Lets Talk Metal
Nov 28, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #25,039 of 29,701
Good choices.  Been into Dimmu a bit since they played Ozzfest.  My family is from Norway so that is why I originally liked them being they were from mNorway too.  Didn't see the tour, but started digging them then.  Meshuggah has always been a favorite of a more hardcore sound as well,  Mostly at the time I liked Nu Metal and more hard rock stuff.  Kreator is awesome too.  Have heard Nile, but not in a long time.  Just starting to get more int the really hardcore stuff lately as well as been into power/sympohonic/gothic metal for several months now.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #25,041 of 29,701
@Riley Beale: My wife's dad is from Sweden. I've been over a couple times now. Went to Oslo the last time, too.

I have never been, but hear it is expensive and beautiful..  My grandpa's grandpa and grandma came over from Norway in I believe the early 1900's.  My family is proud of being from Norway originally and on my Step Mom's side they are proud of being Irish.  They go to Ireland every few years.  I am also Irish on my real Mom's side so I am into the whole Irish thing too.  I would love to go to Norway if I ever could afford it and Ireland too.  I am not sure which area we originate from. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #25,042 of 29,701
Riley Beale: Speaking of Ireland...

My daughter's wrapping up her undergraduate work with a semester abroad in Dublin in spring term. My wife and I might head over to visit her. Should be fun. I'm trying to convince my wife that we need a side trip to Scotland, so I can partake of a few drams of whisky :wink:

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #25,044 of 29,701
  They're "good albums" in their own right, but as someone who fell in love with them from Still Life and Blackwater Park the new ones are basically a different band. 

IMO Opeth are just brilliant. The trouble is they refuse to appeal to what is expected of them, and instead just do what they want, when they want, how they want and extremely well. At first listen I hated Sorceress, but upon re-listens I think I get what they are doing and love it. It was so unexpected of them (from me) that it took me a while to re-adjust my expectations and enjoy it.

If you are a metalhead and that is all you listen to, you will likely not appreciate what Opeth has done since Heritage. However I enjoy many forms of music and accept and love the direction Opeth has chosen.

YMMV, IMHO, yada yada yada

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #25,045 of 29,701
  IMO Opeth are just brilliant. The trouble is they refuse to appeal to what is expected of them, and instead just do what they want, when they want, how they want and extremely well. At first listen I hated Sorceress, but upon re-listens I think I get what they are doing and love it. It was so unexpected of them (from me) that it took me a while to re-adjust my expectations and enjoy it.

If you are a metalhead and that is all you listen to, you will likely not appreciate what Opeth has done since Heritage. However I enjoy many forms of music and accept and love the direction Opeth has chosen.

YMMV, IMHO, yada yada yada

Get out of my brain, lol. I'm listening to Sorceress now, and was thinking the same thing. Yes, I agree Opeth is a different band now. If they had just changed their name before Heritage, I think this shift would have been received better.

This is similar (though to a different extent) to one of my favorite bands, Thrice. Since 2008/2009, they've become a very different - and in my opinion - far more interesting band than the one they started as. But, since they're not very heavy anymore, a lot of their old fans don't like their music anymore. 

But, yes, YMMV, etc.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #25,046 of 29,701

Get out of my brain, lol. I'm listening to Sorceress now, and was thinking the same thing. Yes, I agree Opeth is a different band now. If they had just changed their name before Heritage, I think this shift would have been received better.

This is similar (though to a different extent) to one of my favorite bands, Thrice. Since 2008/2009, they've become a very different - and in my opinion - far more interesting band than the one they started as. But, since they're not very heavy anymore, a lot of their old fans don't like their music anymore. 

But, yes, YMMV, etc.

For sure. I hope Opeth (by not changing their name) have paved the way for it to be acceptable for other bands to change their sound as they see fit. Too many bands just get stuck on the "money-making sound" and stagnate (I am looking at you, Slayer) - by choice (lazy) or force (label).

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #25,047 of 29,701
Nov 28, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #25,048 of 29,701
  This is SWEET! Love the crunchy guitars. Never heard of this band before, thanks for this

Maybe I should have bavinck do all my posts for me?!? From over a month ago:

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/hunted-2" href="http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/hunted-2">Hunted by Khemmis</a>

This is out Friday but available now on Bandcamp. Last year's debut Absolution from the Denver band was really great, and this is even better. A little rock 'n' doom along the lines of 20 Buck Spin labelmates Magic Circle, some Thin Lizzy harmonized guitar leads, clean vocals along the lines of Pallbearer but better, and some nice heavier spinecrushing moments too. Plus the Uncle Fester-like cartoon wizard from last year is back on the new cover. Check out the Cthulu beast on the shield! | My Review - http://fastnbulbous.com/khemmis-hunted/

Here's my latest post:

Heavy Metal Rundown: Best of 2016
http://fastnbulbous.com/heavy-metal-rundown-2016/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back