Lets Talk Metal
Nov 28, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #25,066 of 29,681
One of these days I'll understand why Meshuggah is so popular.

Before this, i thought the same when i listen to meshuggah. Repetitive, chugging non stop till you died and people listen to this schit seriously? Then, one day i listened carefully the rhythm. The intricate beats, odd time signature, polyrhythmic drum. I was mind blown by that complexity. Ya, Meshuggah is all about rhythm.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #25,067 of 29,681
Before this, i thought the same when i listen to meshuggah. Repetitive, chugging non stop till you died and people listen to this schit seriously? Then, one day i listened carefully the rhythm. The intricate beats, odd time signature, polyrhythmic drum. I was mind blown by that complexity. Ya, Meshuggah is all about rhythm.

Math metal for sure.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #25,068 of 29,681
  One of these days I'll understand why Meshuggah is so popular.

Because it djents.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #25,069 of 29,681
Nov 28, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #25,071 of 29,681
Ulcerate - Shrines of Paralysis
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation
Khemmis - Hunted
Vektor - Terminal Redux
Insomnium - Winter's Gate
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Coma Cluster Void - Mind Cemeteries

My top albums for now. Sorry for noob list

Looks good to me. There's still a bunch of stuff I haven't had enough time with, or haven't listened to at all. But, this is my current 2016 break down. I'm pretty solid about the first six, after that things kind of shift around:

Ulcerate-Shrines of Paralysis
 Sub Rosa-For This We Fought the Battle of Ages
Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas-Mariner
Vektor-Terminal Redux
Howls of Ebb-The Pendlamic Vows
Inter Arma-Paradise Gallows-

Hammers of Fortune-Dead Revolution
Katatonia- Fall of Hearts
Inquisition- Bloodshed across....
Asphyx-Incoming Death
Neuurosis Fire Within Fires
Phobocosm-Bringer of Draught
Goatess-Purgatory Under New Management-Verenvalaja
Forteresse-Themes Pour La Rebellion
Vainaja
Messa-Belfry
Deathspell Omega

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #25,072 of 29,681
I like meshuggah's music, but could never get over how crappy the vocals are. Dull and boring. Below pae vocals is a serious pet peeve of mine, unfortunately a lot of metal is like that.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #25,074 of 29,681

Dude, I play several instruments, including drums, took theory courses, have done performing, the like. More than that, rhythm is my life, I judge headphones largely by how well they represent the rhythm section. The issue is that people get so dazzled because OMGPOLYRHYTHMS like that's such a radical concept that I seriously feel like no one cares that their songcraft is severely lacking. 

Yeah, I'm as IMPRESSED as anyone else with Tomas Haake's ability to play hertas at top speed in a 4/4 polymeter during Bleed complete with ghosts on the snare, but that doesn't mean it's fun to listen to for six minutes. I love me some monotonous death metal (seriously, I adore the dumbest slam/BDM out there), but I have a real distaste for any music that feels like I'm supposed to be so wowed by the skill of the players that whether or not the songs are any good falls by the wayside. 

The thing about good songwriting is they don't just go "here check out this odd time signature" and just stop there, they use the odd time sig to do something. Tool is kinda overrated, but Schism is a great example because it layers multiple sigs throughout itself but actually gives some melody to justify it beyond complexity for its own sake. March of the Pigs by Nine Inch Nails did something similar by doing what is, depending on your preferred way of looking at it, either three bars of 7/8 followed by one of 8/8 or one giant bar of 29/8 but unless you're actually counting beats you probably wouldn't notice. Why? Because the song came first. Songs should always come first.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant, and sometimes I enjoy a little Meshuggah, but I think it's almost entirely because their production is incredible. It's VERY heavy and crushing. However, if I'm looking for that kinda sound, I'll go with Gojira.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #25,075 of 29,681
Dude, I play several instruments, including drums, took theory courses, have done performing, the like. More than that, rhythm is my life, I judge headphones largely by how well they represent the rhythm section. The issue is that people get so dazzled because OMGPOLYRHYTHMS like that's such a radical concept that I seriously feel like no one cares that their songcraft is severely lacking. 

Yeah, I'm as IMPRESSED as anyone else with Tomas Haake's ability to play hertas at top speed in a 4/4 polymeter during Bleed complete with ghosts on the snare, but that doesn't mean it's fun to listen to for six minutes. I love me some monotonous death metal (seriously, I adore the dumbest slam/BDM out there), but I have a real distaste for any music that feels like I'm supposed to be so wowed by the skill of the players that whether or not the songs are any good falls by the wayside. 

The thing about good songwriting is they don't just go "here check out this odd time signature" and just stop there, they use the odd time sig to do something. Tool is kinda overrated, but Schism is a great example because it layers multiple sigs throughout itself but actually gives some melody to justify it beyond complexity for its own sake. March of the Pigs by Nine Inch Nails did something similar by doing what is, depending on your preferred way of looking at it, either three bars of 7/8 followed by one of 8/8 or one giant bar of 29/8 but unless you're actually counting beats you probably wouldn't notice. Why? Because the song came first. Songs should always come first.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant, and sometimes I enjoy a little Meshuggah, but I think it's almost entirely because their production is incredible. It's VERY heavy and crushing. However, if I'm looking for that kinda sound, I'll go with Gojira.

Oh ya, now you're talking. Magma totally does that for me. Awesome album.

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #25,076 of 29,681
Looks good to me. There's still a bunch of stuff I haven't had enough time with, or haven't listened to at all. But, this is my current 2016 break down. I'm pretty solid about the first six, after that things kind of shift around:

[COLOR=FF9000]Ulcerate-Shrines of Paralysis[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000] Sub Rosa[/COLOR]-[COLOR=FF9000]For This We Fought the Battle of Ages[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas[/COLOR]-[COLOR=FF9000]Mariner[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Vektor[/COLOR]-[COLOR=FF9000]Terminal Redux[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Howls of Ebb-The Pendlamic Vows[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Inter Arma-Paradise Gallows[/COLOR]-

[COLOR=FF9000]Hammers of Fortune-Dead Revolution[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Katatonia- Fall of Hearts[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Inquisition-[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF9000]Bloodshed across....[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Asphyx[/COLOR]-[COLOR=FF9000]Incoming Death[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Neuurosis Fire Within Fires[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Phobocosm-Bringer of Draught[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Goatess-Purgatory Under New Management-Verenvalaja[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Forteresse-Themes Pour La Rebellion[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Vainaja[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Messa-Belfry[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF9000]Deathspell Omega[/COLOR]

Great list. I forgot to include subrosa and cult of luna. Another top albums

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #25,077 of 29,681

Sorry if I offended you. Definitely you are more knowledgeable than me. I see where you're coming from. Listening to meshuggah for a long time might be a chore because sometime things get really monotonous. I agreed song writing came first before technicality. But there is something that unexpected change of rhythm combines with repetitive riff makes me hypnotized. These elements create such a unique atmosphere that makes me to listen over and over again. And Im no musician, just an average music lover

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #25,078 of 29,681
Nice, there’s a lot of shared tastes happening, Gojira (one of my all-time favorite live bands), SubRosa, Hail Spirit Noir, Neurosis, Messa and Oranssi Pazuzu are also in my second list, which I’ll show part of below. I got to see Oranssi Pazuzu at the Roadburn Festival in Tilburg last April, and amazing experience! I’ve seen Meshuggah, they are very impressive, even though I don’t listen to them often.

Heavy Metal

Black/Death/Sludge/Doom/Technical/Speed/Prog/Avant Metal

• Madder Mortem – Red In Tooth And Claw (Dark Essence/Karisma) | Bandcamp
  • Anciients – Voice Of The Void (Season Of Mist) | Bandcamp
  • 40 Watt Sun – Wider Than The Sky (Radiance)
  • SubRosa – For This We Fought The Battle Of Ages (Profound Lore) | Bandcamp
  • Hail Spirit Noir – Mayhem In Blue (Dark Essence) | Bandcamp
  • Vektor – Terminal Redux (Earache) | Bandcamp
  • Gojira – Magma (Roadrunner)
  • Oranssi Pazuzu – Värähtelijä (20 Buck Spin)
  • Furia – Księżyc milczy luty (Pagan) | Bandcamp
  • 11Paranoias – Reliquary For A Dreamed Of World (Ritual) | Bandcamp
  • Mammoth Weed Wizard person – Y Proffwyd Dwyll (New Heavy Sounds) | Bandcamp
  • Spider Kitten – Ark Of Octofelis (Undergroove) | Bandcamp
  • Virus – Memento Collider (Karisma) | Bandcamp
  • Horseburner – Dead Seeds, Barren Soil (Horseburner) | Bandcamp
  • Ghoul – Dungeon Bastards (Tankcrimes) | Bandcamp
  • Whores. – Gold (eOne)
  • Messa – Belfry (Aural) | Bandcamp
  • Neurosis – Fires Within Fires (Neurot)
  • Crowbar – The Serpent Only Lies (Steamhajmmer)
  • Kvelertak – Nattesferd (Roadrunner)
  • Cough – Still They Pray (Relapse) | Bandcamp
  • Atomikylä – Keräily (Svart) | Bandcamp
  • Conan – Revengeance (Napalm)
  • Blood Incantation – Starspawn (Dark Descent)
  • Revocation – Great Is Our Sin (Metal Blade) | Bandcamp
  • Cobalt – Slow Forever (Profound Lore) | Bandcamp
  • Black Shape Of Nexus – Carrier (Exile on Mainstream) | Bandcamp
  • Red Fang – Only Ghosts (Relapse) li>Cult Of Luna & Julie Christmas – Mariner (Indie)
  • Hellbringer – Awakened From The Abyss (HR) | Bandcamp
  • Abbath – Abbath (Season Of Mist)

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #25,079 of 29,681
Listening to meshuggah for a long time might be a chore because sometime things get really monotonous. I agreed song writing came first before technicality. But there is something that unexpected change of rhythm combines with repetitive riff makes me hypnotized. These elements create such a unique atmosphere that makes me to listen over and over again. And Im no musician, just an average music lover

I don't mind Meshuggah, but you have to be in the right mood for it. Although I got nearly everything they released, I only listen to them every once in awhile. Usually I'll just add a track or three to a playlist without sitting through full albums.

Most Meshuggah fans already know this side project, but I'll share it just in case.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #25,080 of 29,681

Ulcerate-Shrines of Paralysis
 Sub Rosa-For This We Fought the Battle of Ages
Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas-Mariner
Vektor-Terminal Redux
Howls of Ebb-The Pendlamic Vows
Inter Arma-Paradise Gallows-

Hammers of Fortune-Dead Revolution
Katatonia- Fall of Hearts
Inquisition- Bloodshed across....
Asphyx-Incoming Death
Neuurosis Fire Within Fires
Phobocosm-Bringer of Draught
Goatess-Purgatory Under New Management-Verenvalaja
Forteresse-Themes Pour La Rebellion
Vainaja
Messa-Belfry
Deathspell Omega

My list is a bit different though :)

Revocation - Great Is Our Sin ( Its just Perfect. A Mastodon/TBDM mix )
Insomnium - Winters Gate
Ulcerate - Shrines Of Paralysis 
Anciiients - Voice Of The Void
Virvum - Illuminance ( If you like Beyond Creation, you have to like them)
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Intonate - The Swerve
Gojira - Magma
Nucleus - Sentient
Kvelertak - Nattersferd
Entropia - Ufonaut
Vektor - Terminal Redux
The Zenith Passage - Solipsist
Murder Made God - Ensalved
Zhrine - Unortheta
Cobalt - Slow Forever
Toothgrinder - Nocturnal Masquerade (Its poppy)
Vipassi - Sunyata

Users who are viewing this thread

Back