Lets Talk Metal
Nov 19, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #21,226 of 29,701
Any thoughts on the new Swallow the Sun triple album?  Big fan of Hope a few years back...the only album of theirs I own. Seems like the new one is getting pretty mixed less than inspired reviews.

Well it sounds great. It is quite the project to get from start to finish. I have ADD.

The middle album gets the most play from me. It is a little like the proggy and mellow parts of their old stuff, only expanded into a whole album of clean singing. I like the guitar, as you can actually tell when they pull out a Les Paul, even with the effects used.

The middle slow record is a spectacular record by itself. Album of the year quality, and worth the purchase price.
The last album of the three is fairly standard harder fair for them. Still it is just too long as a whole. It's the sonic equivalent of a selfie. A album selfie. Haha.

I wish a fan could post an order of say 6 songs out of the three albums that we all could put together as a simple one great album playlist. If you get the album, let's see your choice as a stripped down greatest hits comp of this behemoth slab.

:neutral_face:

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #21,230 of 29,701

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #21,231 of 29,701

From the video it sounds like this will be the album we expected the lower one to be?

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #21,232 of 29,701
Well it sounds great. It is quite the project to get from start to finish. I have ADD.

The middle album gets the most play from me. It is a little like the proggy and mellow parts of their old stuff, only expanded into a whole album of clean singing. I like the guitar, as you can actually tell when they pull out a Les Paul, even with the effects used.

The middle slow record is a spectacular record by itself. Album of the year quality, and worth the purchase price.
The last album of the three is fairly standard harder fair for them. Still it is just too long as a whole. It's the sonic equivalent of a selfie. A album selfie. Haha.

I wish a fan could post an order of say 6 songs out of the three albums that we all could put together as a simple one great album playlist. If you get the album, let's see your choice as a stripped down greatest hits comp of this behemoth slab.

:neutral_face:

What? Don't tell me everyone's favorite death metal Headfi guru is getting sucked into the vortex that is doom-probably my favorite genre right now. Be very careful my friend, it will take over your brain like a fungus! Then you will join the walking dead
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #21,233 of 29,701
What? Don't tell me everyone's favorite death metal Headfi guru is getting sucked into the vortex that is doom-probably my favorite genre right now. Be very careful my friend, it will take over your brain like a fungus! Then you will join the walking dead:evil:

Laugh out Loud,

That's my roots. Hard to believe it was me a cassette recorder and doom in 1972?

Our oldest metal genre. But it does still sound fresh. This week has been Ufomammut, St Vitus and Candlemass. I also listened to Sabbath in 24/96?

But yes, there is a coolness to it that is maybe missing in the other sub genres. There is a fabulous "I don't give a Phuck" to it all that I actually forgot about?

I have been going into classical also. There is like this idea I have to now start finding well recorded classical. An album I listened to today was recorded in 1958 and 1963 and on Decca records, sounded amazing. I had no idea they knew how to record live music so good in the late 1950s-early 1960s.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #21,234 of 29,701
Laugh out Loud,

That's my roots. Hard to believe it was me a cassette recorder and doom in 1972?

Our oldest metal genre. But it does still sound fresh. This week has been Ufomammut, St Vitus and Candlemass. I also listened to Sabbath in 24/96?

But yes, there is a coolness to it that is maybe missing in the other sub genres. There is a fabulous "I don't give a Phuck" to it all that I actually forgot about?

I have been going into classical also. There is like this idea I have to now start finding well recorded classical. An album I listened to today was recorded in 1958 and 1963 and on Decca records, sounded amazing. I had no idea they knew how to record live music so good in the late 1950s-early 1960s.

Welcome back, brother.

I just got some vinyl after buying my first turntable in 35 years or so.  Solid weekend of Om, Yob, Elder ahead for me.  Oh, and my GF bought me the Rhino release of the first Black Sabbath album in 180-gram glory

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #21,235 of 29,701
Welcome back, brother.

I just got some vinyl after buying my first turntable in 35 years or so.  Solid weekend of Om, Yob, Elder ahead for me.  Oh, and my GF bought me the Rhino release of the first Black Sabbath album in 180-gram glory

I had the UK 1st pressing of that which I had picked up used in 1976. It was heavy scratched and I sold it this year. I still have the 1999 Castle remaster on vinyl. The Vertigo pressing had this upside down cross and poem inside.

But, ya. That single album is everything to me and always has been. Just this month I was walking down the street listening to it and heard this break in the song The Wizard that was like hearing it for the first time. It never gets old. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Did you notice how the building windows form an upside down cross?

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #21,236 of 29,701

From the video it sounds like this will be the album we expected the lower one to be?

Thank gawd for that!
That Alkaloid album was just....boring.
Let's see if the new Obscura can beat the fantastic Omnivium.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #21,237 of 29,701
Thank gawd for that!

That Alkaloid album was just....boring.

Let's see if the new Obscura can beat the fantastic Omnivium.

Omnivium will be hard to beat! Lol
Yes, my new YouTube music set-up could not keep up with the speed those fingers were moving at? I wanted to say "They are back" but was afraid?

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #21,238 of 29,701
Laugh out Loud,

I've been on a major classical rant for the first time in a serious way. Funny, or not so funny, I think there is a good bit of crossover. Epic is certainly a word that can apply to both genres. Descriptives  like neo classical or simi-operatic vocals (Bruce Dickenson and Rob Halford I'm looking a you) are often slapped onto metal reviews. I've read so many reviews over the years-especially with symphonic BM that will say something, like "such and such band writes epic compositions of Wagner proportion's or something  being Wagnerian. Plus I like the operatic stylings of bands like Virgin Black  Tristania and the mighty Therion. So, I decided it was time to learn a little more.

I've always liked a little Mozart and Beethoven there to relax, maybe a little Bach, so I finally decided it was time to learn about this vast thing called classical that seeps into more metal than many of us might care to admit. Alex over at Metalfi gave me the nudge. Picked up a Verdi requiem and Wagner orchestral compilation.

He also turned me onto Robert Greenburg's Great Courses: listening and understanding Great Music. The guy is a tremendous lecturer-brilliant in his way he breaks down explains classical and opera and makes learning this obtuse genre quite a bit of fun. His biographies of the composers are fascinating. He has a bunch of CDs and DVDs that are a no brainer for anyone wanting to learn a little about the relevance and theory of classical  music.

I'm now convinced that classical will be more appealing once you  have decent hifi playback (check) and when you know something about the history, culture and lives of these great old dead composers.

I wouldn't buy the CD's or DVD's at retail but used on Amazon there are some deals and even better, many libraries have them.

I was skeptical at first, but since they are free from the library I had several of the series sent to my library and I've been listening to them on my commute to work.  Plus I see so many influences in metal I was ignorant of....like the influence of macabre death obsessed composers during the Romantic era......interesting stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Teaching-Company-Understand-Guidebooks/dp/1565853717

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/music/how-to-listen-to-and-understand-opera.html

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #21,239 of 29,701
Reading the last posts brought back a lot of ny memories. My friend`s brother, a generous guy, gave us some 45ties from the disclotheque he was working at for free. Well thank you even after 45 years. Worn out, totaly scratched, but who cares! We were young and on our mono turntables they were the holy grail of good music. Above all stood 

Black Sabbath "Paranoid" - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkXHsK4AQPs

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #21,240 of 29,701
Omnivium will be hard to beat! Lol
Yes, my new YouTube music set-up could not keep up with the speed those fingers were moving at? I wanted to say "They are back" but was afraid?

I love the new obscura :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back