Lets Talk Metal
Nov 29, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #25,081 of 29,664
With apologies, I screwed up the links on the albums on my lists above, so don't quote it! I've been trying to edit or delete the post and it just freezes up every time!
Nice, there’s a lot of shared tastes happening, Gojira (one of my all-time favorite live bands), SubRosa, Hail Spirit Noir, Neurosis, Messa and Oranssi Pazuzu are also in my second list, which I’ll show part of below. I got to see Oranssi Pazuzu at the Roadburn Festival in Tilburg last April, and amazing experience! I’ve seen Meshuggah, they are very impressive, even though I don’t listen to them often.

Heavy Metal

Black/Death/Sludge/Doom/Technical/Speed/Prog/Avant Metal

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #25,083 of 29,664
  My list is a bit different though :)

Revocation - Great Is Our Sin ( Its just Perfect. A Mastodon/TBDM mix )
Insomnium - Winters Gate
Ulcerate - Shrines Of Paralysis 
Anciiients - Voice Of The Void
Virvum - Illuminance ( If you like Beyond Creation, you have to like them)
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Intonate - The Swerve
Gojira - Magma
Nucleus - Sentient
Kvelertak - Nattersferd
Entropia - Ufonaut
Vektor - Terminal Redux
The Zenith Passage - Solipsist
Murder Made God - Ensalved
Zhrine - Unortheta
Cobalt - Slow Forever
Toothgrinder - Nocturnal Masquerade (Its poppy)
Vipassi - Sunyata

I need to add Zhrine to my list. That's a top album for me. I haven't heard Kvelertak or Revocation yet, and I like their output pretty well. I was kind of disappointed with Cobalt. I liked the songs individually, but found it a chore to get through the whole thing.  

I like the the last two Gojira albums-especially The Way Of All flesh, but after the new car smell wore off, I think the new one pretty much blows.....I think they were trying to get "Black Album" alternative hard rock radio exposure  or maybe do a Mastodon play. Catchy songs for a first listen, but not much repeat play time for me.But, I know some of you dig it and that's cool :)

For that reason, I'm unable to force myself through two hours of new Metallica....maybe on a rainy day. I actually didn't hate Death Magnetic when it came out-other than how loud it s.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #25,084 of 29,664
Lots of activity here recently! I love lists, especially lists that are posted a month before the end of the year, which gives me plenty of time to listen to everyone else's and have mine pretty well cemented by the last day of the year. I tend to shuffle my personal list around a lot--something that might be in my #1 spot one month will be in #10 the next, so mine is still very much in flux. My top 5 at the moment would probably have to be:

5. Cobalt: Slow Forever
4. Gorguts: Pleiades' Dust
3. Fates Warning: Theories of Flight
2. Ulcerate: Shrines of Paralysis
1. Death Angel: The Evil Divide

Other albums very much up for consideration are the new Schammasch, Vektor, Deathspell Omega, Wormrot, Dillinger Escape Plan, Entropia, Destroyer 666, Be'lakor, Alcest, Oranssi Pazuzu, and Inquisition. I see a lot of Khemmis on lists--I very much enjoyed their first one and haven't listened to their new one yet, so I'll have to rectify that.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #25,085 of 29,664
Lots of great metal listed. I can see lots of you guys dig death and tech death, which is not my favourite. Some albums I don't recall seeing on lists that are worth checking out:
Darkher - Realms
T
hy Catafalque - Meta
Be'lakor - Vessels
Wildernessking - Mystical Future
Inter Arma - Paradise Gallows
Caïna - Christ Clad in White Phosphorous
The Vision Bleak - The Unknown
Hemina - Venus
Vainaja - Verenvalaja
Messa - Belfry
Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary
Batushka – Litourgiya (late 2015 but close enough lol)

Lots of others too - but these I have heard recently and recall:)

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #25,086 of 29,664
  Lots of activity here recently! I love lists, especially lists that are posted a month before the end of the year, which gives me plenty of time to listen to everyone else's and have mine pretty well cemented by the last day of the year. I tend to shuffle my personal list around a lot--something that might be in my #1 spot one month will be in #10 the next, so mine is still very much in flux. My top 5 at the moment would probably have to be:

5. Cobalt: Slow Forever
4. Gorguts: Pleiades' Dust
3. Fates Warning: Theories of Flight
2. Ulcerate: Shrines of Paralysis
1. Death Angel: The Evil Divide

Other albums very much up for consideration are the new Schammasch, Vektor, Deathspell Omega, Wormrot, Dillinger Escape Plan, Entropia, Destroyer 666, Be'lakor, Alcest, Oranssi Pazuzu, and Inquisition. I see a lot of Khemmis on lists--I very much enjoyed their first one and haven't listened to their new one yet, so I'll have to rectify that.

Yes, I enjoyed those very much (that I bolded).

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #25,087 of 29,664
Few Changes and some reasoning

Quote:
  My list is a bit different though :)

Revocation - Great Is Our Sin ( Its just Perfect. A Mastodon/TBDM mix )
ONE CHANGE: 40 WATT SUN ( I just love the vocals and the vibe. This did what Katatonia couldn't do.
Insomnium - Winters Gate ( Reminded me of Edge Of Sanity)
Ulcerate - Shrines Of Paralysis (Ahead of The Game by a long way)
Anciiients - Voice Of The Void (Maybe, this is how Opeth should have turned :) )
Virvum - Illuminance ( If you like Beyond Creation, you have to like them)
Blood Incantation - Starspawn (Solid Old School Tech Death( I am not sure if the classification is correct)
Intonate - The Swerve ( I love me sum Tech Death)
Gojira - Magma (Gojira, is preferred to Mesghuggah. Even though I like Meshuggah, but not that much as many others)
Nucleus - Sentient (Old School Tech Death)
Kvelertak - Nattersferd (This is an amalgam)
Entropia - Ufonaut (Weird Death/Black Metal ?)
Vektor - Terminal Redux (Prog Thrash - Genre Defining?)
The Zenith Passage - Solipsist ( Proper Tech Death)
Murder Made God - Ensalved
Zhrine - Unortheta (Ulcerate vibe, but not as complext ?)
Cobalt - Slow Forever ( Wierdly Black)
Toothgrinder - Nocturnal Masquerade (Its poppy)
Vipassi - Sunyata (Instrumental Ne Obleviscaris)

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #25,088 of 29,664

I love thsi video dont know why :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #25,089 of 29,664

what about this guy? Learnt about him from this thread. Amazing :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #25,091 of 29,664

but I have a real distaste for any music that feels like I'm supposed to be so wowed by the skill of the players that whether or not the songs are any good falls by the wayside.   

Huge +1

My buddy plays guitar and is always raving about Stanley Jordan and his skills...i have tried so many times to get into his music,and I simply cannot.

I talk about Zakk Wylde or Carlos Santana or Jimi Hendrix or any of my favorite guitar players,and hes always "yeah,theyre okay but they cant do what Stanley Jordan does"

I have just gotten to the point where I dont talk guitar with him anymore.If I have to try and like a song or band,chances are its usually not worth my time.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #25,092 of 29,664
  Lots of great metal listed. I can see lots of you guys dig death and tech death, which is not my favourite. Some albums I don't recall seeing on lists that are worth checking out:
Darkher - Realms

Be'lakor - Vessels
Inter Arma - Paradise Gallows
The Vision Bleak - The Unknown
Vainaja - Verenvalaja
Messa - Belfr

Lots of others too - but these I have heard recently and recall:)

Put me on board with your above choices! Inter Arma probably makes my top ten.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #25,093 of 29,664
Nov 29, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #25,094 of 29,664
  I actually like this!

I guess im the old man around here...i dont really dig too much of the new metal stuff.

Can anyone recommend new metal bands along the lines of Priest/Accept?

and/or anything like Arch Enemy/Parasite Inc? Thats about as fast as I can tolerate....I have a "no blastbeat" policy.

Great album for sure - really unique sound. You might like 
Wildernessking - Mystical Future. I think it has an "old school" sound going for it.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #25,095 of 29,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back