphones, which makes me even more intrigued to discover what it's capable of beyond stock. (In the best-case scenario, it'd be my endgame...but for someone like me who's crazy about headphones and music, that's not likely.)

[...]

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #25,833 of 29,660

How's the soundstage on them? Also, what about sharp treble or listening fatigue?

I don't have much to compare them with. And they are the first quality open backs I've had so the soundstage is a vast improvement on what I have owned.

However, I tend to sit in the stage pocket in my mind's eye (like where the vocalist usually does his/her thing) facing away from the drummer. And they help with that imaging enough to be an immersive experience for me. (kit just behind me and guitarists left and right - anyone that can image bass on headphones is a better man than I). 

No harsh treble. As for fatigue; I work from home and can have them on all day straight. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #25,834 of 29,660

Already had it. (Back when it was $500.) ...And probably most others people would mention.
tongue.gif

I want something with STAX-level transparency, neutrality and speed but with the impact and dynamics of the Yamaha HPH-MT220. Not sure if it exists, especially in this price range.

Lol. Yeah that sounds like an arduous pursuit in that price range. 

Do you feel you could list everything you've had. That way, you'll get more useful suggestions. 

I said the HE400i because I'm like a proud owner right now, hah!

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #25,835 of 29,660
  Lol. Yeah that sounds like an arduous pursuit in that price range. 

Do you feel you could list everything you've had. That way, you'll get more useful suggestions. 

I said the HE400i because I'm like a proud owner right now, hah!

Read the edit I just made to that post. 
biggrin.gif
And read through my profile to see current, past, and auditioned gear.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #25,837 of 29,660
  Read the edit I just made to that post. 
biggrin.gif
And read through my profile to see current, past, and auditioned gear.

That's one hell of a jump right there. Then again, your profile mentions you've already owned several (!) STAX and a gazillion other ones, so chances are you know what you're getting into.

Actually funny how this happens now. Today I was in a HiFi store for the first time in my life, really. And on this day you buy an HD 800. Coincidences...

They've had testing pairs for the STAX SR-207 and Sennheiser HD 800, so I could finally hear what all the mumbojumbo is about. In fact, I could do a pretty much side-by-side comparison, starting with the 800. Brought my trusty Fidelio X2 with me to the store just to see how much different they are. You get the picture.

However, when I've listened to the STAX immediately after putting away the HD 800 (as fast as possible, because audio memory is horrible in our brains), well, suddenly the 800 are to the STAX like my X2 are to the 800. There's clarity in the vocal sections that simply cannot be replicated by any dynamic headphone ever.

I've stayed in that store for roughly an hour and a half (how time flies with this stuff...), concluding that the endgame is a very difficult thing to quantify. Ignorance is bliss, and if I were to listen to the HD 800 again I'd probably try to avoid earspeakers of any kind, because they simply cannot be quantified.

To give credit where credit is due though, I believe the STAX had the worse soundstage. Now, that doesn't mean the soundstage is bad, but if I were to pick either of the two for JUST THAT feature, it'd be the 800.

Extra note: As you get your HD 800's and had some time to get involved with them, I'd like to have your bloodily honest review. Especially against the Nighthawks I'm curious. I'm aware we're talking about a tripled price difference, but maybe the NH are so unique that they still outdo the HD 800 somehow. :D

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #25,838 of 29,660
http://metalbandcamp.com/p/metal-labels-on-bandcamp.html

(Sooo much metal to discover.)

That's one hell of a jump right there. Then again, your profile mentions you've already owned several (!) STAX and a gazillion other ones, so chances are you know what you're getting into.

Actually funny how this happens now. Today I was in a HiFi store for the first time in my life, really. And on this day you buy an HD 800. Coincidences...

They've had testing pairs for the STAX SR-207 and Sennheiser HD 800, so I could finally hear what all the mumbojumbo is about. In fact, I could do a pretty much side-by-side comparison, starting with the 800. Brought my trusty Fidelio X2 with me to the store just to see how much different they are. You get the picture.

However, when I've listened to the STAX immediately after putting away the HD 800 (as fast as possible, because audio memory is horrible in our brains), well, suddenly the 800 are to the STAX like my X2 are to the 800. There's clarity in the vocal sections that simply cannot be replicated by any dynamic headphone ever.

I've stayed in that store for roughly an hour and a half (how time flies with this stuff...), concluding that the endgame is a very difficult thing to quantify. Ignorance is bliss, and if I were to listen to the HD 800 again I'd probably try to avoid earspeakers of any kind, because they simply cannot be quantified.

To give credit where credit is due though, I believe the STAX had the worse soundstage. Now, that doesn't mean the soundstage is bad, but if I were to pick either of the two for JUST THAT feature, it'd be the 800.

Extra note: As you get your HD 800's and had some time to get involved with them, I'd like to have your bloodily honest review. Especially against the Nighthawks I'm curious. I'm aware we're talking about a tripled price difference, but maybe the NH are so unique that they still outdo the HD 800 somehow. :D

I too preferred the SR-207 (driven by the SRM-212) over the stock HD 800 (driven by the 430HAD and, briefly, the HDVD 800)...but check out the EQ and modification info on the link provided above. According to them, with those tweaks it transforms into a different headphone that can do everything the Abyss does, but better! (While outperforming everything else they compared it to as well. I really have no idea how accurate that info is, but it's based on impressions from many members, so I'd say it's fairly reliable.)

I wouldn't make assumptions about what different driver technologies can and cannot do. Some of the more experienced HD 800 owners report that its microdetail is beyond what STAX is ever capable of, for example. Plus there are exotic dynamic headphones like the Sony MDR-R10 that are top-notch. (See here.) Plus you have to equalize headphones for many hours and play all the types of music you can to know what they can really do.

The NightHawk has impressive technical performance and a unique sound that is pretty interesting...but suffers from seriously bad frequency response aberrations and nasty reflections/resonances that ruin the sound for me. I love it maybe ten or twenty percent of the time and can't stand it at least half the time. Impact and dynamics are also somewhat lacking. I easily prefer my Koss KTXPRO1 over it overall, and it's only $10! I even spent hours last night equalizing the NightHawk to no avail. It is not something I would recommend to everyone. But I have yet to test it on the Mojo. People tell me it will sound a lot better paired with it. We'll see in two days...

http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6d/6de6f4f3_STAX_SR-207_EP-507_SB2217.png
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207EP507LeatherPadsSerNumSB22217.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf
http://goldenears.net/board/GR_Headphones/5772639
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf

Oh, and all headphones are by definition earspeakers. (Tiny speakers placed near or in your ears.)

Edit: For some reason there was a problem paying with my bank account via Amazon, so I had to call their payment processor and work things out. Hopefully there won't be an issue this time.
Update 2017/1/10 7 PM: Turns out Amazon's policy is to decline orders made via bank account when the item is more expensive than you have bought from them before. Ended up walking through the freezing rain for hours to get Amazon gift cards, then came home and successfully ordered the HD 800 in my underwear. ^‿^

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #25,839 of 29,660
Alright, this seems like a relevant topic to jump into; I'm listening right now, on my HD 800, to Ayreon - Universal Migrator, which I haven't listened to in quite a while. And to put it frankly it makes me happy to be alive. It sounds so amazing. And equalization was mentioned by Music Alchemist. Indeed, the HD 800 love to be equalized. Sorry that your order got cancelled. Would be interesting to hear what you would think of the HD 800 vs Stax and others after extensive listening.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #25,840 of 29,660

oldie from the time when I joined headfi :)

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #25,841 of 29,660

oldie from the time when I joined headfi :)

Interesting song. I quite liked the down-tuned stoner beginning, but the song kinda gets a little boring by the end, not much going on. 

Speaking of stoner, quite digging the latest Greenleaf release:

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #25,844 of 29,660
Anyone use the Zero Audio IEMs for metal? I just got the Tenore and although they sound pretty amazing in every area, the bass just leaves much to be desired in terms of just fun. Maybe the Basso would be a better suit for me?

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #25,845 of 29,660
I love those bands too.

Also check out Pomegranate Tiger, Polyphia, Scale the Summit and Sithu Aye.

Pomegranate Tiger's newest album Boundless is one of my all time favorites.

Anyone here into Trioscapes? Most metal band Ive heard with no guitar player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back