Lets Talk Metal
Nov 29, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #25,141 of 29,701
  I noticed there's a connection between Tristania and Green Carnation. They were a highlight at this year's Roadburn, awesome show. They played Light of Day, Day of Darkness in full.

That album is such a masterpiece IMO. Actually, @monsterzero, you should hear it!

Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness by Green Carnation

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #25,142 of 29,701

Well, dang dude, what's left, then? Most old schoolers at least like Sabbath and their doom modern off shoots. LOL!

Bavinck maybe right about being more of a traditional hard rock guy more than metal. If you were really just into the Maiden/ Priest sound, then power metal would be a move-Iced Earth, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind guardian, etc. but I'm sure you've looked that direction.

yeah modern doom is too slow and bottom frequency oriented...I now understand why so many folks like LCD-2s for "metal"...for my interpretation of metal LCDs dont cut it,hence im selling mine.

I do love hard rock...Thin Lizzy(my alltime fav band ever) Nazareth,Deep Purple,to name a few,but when im in the mood for some Lizzy its an entirely different mood from when I wanna hear some Accept or Angel Witch.

Perhaps its my DJing background,or me being a Virgo,or a combo of both IDK
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #25,143 of 29,701
  yeah modern doom is too slow and bottom frequency oriented...I now understand why so many folks like LCD-2s for "metal"...for my interpretation of metal LCDs dont cut it,hence im selling mine.

Even if you dislike doom, you owe it to yourself to hear the epic buildup starting 8 minutes into this track!

Paragon of Dissonance by Esoteric 

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #25,144 of 29,701
Regarding The Obsessed, I recommend Lunar Womb (1991) and The Church Within (1994) to start. The first self-titled album was actually recorded in 1985, but wasn't released until Wino got somewhat more well known while playing with Saint Vitus. I saw them play earlier this year, they were great. 

A few years ago I wrote a "Winography" of all the bands he's been in: http://fastnbulbous.com/i-want-a-wino-doll/

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #25,145 of 29,701

Well, dang dude, what's left, then? Most old schoolers at least like Sabbath and their doom modern off shoots. LOL!

Bavinck maybe right about being more of a traditional hard rock guy more than metal. If you were really just into the Maiden/ Priest sound, then power metal would be a move-Iced Earth, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind guardian, etc. but I'm sure you've looked that direction.

Blind Guardian - so much fun:)

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #25,146 of 29,701
Okay...Horseburner is def my favorite of what Ive heard thus far...got the entire Dead Seas,Barren Soil disc.

Anciients I really like too but couldnt find anything available at the moment.

Any others along those lines...yes i realize they are two totally different sounds.What can I say,im complicated.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #25,147 of 29,701

Even if you dislike doom, you owe it to yourself to hear the epic buildup starting 8 minutes into this track!

Paragon of Dissonance by Esoteric 

See,i like that...eight mins in.
Prior to the eight minute mark it sounds like....idk,not to my tastes,dont want to offend anyone.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #25,148 of 29,701

yeah modern doom is too slow and bottom frequency oriented...

I do love hard rock...Thin Lizzy(my alltime fav band ever) Nazareth,Deep Purple,to name a few,but when im in the mood for some Lizzy its an entirely different mood from when I wanna hear some Accept or Angel Witch.

Yeah, check out Magic Circle. The guys all come from hardcore punk bands, so their doom is not so slow and mushy!

The past couple years have been a great time to be a Thin Lizzy fan, as there's a lot of current bands working with that vibe.
http://fastnbulbous.com/thin-lizzy-worship-carousel-black-trip/

Carousel sadly broke up, but luckily I got to see them at Roadburn too! Black Trip have never played in North America, even though a couple guys are also in Enforcer, who come from Sweden to tour here constantly. Valkyrie, Dead Lord, Corsair. Horisont (also from Sweden) just did their first tour last month here and have a new album coming in February. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #25,149 of 29,701

IMO Without Lemmy Death Growl vocals and thrash wouldnt be a thing....
W/O Pink Floyd & others Hawkwind wouldnt be a thing,so no Lemmy.
W/O Chuck Berry &Little Richard again Lemmy wouldnt be a thing...

so we can owe all current metal to Little Richard...I guess

You're not paying attention.

Every single everything you have ever seen/heard/smelled/tasted/felt in your life grew from its forebearers. Are you going to honestly claim there is no such thing as "retro" because of that?

To put it this way: you're like a guy claiming that retro 8/16-bit style games aren't actually "retro" because "all games developed from Pong."

I mean hell by your logic we owe all music to the first guy who found out that twanging a string made a nice sound. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #25,150 of 29,701

You're not paying attention.

Every single everything you have ever seen/heard/smelled/tasted/felt in your life grew from its forebearers. Are you going to honestly claim there is no such thing as "retro" because of that?

To put it this way: you're like a guy claiming that retro 8/16-bit style games aren't actually "retro" because "all games developed from Pong."

I mean hell by your logic we owe all music to the first guy who found out that twanging a string made a nice sound. 

No you misinterpreted what i was saying....I was agreeing with the concept that everything has roots,from music,to film making,to literature etc....everyone has influences.

Rather my Lemmy reference remains,whether or not you agree with it or not...its mildly subjective,but not entirely.

I recall vividly attending a GBH show in LA @ The Olympic with hair down to my rear,and all these skinheads circled me and were getting ready to inflict some GBH on me,when out of nowhere this giant skinhead stomped in told everyone to back off and show me respect for even having the balls to show up...i was golden for the rest of the show.

nowadays punk and metal can co-exist and has fused mainly due to Motorhead building that bridge.

EDIT: to complete my thought Lemmy has commonly referenced Little Richard and Chuck Berry as two of his main influences...those are his words not mine. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #25,151 of 29,701

Yeah, check out Magic Circle. The guys all come from hardcore punk bands, so their doom is not so slow and mushy!

The past couple years have been a great time to be a Thin Lizzy fan, as there's a lot of current bands working with that vibe.
http://fastnbulbous.com/thin-lizzy-worship-carousel-black-trip/

Carousel sadly broke up, but luckily I got to see them at Roadburn too! Black Trip have never played in North America, even though a couple guys are also in Enforcer, who come from Sweden to tour here constantly. Valkyrie, Dead Lord, Corsair. Horisont (also from Sweden) just did their first tour last month here and have a new album coming in February. 

Excellent work! I def hear Lizzy in Carousel,Magic circle,not so much...any of the others in that article you wrote that you feel lean heavily on Lizzy?

EDIT: Holy Hell!Black Trip sounds like Lynott taught them everything...friggin love it!

Horisont as well...wow....where do you hear about these bands? This is my kinda stuff!

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #25,152 of 29,701

No you misinterpreted what i was saying....I was agreeing with the concept that everything has roots,from music,to film making,to literature etc....everyone has influences.

Rather my Lemmy reference remains,whether or not you agree with it or not...its mildly subjective,but not entirely.

I recall vividly attending a GBH show in LA @ The Olympic with hair down to my rear,and all these skinheads circled me and were getting ready to inflict some GBH on me,when out of nowhere this giant skinhead stomped in told everyone to back off and show me respect for even having the balls to show up...i was golden for the rest of the show.

nowadays punk and metal can co-exist and has fused mainly due to Motorhead building that bridge.

EDIT: to complete my thought Lemmy has commonly referenced Little Richard and Chuck Berry as two of his main influences...those are his words not mine. 

Two things:

1) Everyone knows the lineage of metal. 

2) What did this post have to do with your claim that there's no such thing as retro or throwback?

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #25,153 of 29,701

2) What did this post have to do with your claim that there's no such thing as retro or throwback?

Please show me where I ever said that.

I will wait.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #25,154 of 29,701

Two things:

1) Everyone knows the lineage of metal. 

I think you're thinking about my post not his? I just meant that it's pointless to use extra words to identify certain metal as retro/throwback, etc. I just think heavy metal is sufficient. I mean, I do think there's enough of a difference to make a separate list of somewhat more modern and "extreme" metal. I just don't like using qualifiers that might imply it's inferior when I clearly believe it's not.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #25,155 of 29,701

Excellent work! I def hear Lizzy in Carousel,Magic circle,not so much...any of the others in that article you wrote that you feel lean heavily on Lizzy?

EDIT: Holy Hell!Black Trip sounds like Lynott taught them everything...friggin love it!

Horisont as well...wow....where do you hear about these bands? This is my kinda stuff!

Magic Circle was in reference to your not liking most doom that's too slow and bottom heavy. Not that they are influenced by Thin Lizzy.

I guess I have a Thin Lizzy radar! It also helps that these bands are not coy about their influences, and will cite them often in interviews. Valkyrie even put something like "For fans of Thin Lizzy" on the sticker of their last album! See also the early albums by The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Pride Tiger, Birds Of Avalon and Gypsyhawk.

BTW, my top three bands of the year, Khemmis, Spirit Adrift and Wytch Hazel all talk up Thin Lizzy as an influence, though it's probably most noticable in Wytch Hazel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back