Lets Talk Metal
Nov 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #21,211 of 29,685

New Wilson treatment to Damnation, almost the only Opeth I listen to anymore.

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #21,214 of 29,685
We had all the details about it last week. Including which master to pick up!
biggrin.gif

Is that where all the posters in this thread went to? I thought things have been quiet around here...

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #21,215 of 29,685
Is that where all the posters in this thread went to? I thought things have been quiet around here...

I have been far, far away.

Ufomammut

Ecate

Release date March 30, 2015 on CD and vinyl.

This album starts out with the feeling your walking across a mountain ridge then hearing noise, looking down and we find a keg party in the woods. After you look down deeper on the keg party antics everything becomes distorted and your then apart of something more serious and heavy. Actually heavy is not even the word for it?This is some of the most weighted and intense music ever made. That time when the fun was replaced with drama. It's all part of this crazy narrative going on in the headphones around our head.

We seem to be traveling into the center of the Earth on some giant Earth drilling tractor. The weight of the rocks and ground above us are crushing in a claustrophobic way. Slow mechanical steps here as everyone is following some grand plan with coordinates for planned events, like ants do when going underground.

I think there is a leader guiding us across this madness and creativity?

These guys are an Italian Art Collective when not painting (like on Evate) with sound. I'm getting an almost hippy commune feeling here with intensity mirroring that dark LSD side of Krautrock. It's psychedelic but in a bad trip kind of way. We're on a tab here but when we come back we may be different, if we even make it back. Hawkwind was just the gateway to the sound and place we arrive at here. It's a total jam out half-way into in much like Amon Düül II did commune style. We are again fully reliving that time when the flower children discovered that the sixties were darker and not all fun and games.

For music so insanely brutal, these guys are still having fun. Fun but serious the way Magma was always so very, very serious. There is an all night jam out and maybe they are best when you don't know who the leader really is? They are reaching for this 1973 group conscious thing, and taking us along. Still it's never boring as each song progresses into new places not ever reached before. Speaking of Magma, I wonder how much of a leader the drummer is here? With dark psychedelic jam outs we still need a guide as to not get lost. It may just be our drummer taking charge as to not fall off into deep space never to be found again. Yes, the band is following the drummer here, being a key to what is making this music slightly different, the way Magma was different? IMO

I may have heard another one of these guys records back in 2012, so even though their output spans 15 years and eight full LPs, I can not tell you how much this changes from their early sonic mindphuc journeys.

So before you know it the album comes to an end, and just like a 45 minute Disneyland ride it's over and your faced with the bright sunlight again as your toy car reaches the outside humanity again. Was that music all a dream?

But my player is on repeat and we are met again with the opening Moog synth repeating and warping. This is the music Moogs were invented for. Somehow the beginning now sounds so very different. Is it really the beginning or an ending? Music is like that, albums can actually end with the same vibe they start with. That is until the three minute mark and the Sabbath inspired bass and guitar starts all over again. Yep folks I'm reviewing this album like I'm listening to it multiple times. This is the style of music genuinely made for the repeat. Music where you loose sense of time and space of forward or reverse. We just know only that with each listen we are reaching somehow deeper and closer to this thing. A prodding a walking, and everyone is singing about our advancements closer to something not quite seen or understood. This thing is beyond us yet we are arriving at it's presence. Is is the future, the future Magma warned us about?

I think we have arrived?

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #21,217 of 29,685

It's hard to talk about metal in one thread. I highly encourage you join us over there too. We are having a lot of fun (plus we have a lot of folks from the extremely entertaining and intelligent AMG crowd as well).

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #21,218 of 29,685
http://foreverslainzine.com/2015/10/interview-grave-rat-usa/

Grave Rat
Tomes Of The Dead
Released September 12th 2015

Who? What? Where? How?

Yep, of course you never heard of them. If you were on your way home from some late night moonshine run and stopped off at a bar in Tennessee you may find Grave Rat alive in their element. And just like the guy that stopped you on that back-road getting the moonshine, these folks are scary in an outback bad happenstance kind of way.

Working Class Grass Roots Metal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=adgJqT3A320

Metal has a wonderful simplicity. If you go to music school you may just miss it all? Understanding Sabbath is what so many have said is the key. Just knowing the basic rules and how this metal motor goes together is all it is. And just like Acid Witch there is a quaint underground charm to this. I have never been to Wise Virginia, where these guys are from, but by the sound of this independent release, I'm sure I'd like the place.

So this is where real metal comes from. It grows from the working class roots as It's a dream and a cause. If you have enough will-power you can achieve what this is. Self produced and made perfection. And where does that perfection live? Where it always is, in the breaks. Big breaks and breakdowns that may cause you to break stuff around the house, especially after that moonshine. All our old friends are here, Venom, late era Darkthrone. But this is Blackend Thrash Roll. Don't miss it like the mainstream will. Yep. this is the metal music of the underground. It carries no airs about it. Still look into Grave Rat's eyes and you'll get met with an attitude. That attitude is all that's needed and powers our record here far beyond it's size.

So go back and find the old 1979 Motörhead records. This is where this music lives. It never goes away, just like the rats. It's around under stuff and you never see it. It's the living small stuff that lurks and comes out at night. It many ways it does not want to be seen but enjoys a simple anonymity that only comes from being vermin.

The vocals are a little on the same and same again side of life but ?? A smokey Mustaine?

Appalachian Thrash is a new sub-genre for me, so who knows, that may be just how it all goes down. These guys went into the studio and rerecorded their 2014 demo EP then added 5 more songs. They are just happy to tour and open for Havok this year. I actually always look for bands like this as they contain a purity of metal. There is an un-cut essence to it all. No producer has got ahold of them and messed with their minds or sound. Guys like this are happy and hungry for work, living the American Thrash Dream and right on the edge of getting their own tour bus. So I can forgive them for any small mistakes here. Just a great record from a band we will hear more of.

So Black Sabbath are really on their very last tour. Motorhead's original drummer has died this week. But life goes on and this music, just like the seasons springs up again. We can only wonder how this band will evolve? We can hear their influences and we know where they come from. Will they sit where they are or scurry into the light?

Only time will tell.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #21,219 of 29,685

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=260&v=MLRjJQCqCeo&ebc=ANyPxKpccRHkNs_Ejqgzm874renaExMh7-sldU9wf5gTxzuE4H_dMrAJHBIj6qkVaiZ9I97EFKto
Wow

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #21,220 of 29,685

I have been far, far away.

+1000  I've been on a steady diet of Ufomammut for the past year, especially "Eve".  But this, this, this is so.....like you said!

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #21,222 of 29,685
+1000  I've been on a steady diet of Ufomammut for the past year, especially "Eve".  But this, this, this is so.....like you said!

Yes, I must explore them more. 15 years and 8 records? I have only heard two records from them, enjoyable as I have been on a strange doom kick?

There is nothing boring about them!!

It's simple in a way, but keeps sounding different with each listen. .? ?

Listened to all of Ecate again today!

Your the only person I have noted as having the Ohm speakers. I had a pair of Ohm 2s, but sold them when I moved out of the country.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #21,225 of 29,685
Any thoughts on the new Swallow the Sun triple album?  Big fan of Hope a few years back...the only album of theirs I own. Seems like the new one is getting pretty mixed less than inspired reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back