Lets Talk Metal
Sep 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #24,331 of 29,662
I saw that but there wasn't any details. If I had a nickel for every time a band goes, it sounds WAY more dynamic when in fact just the opposite it is true, I would be a rich man.

However, it looks like it is indeed a lot more dynamic which is very good news. Thanks for the tip!

Nice. Going from DR 5 to 10 is quite impressive.

The most noticeable "more dynamic" part I hear is the drums. Very good transients and separation. (Sounds like I'm describing headphones now. lol)

I also noticed a few of their other albums have high DR while others are very low:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=abigor

They botched the remaster of Verwüstung, which took it from DR 9 to 5. When I first got it, I thought it sounded dirty and distorted compared to the original.

I would love to see a proper remaster of Satanized, since it's only DR 4. I really enjoy that album.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #24,332 of 29,662
Nice. Going from DR 5 to 10 is quite impressive.

The most noticeable "more dynamic" part I hear is the drums. Very good transients and separation. (Sounds like I'm describing headphones now. lol)

I also noticed a few of their other albums have high DR while others are very low:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=abigor

They botched the remaster of Verwüstung, which took it from DR 9 to 5. When I first got it, I thought it sounded dirty and distorted compared to the original.

I would love to see a proper remaster of Satanized, since it's only DR 4. I really enjoy that album.

Interesting. I think I'm going to start a dedicated thread about this, see if we can learn some more.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #24,334 of 29,662

Ordered this box set of the complete works of the salem oregon "Sludge-drone doom metal" band HELL. Not the heavy metal UK hell. This band rules. It's dark, riff intensive and non-melodic metal, disorienting and sinister, long tracks which seem a bit godspeed you! black emperor influenced. Hardcore music, for hardcore people. This **** sold out so fast on bandcamp, I'm glad I got it when I did.

Let this be a lesson to some of you green fellas, works like this gem right here sell out really fast and are sold in limited quantity, and are then very difficult to get a copy of if you don't buy them immediately on release. So don't be telling me I don't buy music, when you're merely expressing your blatant ignorance.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #24,335 of 29,662
  Ordered this box set of the complete works of the salem oregon "Sludge-drone doom metal" band HELL. Not the heavy metal UK hell. This band rules. It's dark, riff intensive and non-melodic metal, disorienting and sinister, long tracks which seem a bit godspeed you! black emperor influenced. Hardcore music, for hardcore people. This **** sold out so fast on bandcamp, I'm glad I got it when I did.

Let this be a lesson to some of you green fellas, works like this gem right here sell out really fast and are sold in limited quantity, and are then very difficult to get a copy of if you don't buy them immediately on release. So don't be telling me I don't buy music, when you're merely expressing your blatant ignorance.

Cool. I've been meaning to get more into scary-sounding doom metal. Esoteric stands out for me in that respect.

Collecting rare music used to be one of my main hobbies. Lots of the stuff I got is nearly impossible to find now.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #24,336 of 29,662

Cool. I've been meaning to get more into scary-sounding doom metal. Esoteric stands out for me in that respect.

Collecting rare music used to be one of my main hobbies. Lots of the stuff I got is nearly impossible to find now.

Disembowelment is amazing, if you like scary doom metal. 

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #24,337 of 29,662

How convenient: looks like most of their material is available in a single compilation on Bandcamp. Good stuff.

Disembowelment by Disembowelment 
I still like Esoteric way more. You may already know that funeral doom/death metal band. Here's my favorite track by them. Epic build-up starting at 8 minutes!

Paragon of Dissonance by Esoteric

This black metal track is doom-ish. With the right headphones, it can rattle your head. I used to talk to one of the members of this band.

DEMONCY - Joined In Darkness by Negative Existence

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #24,339 of 29,662

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Disembowelment/Transcendence_into_the_Peripheral/10151

Going and digging into the used CD bins in 2003, I found TITP and didn't know who they were. But the place had a CD player. It did not look like a metal CD cover. So now even 13 more years later it's total entertainment to see folks bring up that album. There has never been anything like it. The special charm is the mood of that record, and that they put a bunch of interesting instruments into the mix?

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #24,340 of 29,662

Just found the ambient band "Necrophorus"

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #24,342 of 29,662
Holy moly, this is superb! First time I've heard this band. Reminds me of a cross between Drudkh and Borknagar.

Bagpipes and inverted crosses, what's not to love?

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #24,343 of 29,662
  Holy moly, this is superb! First time I've heard this band. Reminds me of a cross between Drudkh and Borknagar.

The other two Saor albums are both 10/10 for me. Friggin love this guy.

This is his other project. All black, no bagpipes. Don't like it as much.
https://fuath.bandcamp.com/album/i

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #24,344 of 29,662
Can't wait for that new Saor record. It's interesting to hear a record without Austin Lunn's drumming. I kinda like the change to more straightforward beats; let's the song breathe a little more.

Here's a crushing, esoteric one for you guys, the new Thy Catafalque album is streaming in its entirety. I'm really not sure what to classify this as, but it's got crushing guitarsm, atmospheric ambient touches and interludes, as well as melodic undertones. Definitely avant-garde, but not in that ultra-weird sense a la Unexpect.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #24,345 of 29,662
The symphonic-folk-pagan-black-metal epics are strong this year! 
etysmile.gif
 The one that has been demanding nearly all of my listening time is most definitely the new Moonsorrow. Wow, what an album. The new Saor should be equally great (or maybe almost equally heh).

Oh yeah, Borknagar too! My wife just bought it, so I'll hear the whole thing once it comes in the mail, but the song Winter Thrice is so good. Those clean vocals are just so catchy and well composed/performed. It's somewhat of a formulaic song, but they did a great job of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back