Lets Talk Metal
Nov 29, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #25,112 of 29,681

Ah. Well, if you want clean/sung vocals, you may like these albums.

(These are just a few. There are thousands out there.)

Shinning Path and Nevermore was good...now were getting somewhere....Lacuna coil to a lesser extent(heard them before)

the other stuff was too...Opera-like(dunno the correct terminology)...and the last band vocals too angry.

I'm an older guy, too. There's a fair amount of retro metal. If you're from the Sabbath school there's all kinds of traditional doom and stoner metal-I'm thinking of bands like High on Fire, YOB, Monster Magnet, Kyuss, Truckfighters, Sword. There's an album out this year Goatess you might like. Hammers of misfortune has a throw back NWOBHM prog vibe.

Do you like 80's thrash? Then, there's tons of newer bands you could check out. And, older bands still pumping out new music. How about Kreator, Testament, Slayer, Sepultura, Machine Head, Overkill? If you go to the AMG website and you'll routinely see bands that are described as having an 80's classic metal sound. Fates Waring has an album a lot of people are digging this year. 

Nah never really liked traditional thrash..."Kill em All" to me was one of the best albums ever made,of any genre,but most the rest of the genre sounded(to me)like one big pissing contest as to who could play faster,or angrier or heavier. Its one of the reasons i love Motorhead so much...they did it first,they did it the best and they never tried to outdo anybody else...they were just who they were,love em or hate em.

Dont like stoner/doom either...ive tried.

TL,DR NWOBHM sound is what i like,with early Metallica,some Mercyful Fate,and some of the newer bands..Opeth,Parasite Inc,Falkenbach,Agalloch being on the fringes of what
i enjoy.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #25,113 of 29,681

Have you tried any of Professor Black's bands? Not my personal cup of tea, but I understand many Priest fans like them a lot for their take on the classic sound.

https://dawnbringer.bandcamp.com/album/night-of-the-hammer

https://highspiritsmetal.bandcamp.com/album/you-are-here

https://aktor.bandcamp.com/album/paranoia

YES!!!!!!

High Spirits and to a lesser extent Aktor...thats exactly the type of stuff i like....Dawnbringer was too Sabbathy for me,but High spirits..I can get into....

Thanks!!!

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #25,114 of 29,681
  Shinning Path and Nevermore was good...now were getting somewhere....Lacuna coil to a lesser extent(heard them before)

the other stuff was too...Opera-like(dunno the correct terminology)...and the last band vocals too angry.

I hereby dub thee: Skimlord!
tongue_smile.gif

FYI, the song title is "The Shining Path" and the band name is Tristania.

But seriously...it's not a good idea to judge something you've only heard for a few seconds. It would take many hours to listen through those albums. (They're playlists that contain the full albums, not just one song.)

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #25,115 of 29,681

I hereby dub thee: Skimlord!
tongue_smile.gif

FYI, the song title is "The Shining Path" and the band name is Tristania.

But seriously...it's not a good idea to judge something you've only heard for a few seconds. It would take many hours to listen through those albums. (They're playlists that contain the full albums, not just one song.)

dude...I have always been Skimlord....I was a pro DJ for 20+ years,skimming is what I do...i listen to elements of songs and if something catches my ears i stop and listen...

My last name is Wasson.My best friend since 4th grade called what I do "Wasson-ized"

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #25,116 of 29,681
  dude...I have always been Skimlord....I was a pro DJ for 20+ years,skimming is what I do...i listen to elements of songs and if something catches my ears i stop and listen...

My last name is Wasson.My best friend since 4th grade called what I do "Wasson-ized"

Well, as long as you skim everything (not just the first track of an album), I guess it's okay.

So did you find out the model of that STAX you might get?
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #25,117 of 29,681

Well, as long as you skim everything (not just the first track of an album), I guess it's okay.

So did you find out the model of that STAX you might get?
bigsmile_face.gif

nah...my HiFi dealer forgot to go into his basement to even see what he has and if it even works...I should put a boot up his rear.

Im concentrating on getting an HE-6 atm...

Yep i skim everything...it has cost me dearly in the past for sure,passing over stuff only to "discover" it months or sometimes years after Ive owned it.

Heck i just recently listened to "Demons Eye" Deep Purple all the way thru for the first time...epic song...and its only,what 40 years old?!?
basshead.gif

However for the most part a song/band has to catch my ear right away otherwise im more often than not inclined to acquire a taste for them...Motorhead being the one exception...
1980,im 15 and this kid from UK moves to my neighborhood and plays me Ace of Spades album for the first time,and im sitting there thinking "What is this crap"?!?!

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #25,118 of 29,681
  However for the most part a song/band has to catch my ear right away otherwise im more often than not inclined to acquire a taste for them...

Just remember that some bands change quite a bit, so you can't assess them from just one song or album.

In Flames is just one example of how much a band's sound can change over the years. They started out as an underground melodeath band and pioneered the genre, then got into other styles (melodic groove metal, metalcore, alternative metal, etc.) and nowadays they're closer to a hard rock band than a metal band. I'm sure you heard the classic metal influences in some of those tracks, though. Some melodeath is sorta like death metal + classic heavy metal + power metal.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #25,119 of 29,681

Just remember that some bands change quite a bit, so you can't assess them from just one song or album.

In Flames is just one example of how much a band's sound can change over the years. They started out as an underground melodeath band and pioneered the genre, then got into other styles (melodic groove metal, metalcore, alternative metal, etc.) and nowadays they're closer to a hard rock band than a metal band. I'm sure you heard the classic metal influences in some of those tracks, though. Some melodeath is sorta like death metal + classic heavy metal + power metal.

No doubt....

Take a look at the way CoC has changed over the years,or Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves,Ministry(who IMO has gone over the edge)
Then some bands like Metallica and Queen take a turn for the much worse to never return,apparently.

and then you have The Ramones.....2 minutes,3 chords,no solos for 35 years and loved every moment of it

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #25,120 of 29,681
  No doubt....

Take a look at the way CoC has changed over the years,or Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves,Ministry(who IMO has gone over the edge)
Then some bands like Metallica and Queen take a turn for the much worse to never return,apparently.

and then you have The Ramones.....2 minutes,3 chords,no solos for 35 years and loved every moment of it

I'm assuming you know this track then. My brother and I always laugh at how it sounds like he's saying "psycho fish head"...hahaha!

Oh, and since you're into older stuff, check out these Iron Maiden covers.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #25,121 of 29,681
  I actually like this!

I guess im the old man around here...i dont really dig too much of the new metal stuff.

Can anyone recommend new metal bands along the lines of Priest/Accept?

and/or anything like Arch Enemy/Parasite Inc? Thats about as fast as I can tolerate....I have a "no blastbeat" policy.

About 95% of my Heavy Metal list (my page lists 40, including High Spirits and Sumerlands) probably has some Priest/Accept in their DNA!

Horseburner also has some things in common with Anciients, though slightly more rock 'n' roll. I saw them at the Doomed and Stoned fest recently. And the week before at Alehorn Of Power, I saw Professor Black perform songs from all his bands - High Spirits, Dawnbringer, Superchrist and Pharaoh. There must have been 40 different albums at his merch table, amazing. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #25,122 of 29,681

I'm assuming you know this track then. My brother and I always laugh at how it sounds like he's saying "psycho fish head"...hahaha!

Oh, and since you're into older stuff, check out these Iron Maiden covers.

Thats the suicidal sound i dont like...I prefer this Suicidal Album....

Oddly I dont like that Cradle of Filth cover,but I like their version of "Devil Woman"but I love this

go figure.....

About 95% of my Heavy Metal list (my page lists 40, including High Spirits and Sumerlands) probably has some Priest/Accept in their DNA!

Horseburner also has some things in common with Anciients, though slightly more rock 'n' roll. I saw them at the Doomed and Stoned fest recently. And the week before at Alehorn Of Power, I saw Professor Black perform songs from all his bands - High Spirits, Dawnbringer, Superchrist and Pharaoh. There must have been 40 different albums at his merch table, amazing. 

Seems like this Professor Black dude is like Uncle Al...def gonna check his stuff out

EDIT:Horseburner...thats def in my wheelhouse,kinda reminded me a bit of CoC...like it...thanks!

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #25,123 of 29,681

For a moment I thought you were talking about Horsehunter, another Doomed and Stoned band, but waayyyy not rock n roll haha.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #25,124 of 29,681
When all metal subgenres, no matter how extreme (black, sludge, grindcore, technical, avant, etc.) have roots going back up to 30 years or more, there really is no point in calling any metal "retro" or "throwback." 

So whether the influences are Sabbath, Purple, Priest, Maiden, or Celtic Frost, Voivod, Bathory, Possessed, Hellhammer, Destruction, Sodom, Kreator, Coroner, Napalm Death, Gore, Unseen Terror, Nuclear Death, etc, it all goes back. Except for perhaps Babymetal.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #25,125 of 29,681

So whether the influences are Sabbath, Purple, Priest, Maiden, or Celtic Frost, Voivod, Bathory, Possessed, Hellhammer, Destruction, Sodom, Kreator, Coroner, Napalm Death, Gore, Unseen Terror, Nuclear Death, etc, it all goes back. Except for perhaps Babymetal.

back in the day I was into very early Destruction,Kreator,Sodom(sorta)Celtic Frost (moreso than Hellhammer),Venom....

LOL @ Babymetal...when I saw Halford do some stuff with them I cringed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back