Lets Talk Metal
Sep 12, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #24,346 of 29,662
  The symphonic-folk-pagan-black-metal epics are strong this year! 
etysmile.gif
 The one that has been demanding nearly all of my listening time is most definitely the new Moonsorrow. Wow, what an album. The new Saor should be equally great (or maybe almost equally heh).

Oh yeah, Borknagar too! My wife just bought it, so I'll hear the whole thing once it comes in the mail, but the song Winter Thrice is so good. Those clean vocals are just so catchy and well composed/performed. It's somewhat of a formulaic song, but they did a great job of it. 

Those two are excellent records. If you want straight old black metal, this is another contender for this year. (I wish the album's name can be much longer)

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #24,347 of 29,662
Yeah dude, that's the other album I'm really salivating over this year. It's really so good. But what's the deal with basically two outros? Maybe to fit the length of the album title? 

I can't wait for the new Ulcerate. The song they released is the most morose they've sounded. I'm guessing my AOTY contenders will be Moondsorrow, Inquisition, and Ulcerate. If Suffocation pulls a rabbit out of their hat, then maybe them, but I haven't heard any updates for quite awhile.

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #24,350 of 29,662
My favorite.
Not the biggest fan of their latest albums, but i'm excited for the one that will come out in a couple of weeks.
One 40 minute long track (afaik) ♥

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #24,351 of 29,662
  The symphonic-folk-pagan-black-metal epics are strong this year! 
etysmile.gif
 The one that has been demanding nearly all of my listening time is most definitely the new Moonsorrow. Wow, what an album. The new Saor should be equally great (or maybe almost equally heh).

Oh yeah, Borknagar too! My wife just bought it, so I'll hear the whole thing once it comes in the mail, but the song Winter Thrice is so good. Those clean vocals are just so catchy and well composed/performed. It's somewhat of a formulaic song, but they did a great job of it. 

I thought you refused to listen to anything with the word "symphonic" in it.
tongue.gif

But seriously, though, listen to these Limbonic Art albums! Although they're usually classified as symphonic black metal, it's only a formality. Most of their music is among the more extreme black metal, with the synths and such barely audible in the background, and with influences from thrash, death, etc. too.

Also don't miss Kroda. They're my favorite folk black metal band.

My favorite.
Not the biggest fan of their latest albums, but i'm excited for the one that will come out in a couple of weeks.
One 40 minute long track (afaik) ♥

I've never heard a melodeath song that is nearly that long. Should be interesting.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #24,354 of 29,662
  I've never heard a melodeath song that is nearly that long. Should be interesting.

Two of the most important Melodeath albums/songs and you don't know them....tststs.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #24,359 of 29,662
  Aren't they more progressive than melodic?

IMO, progressive can be applied to anything, like Progressive Rock, Progressive metal even Progressive Trance.

the tone in use by edge of sanity can sound a bit melodic, so maybe can qualify as Progressive Melodic Death Metal. a bit long for a genre name though..

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #24,360 of 29,662

Users who are viewing this thread

Back