Lets Talk Metal
Jun 1, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #23,206 of 29,653

Wish I liked Thrash because Vektor would be right up my alley but I just can't get in to it. 
  An other good tech-death albums I should listen to? I'm kind of in the mood for it. Probably should give the new Gorguts a spin but their music has never really affected me much. It's gotta be tough competing for attention in a genre full of incredible players. However songwriters is what that sub-genre (and many others) is sorely lacking in my opinion.

It was really awesome when I was in the zone, but after a while, I just hoped that I could be less sentimental in the first place. Still a cool album, it's just that my taste is really all over the place and I am still horrendously slow at learning after all.

I really like Pleiades' Dust, but it's more or less another take of Obscura without being too disturbed by noise, and tech death is not my thing at all as like you've said - there is a lack of depth when there are just way too many overambitious calculations and maybe hypocritical writings everywhere.  Still,  I like Gorguts for the fact that they actually have aims at where they want to go, and they've succeed in doing so, for me at least.  A so-called tech death album that I personally admire is Pyrrhon's Mother of Virtues, but the Growth Without End EP is the better start, I think.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #23,208 of 29,653

This is an amazing year!

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #23,210 of 29,653
  1. New Gorguts
2. New Katalepsy
3. New Abnormality
4. New Aborted
5. The Zenith Passage
6. Murder Mage God

Finally, I recently heard this band and liking them a lot - Dehydrated. They released an album last year, I think its pretty good

It was really awesome when I was in the zone, but after a while, I just hoped that I could be less sentimental in the first place. Still a cool album, it's just that my taste is really all over the place and I am still horrendously slow at learning after all.

I really like Pleiades' Dust, but it's more or less another take of Obscura without being too disturbed by noise, and tech death is not my thing at all as like you've said - there is a lack of depth when there are just way too many overambitious calculations and maybe hypocritical writings everywhere.  Still,  I like Gorguts for the fact that they actually have aims at where they want to go, and they've succeed in doing so, for me at least.  A so-called tech death album that I personally admire is Pyrrhon's Mother of Virtues, but the Growth Without End EP is the better start, I think.

Well looks like I owe to myself to give Pleiades Dust a good listen then. Still working my way through the latest First Fragment album, just a song or two on my walks between home and work. It's pretty damn good, not flawless, but I'm really enjoying it.

Have both of those Pyrrhon releases, they rule. I guess I never really thought of them as tech death but I suppose that is a better classification for them. Similar to Mastery and Krallice who aren't really tech-death bands but have strong elements of it (I'd just say they lean more towards black metal. I like the more abrasive and aggressive tech metal as opposed to the ultra-shreddy arpeggios and polyrythms. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #23,211 of 29,653
Wow, they never made a vid like that before!

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #23,212 of 29,653
Now I'm psyched for some new Dark Funeral! I love how corny black metal can be sometimes, especially the music videos 
etysmile.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #23,213 of 29,653

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Dimensional_Psychosis/Magical_Matrix_of_Dimensional_Continuum/68196

Can't find a stream of this anywhere, but it's an amazing album that I highly recommend checking out via any means possible.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #23,215 of 29,653
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #23,216 of 29,653
[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IeapE3z-v3Q [/VIDEO]

One of the best parts of one of the best songs so far this year, "Bit By Bit".

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #23,217 of 29,653
  Now that we are almost half-way through the year.

What's everyone's metal album of the year contender list looking like? I could be missing some great albums so feel free to recommend some suggested listening:

• Plebian GrandstandFalse Highs, True Lows
  • CobaltSlow Forever
  • ZhrineUnortheta
  • LycusChasms
  • Vainaja- Verenvalaja (also has great production value, excellent mixing and mastering)

This is my list as of now but I could be missing something, I know I am. Still waiting for a killer stoner doom release, last year's Monolord effort was a favorite. If you know of any, please do tell!

Here is what I got so far:
Vektor - Terminal Redux
Messa - Belfry
Vainaja - Verenvalaja
Haken - Affinity 
Fleshgod Apokalypse - King

Been a great year so far. Considering 3 out of the 5 I never heard of before.... 

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #23,218 of 29,653
Jun 2, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #23,219 of 29,653
Tried listening to Vektor again and it's growing on me for sure. I can objectively see why it's on a lot of preliminary AOTY lists, probably won't make mine but it's a fine album and I'm sure I'll listen to it occasionally.

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #23,220 of 29,653
  Tried listening to Vektor again and it's growing on me for sure. I can objectively see why it's on a lot of preliminary AOTY lists, probably won't make mine but it's a fine album and I'm sure I'll listen to it occasionally.

I found when I finally printed the lyrics and read them with the entire album, it clicked. For me the story is integral to my appreciation of this album.....but I'm probably the exception in that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back