Lets Talk Metal
May 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #23,192 of 29,678
IDK about you guys but I go through stages with buying/listening to music. It's starting to heat up, so I've picked up most of the metal from this year in the past month. Plus I finally signed up with Bandcamp. Here's what I'm listening to:

On the DM side: Abyssal-actually I guess from 2015, but I'm just listening to this for the first time today, Phobocosm and Vainaja (HDR doomdeathish that sounds amazing to my ears)

a0842782238_9.jpg
a1747564703_9.jpg

Some BM or at least BM influenced stuff. Sig ArTyr Northern and their first release which is a blend of acoustic music and metal...very Bathory influenced...one man project now with an actual band a Finnish pagan BM band (2015) called Havukruunu....really good Monsorrowish with shorter songs.

a2503066971_9.jpg

a0586834829_9.jpg
a2779113720_9.jpg

Vektor-took a long time, but I really dig this now-after reading the lyrics and getting interested in the whole sci-fi concept which I actually think is pretty cool.

Also like Goatess-just classic stoner doom and really well executed IMO for those Sabbath moods I get in. And, super mellow but beautiful (at least to me, the new Sylvaine-prefer it much more than Mykur)

a0144143476_9.jpg
a0355930001_9.jpg
a3156894037_7.jpg

Also been digging on a girl punk band with indie overtones-White Lung.

Some stuff I haven't picked up but either have on the way or hope to pick  up soon:

Howls of Ebb (on the way), Mistur, Belfry

What else: earlier 2016 releases I've had on rotation: Anthrax, Cult of Luna/Julie Christmas-Mariner (maybe my favorite this year), Fleshgood (which I think is TONS of fun) and Haken which I don't really think of as metal. Another one I found extremely annoying at first but grew on me, especially the second disc which is just the instrumental version kind of the way the Ocean did with Palagial. I like some prog, but I'm not really a proghead.

I think it's been a pretty good year, even if nothing has absolutely blown me away yet.

May 31, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #23,193 of 29,678
  Vektor-took a long time, but I really dig this now-after reading the lyrics and getting interested in the whole sci-fi concept which I actually think is pretty cool.

Vektor is pretty awesome \m/

also if you like the sci fi concept and like MDM at all give scar symmetry a listen ^_^

May 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #23,194 of 29,678
Now that we are almost half-way through the year.

What's everyone's metal album of the year contender list looking like? I could be missing some great albums so feel free to recommend some suggested listening:

• Plebian GrandstandFalse Highs, True Lows
  • CobaltSlow Forever
  • ZhrineUnortheta
  • LycusChasms
  • Vainaja- Verenvalaja (also has great production value, excellent mixing and mastering)

This is my list as of now but I could be missing something, I know I am. Still waiting for a killer stoner doom release, last year's Monolord effort was a favorite. If you know of any, please do tell!

May 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #23,195 of 29,678

amazing album-but lets forget about this one-in fact dont even bother listening to this classic.just fool about with 2016 shi@@t music on bandcr@p that costs about £50 to record using pro-tools-the more boring the better-make sure there is about as much passion as well a thing without passion.and bonded by blood -whats that -never really heard that one-early swedish death-na never really bothered mate-but guess what i was searching (insert sh----ty site)and i found an italian doom black jazz metal band that are amazing ballzz.darkthrone na never heard m8 soz-

May 31, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #23,196 of 29,678

Mid-year is July 2nd, so I will post a list then. This is number one though.
basshead.gif

The lable has the whole thing on You-Tube for free.

May 31, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #23,197 of 29,678

What's everyone's metal album of the year contender list looking like? I could be missing some great albums so feel free to recommend some suggested listening:

• CobaltSlow Forever
  • ZhrineUnortheta
  • LycusChasms
  • Vainaja- Verenvalaja (also has great production value, excellent mixing and mastering)

This is my list as of now but I could be missing something, I know I am. Still waiting for a killer stoner doom release, last year's Monolord effort was a favorite. If you know of any, please do tell!

Hmmmm....
In no particular order:
  1. Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
  2. Haken - Affinity
  3. Vektor - Terminal Redux
  4. The Myrrors - Entranced Earth
  5. Fallujah - Dreamless
  6. First Fragment - Dasein

May 31, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #23,198 of 29,678
  Hmmmm....
In no particular order:
  1. Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
  2. Haken - Affinity
  3. Vektor - Terminal Redux
  4. The Myrrors - Entranced Earth
  5. Fallujah - Dreamless
  6. First Fragment - Dasein

Wish I liked Thrash because Vektor would be right up my alley but I just can't get in to it. 

I just started listening to First Fragment, Dasein starts wonderfully but I left off on a particularly boring part. So far though, it's been excellent tech death by people that can actually write music rather than just ultra-technical scales that actually sound like garbage. Will give it a full listen before I post any other impressions but so far Dasein seems promising but could do with some fat-trimming.

An other good tech-death albums I should listen to? I'm kind of in the mood for it. Probably should give the new Gorguts a spin but their music has never really affected me much. It's gotta be tough competing for attention in a genre full of incredible players. However songwriters is what that sub-genre (and many others) is sorely lacking in my opinion.

May 31, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #23,199 of 29,678

...it's been excellent tech death by people that can actually write music rather than just ultra-technical scales that actually sound like garbage.

This crap needs to stop. I actually see this in thrash far more often than I do in tech death, but it certainly still happens. Arkaik still does it sometimes, but I like the way they do it for some reason, I listen to Lucid Dawn way more than anything else right now, so that has to be my album of the year right now. Anyone have any other specific examples of this kind of writing that just won't go away?

May 31, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #23,200 of 29,678
  This crap needs to stop. I actually see this in thrash far more often than I do in tech death, but it certainly still happens. Arkaik still does it sometimes, but I like the way they do it for some reason, I listen to Lucid Dawn way more than anything else right now, so that has to be my album of the year right now. Anyone have any other specific examples of this kind of writing that just won't go away?

Yeah there are certain, weird and atonal scales that can be used to great effect in music to create a unique atmosphere or feeling. When the whole song sounds like it, it loses impact. I think Meshuggah has used some weird lead lines in the past the worked quite well in the context of the song. I really think where a lot of bands falter is dynamics, not just in volume but pace and style. A lot bands write very cohesive songs that just string together the same idea, just presented slightly differently. Great songs (especially in metal) have movement, they twist and turn and combine and dissolve ideas.

Now, I'm not a music student and I may play guitar and bass but I'm pretty **** musician. These are just subjective opinions about what I hear. Upon re-reading, I just want to clarify I'm not advocating for all bands to be eclectic genre switchers because we already have Mr Bungle, so what's the point? Just saying we have a lot of talented players and writers and they could stand to be a bit more intentional and methodical in the writing process to truly create some compelling music.

Also I'm pretty sure 75% of songs longer than 8 minutes don't actually need to be. Stop including every single riff and song you write in albums!

May 31, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #23,201 of 29,678
  Wish I liked Thrash because Vektor would be right up my alley but I just can't get in to it. 

An other good tech-death albums I should listen to? I'm kind of in the mood for it.

Vektor and Revocation are the only Thrash bands I really like because of how tech and prog they are. Maybe also Exodus.

Fallujah? Not everyones cup of tea with the Dream Pop-ish influences.

Oh and try Spheron!

May 31, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #23,202 of 29,678
  Vektor and Revocation are the only Thrash bands I really like because of how tech and prog they are. Maybe also Exodus.

Fallujah? Not everyones cup of tea with the Dream Pop-ish influences.

Oh and try Spheron!

I'm off work in 5 minutes, I'll give them a shot! Dream Pop influences are no deterrent, it's actually another favorite genre of mine, I just follow it way less than metal.

May 31, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #23,203 of 29,678
[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jelkfs-7Fho [/VIDEO]

May 31, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #23,204 of 29,678

• CobaltSlow Forever
  • ZhrineUnortheta
  • LycusChasms

Whew! Tough call. I like your list. If I was to be diplomatic across genres, I might do something like this:
1. CUL-Mariner
2. Vainaja
2. Vektor-I can't believe I'm writing this-I freaking hated this album first time through-but I've seen the light
3. Phobocosm-but something could easily bump this-a lot of DM I haven't heard yet
4. Messa-Belfry-haven't even heard this all the way through, but I know I'm really going to like it
5. Sylvaine-purty metal 

honorable mention: Fleshgod Apocalypse-just pure fun to me, Inverloch, Goatess-just done really well for a genre I like.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #23,205 of 29,678

I just started listening to First Fragment, Dasein starts wonderfully but I left off on a particularly boring part. So far though, it's been excellent tech death by people that can actually write music rather than just ultra-technical scales that actually sound like garbage. Will give it a full listen before I post any other impressions but so far Dasein seems promising but could do with some fat-trimming.

An other good tech-death albums I should listen to? I'm kind of in the mood for it. Probably should give the new Gorguts a spin but their music has never really affected me much. It's gotta be tough competing for attention in a genre full of incredible players. However songwriters is what that sub-genre (and many others) is sorely lacking in my opinion.

1. New Gorguts
2. New Katalepsy
3. New Abnormality
4. New Aborted
5. The Zenith Passage
6. Murder Mage God

Finally, I recently heard this band and liking them a lot - Dehydrated. They released an album last year, I think its pretty good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back