Lets Talk Metal
Nov 29, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #25,126 of 29,701
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When all metal subgenres, no matter how extreme (black, sludge, grindcore, technical, avant, etc.) have roots going back up to 30 years or more, there really is no point in calling any metal "retro" or "throwback." 

So whether the influences are Sabbath, Purple, Priest, Maiden, or Celtic Frost, Voivod, Bathory, Possessed, Hellhammer, Destruction, Sodom, Kreator, Coroner, Napalm Death, Gore, Unseen Terror, Nuclear Death, etc, it all goes back. Except for perhaps Babymetal.

Oh, come on. Literally every single type of anything has its roots in bygone eras, that's how we progress, but there is an obvious difference between acts that are with contemporary sounds versus the ones that seek to more closely resemble the early sounds.

Unless you wanna sit here and tell me the concept of "retro" or "throwback" don't exist AT ALL, which would be kind of a difficult claim to make.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #25,127 of 29,701

Oh, come on. Literally every single type of anything has its roots in bygone eras, that's how we progress, but there is an obvious difference between acts that are with contemporary sounds versus the ones that seek to more closely resemble the early sounds.

Unless you wanna sit here and tell me the concept of "retro" or "throwback" don't exist AT ALL, which would be kind of a difficult claim to make.

IMO Without Lemmy Death Growl vocals and thrash wouldnt be a thing....
W/O Pink Floyd & others Hawkwind wouldnt be a thing,so no Lemmy.
W/O Chuck Berry &Little Richard again Lemmy wouldnt be a thing...

so we can owe all current metal to Little Richard...I guess

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #25,128 of 29,701
I wonder if you'd like some more up-tempo doom, like some of The Obsessed (they have a new one coming early next year!) or Khemmis labelmates Magic Circle? 

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #25,129 of 29,701

I think you just found the hammer and hit the nail. Exactly my thoughts.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #25,130 of 29,701
  I wonder if you'd like some more up-tempo doom, like some of The Obsessed (they have a new one coming early next year!) or Khemmis labelmates Magic Circle? 

Im workin on Tristania atm...really like their stuff im hearing thus far,a bit dramatic,but I can deal...
Next up will be that Professor dude,and then Horseburner...then i will check out The Obsessed and others that have been suggested thus far.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #25,131 of 29,701
+1 for obsessed, very Lemmy-ish vocals. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #25,133 of 29,701

Well obviously the concepts exist. It's just that they're often misused and overused. Many of us really, really like Vektor, a technical thrash band. Since they are influenced by stuff like early Voivod and Coroner, you could say they're a revival band. But you'd seem like you're being an a-hole, somehow trying to diminish their cultural relevance. Which is lame, because they do bring some new elements to the table that make them unique.

Take Magic Circle. They are rooted in doom. But it also wouldn't be fair to call them simply a throwback revival band, because they don't really sound like any particular bands from the 70s or 80s. There isn't even anyone who sounds like them now.

Also curious what examples you might give of acts with contemporary sounds? 

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #25,134 of 29,701

A few track recommendations: Opus Relinque, Crushed Dreams, Libre, Sacrilege, Exile

I use an "alt source" to get my music

I was able to only find:
Cure
Angina(really good)
Libre

Thanks for the heads up on them,good stuff...

Now looking for Nevermore,seems to be a wider selection of them

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #25,136 of 29,701
  Shinning Path and Nevermore was good...now were getting somewhere....Lacuna coil to a lesser extent(heard them before)

the other stuff was too...Opera-like(dunno the correct terminology)...and the last band vocals too angry.

Nah never really liked traditional thrash..."Kill em All" to me was one of the best albums ever made,of any genre,but most the rest of the genre sounded(to me)like one big pissing contest as to who could play faster,or angrier or heavier. Its one of the reasons i love Motorhead so much...they did it first,they did it the best and they never tried to outdo anybody else...they were just who they were,love em or hate em.

Dont like stoner/doom either...ive tried.

TL,DR NWOBHM sound is what i like,with early Metallica,some Mercyful Fate,and some of the newer bands..Opeth,Parasite Inc,Falkenbach,Agalloch being on the fringes of what
i enjoy.

Well, dang dude, what's left, then? Most old schoolers at least like Sabbath and their doom modern off shoots. LOL!

Bavinck maybe right about being more of a traditional hard rock guy more than metal. If you were really just into the Maiden/ Priest sound, then power metal would be a move-Iced Earth, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind guardian, etc. but I'm sure you've looked that direction.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #25,137 of 29,701
Nov 29, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #25,139 of 29,701
Nov 29, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #25,140 of 29,701
I noticed there's a connection between Tristania and Green Carnation. They were a highlight at this year's Roadburn, awesome show. They played Light of Day, Day of Darkness in full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back