Lets Talk Metal
Jan 21, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #25,878 of 29,661
Yes, I know I missed some good stuff in 2016, so I'm trying to cull these lists.

Does anyone know if such a site exists?

If you're talking about sites that list top metal albums of the year, many of the lists here contain links to them.

...Which reminds me...I still need to finish a post I was planning with the best tracks from my 2016 album of the year...which is not a proper metal album, but a three-disc video game soundtrack compilation with lots of metal. (All exclusive material.)

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #25,879 of 29,661

I understand where you're coming from. You are correct that extreme metal is more popular here than traditional/classic heavy metal. Starting a thread to focus on that is one thing. But in your thread, you instructed posters to not discuss extreme metal...yet more than half of the genres you listed (and encouraged others to discuss) are extreme metal. If you do not want extreme metal to be discussed there, then one step towards that is to remove the extreme metal genres (death/melodeath, doom, speed, thrash, pagan, viking) from your list in the first post to resolve the contradiction.

Seconded.  To be helpful non extreme metal would be some progressive metal like Tool, less hardcore Nu Metal like Disturbed or Sevendust and so on, Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal such as Rammstein or traditional heavy metal like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Juda's Priest.  Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to be helpful.  Not looking for an argument or anything else my friend.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #25,881 of 29,661
  Would Power Metal like Nightwish or Helloween be considered extreme metal?  What about Lacuna Coil?  Just to make sure I'm thinking right here.

Not really. At least not usually. Power metal and gothic metal can be extreme metal under the right conditions, such as being mixed with other genres. For example, Children Of Bodom is melodic death/power metal and Moonspell is gothic metal that is sometimes mixed with more extreme genres.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #25,882 of 29,661

Not really. At least not usually. Power metal and gothic metal can be extreme metal under the right conditions, such as being mixed with other genres. For example, Children Of Bodom is melodic death/power metal and Moonspell is gothic metal that is sometimes mixed with more extreme genres.

Okay.  Thank you for the clarification.  Would Otep and Coal Chamber be extreme metal?  I know they are often called Nu Metal, but they seem more extreme to me.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #25,883 of 29,661
  Okay.  Thank you for the clarification.  Would Otep and Coal Chamber be extreme metal?  I know they are often called Nu Metal, but they seem more extreme to me.

Nu metal / alternative metal is not extreme metal.
wink.gif

Most would consider it to be entry-level metal, and some refuse to recognize it as "real" metal at all, since it's hardly more extreme than hard rock. (Though I do think it's metal.) Notice how the two bands you mentioned are not on Metal Archives.

Read through that link I posted about extreme metal. ...And listen to this. (Random black metal track.)

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #25,884 of 29,661
  Thank you I will,and yall kindly enjoy your thread.

You are welcome and I do follow your thread as well.  I am just stating the facts.  Not trying to be a jerk.  I enjoy both threads as they offer a different flavor of healthy discussion on different kinds of metal as they have different dominate sub genres as you stated.  You are correct their.  Just try to let stuff roll off your shoulders and and don't let it bother you my friend.  Then all will be good. 

Cheers

Riley

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #25,885 of 29,661

Nu metal / alternative metal is not extreme metal.
wink.gif

Most would consider it to be entry-level metal, and some refuse to recognize it as "real" metal at all, since it's hardly more extreme than hard rock. (Though I do think it's metal.) Notice how the two bands you mentioned are not on Metal Archives.

Read through that link I posted about extreme metal. ...And listen to this. (Random black metal track.)

Okay.  Thanks for the info.  I listen to a lot of classic hard rock as well and I might have a slightly different idea of what metal is due to what my dad considers metal.  My dad considers Sammy Hagar's early stuff metal.  Heck he even thinks a few songs off of Shinedown's first few albums is death metal. He is 25 years older than me so I sort of get it.  Him and I both think a lot alike.   I do consider Children Of Bodom Melodic Death Metal more than Power Metal  I looked them up on Metal Archives.  Been using it a lot lately.

Cheers

Riley

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #25,886 of 29,661
I'm on split opinion when it comes to Metal Archives used as an indicator for this stuff. There are a lot of bands missing on that site just because the admins think they are "not metal enough". And yet two-man garage bands with no releases that have disbanded a decade ago are on there fine.

I think Rammstein is pretty obviously Industrial Metal, but they are missing. I think System of a Down is pretty obviously Alternate Metal, but they are missing. I think Linkin Park is pretty obviously Nu Metal, but they are missing.

The list goes on.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #25,887 of 29,661
I'm on split opinion when it comes to Metal Archives used as an indicator for this stuff. There are a lot of bands missing on that site just because the admins think they are "not metal enough". And yet two-man garage bands with no releases that have disbanded a decade ago are on there fine.

I think Rammstein is pretty obviously Industrial Metal, but they are missing. I think System of a Down is pretty obviously Alternate Metal, but they are missing. I think Linkin Park is pretty obviously Nu Metal, but they are missing.

The list goes on.

Good points. I do consider all those bands metal in some respects. (Though obviously some of Linkin Park's music is straight-up rock, pop, electronic, rap, etc.)

You can get a better picture of their criteria here. (Click the options under the heavy metal only tab.)

http://www.metal-archives.com/content/rules

Here's one excerpt of something they do not accept, which is understandable enough.

Mallcore, also known as "nu-metal" by some (ex: Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool, Slipknot)

I'm more irked about certain metalcore bands being rejected. I mean, some Zao albums are "clearly more metal than core" on top of being crazier than most metal bands.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #25,888 of 29,661
Uhm.... what about experimental and avant-garde metal? Ne Obliviscaris can be generally classified as extreme metal, but what about the experimental component? It's not just prog... 
I find that most of the time the more jazzy side of metal is often neglected in those classifications (Cynic, Exivious, Gordian Knot) and the avant-garde as well (uneXpect). What do you guys think about this?

PS: Just had a look at the metal-archives criteria... well, Between the buried and me is definitely metal

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #25,889 of 29,661
  Uhm.... what about experimental and avant-garde metal? Ne Obliviscaris can be generally classified as extreme metal, but what about the experimental component? It's not just prog... 
I find that most of the time the more jazzy side of metal is often neglected in those classifications (Cynic, Exivious, Gordian Knot) and the avant-garde as well (uneXpect). What do you guys think about this?

PS: Just had a look at the metal-archives criteria... well, Between the buried and me is definitely metal

Here's what they have to say on the matter.

We do NOT accept the following

Metalcore and Deathcore, unless it's clearly more metal than core (e.g. Shadows Fall, The Red Chord, All Shall Perish are OK: Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, Between the Buried and Me, Suicide Silence are NOT). If you are uncertain, best avoid metalcore bands altogether.

Be careful if you submit a band with an ambiguous genre!
We've sometimes seen some bands listed as a genre that would seem fitting, but upon hearing the actual band we've had some pretty bad surprises... So consider the following genres to be "ambiguous", in the sense that if we see a band with one of these terms in their genre field, we WILL be wary:

Progressive/avant-garde - Could mean anything, really Also, there is a difference between prog rock and prog METAL. We've even had near-mallcore bands listed as such.

Avant-garde/Experimental - usually refers to bands with a myriad of different influences, some of it metal, but rarely refers to bands that are predominantly metal.

If your question is whether those bands are listed and which genres they are listed as, you can type their names in the search field. (If this was not your question, and/or if anything else I covered was redundant, I apologize.)

Between The Buried And Me: not listed
Cynic: thrash metal (early), progressive death metal/fusion (mid), progressive rock (later)
Exivious: progressive death metal/jazz fusion (early), progressive metal/jazz fusion (later)
Gordian Knot: progressive metal/rock
Ne Obliviscaris: extreme progressive metal
Unexpect: avant-garde/progressive metal

Wikipedia lists Between The Buried And Me as progressive metal, technical death metal, avant-garde metal, and metalcore...which sounds plenty metal to me...but perhaps their metalcore roots buried (pun intended) their potential to be approved. haha

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #25,890 of 29,661
Here's what they have to say on the matter.

If your question is whether those bands are listed and which genres they are listed as, you can type their names in the search field. (If this was not your question, and/or if anything else I covered was redundant, I apologize.)

Between The Buried And Me: not listed
Cynic: thrash metal (early), progressive death metal/fusion (mid), progressive rock (later)
Exivious: progressive death metal/jazz fusion (early), progressive metal/jazz fusion (later)
Gordian Knot: progressive metal/rock
Ne Obliviscaris: extreme progressive metal
Unexpect: avant-garde/progressive metal

Wikipedia lists Between The Buried And Me as progressive metal, technical death metal, avant-garde metal, and metalcore...which sounds plenty metal to me...but perhaps their metalcore roots buried (pun intended) their potential to be approved. haha

Btbam, aside from being one of my favorite bands, metal or not, represents - to me, at least - many of the things that make metal my favorite style of music. I'm not saying you have to like your jazz in your deathcore or you have to like metalcore in your prog metal (I happen to enjoy their creative genre-bending), but I'm not sure why their use of metalcore somehow makes them less extreme, or less worthy.

Btbam is a band that helped me get past Killswitch Engage and later Underoath, and into a whole new world of heavy music.

I could go on about this, but I am a bit defensive about Btbam because they are always trying to do creative things with metal. Even if you don't love the final product, I think it's important to appreciate what they're trying to do.

Also, I love Ne Obliviscaras for similar reasons.

Not trying to start an argument by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back