Lets Talk Metal
Aug 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #20,161 of 29,653
New song from Vehemence is up!!! Available in 24/96 on Bandcamp!!!! I know the owner of the label and asked him to make the 24/96 available and they agreed! So damn awesome. The song is totally killer. Can't wait for the rest of the album!

https://vehemenceofficial.bandcamp.com/

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #20,162 of 29,653
  New song from Vehemence is up!!! Available in 24/96 on Bandcamp!!!! I know the owner of the label and asked him to make the 24/96 available and they agreed! So damn awesome. The song is totally killer. Can't wait for the rest of the album!

https://vehemenceofficial.bandcamp.com/

Cool, but...if you convert the 24-bit / 96 kHz files to 16-bit / 44.1 kHz, they sound exactly the same.

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #20,163 of 29,653
I get to link this again! :D http://www.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

The tl;dr is the same as lossless: the benefits are for recording engineers because it gives extra headroom during mixing and mastering, not because of audible benefits.

So just like any media production (video, photography, audio), recording with maximal data reproduction is for the benefit of the creator, the end result can have plenty of compression and fidelity "loss" because where those losses occur are well outside our perceptive ability.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #20,165 of 29,653
I do realize all of this. I just prefer to have the 24/96 file when they'll let me have it, because why not? I have plenty of disk space.

Anyway, the song is great.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #20,166 of 29,653
  I do realize all of this. I just prefer to have the 24/96 file when they'll let me have it, because why not? I have plenty of disk space.

No doubt. I've always said, all else equal, keep the most "true" to the original. I do YouTube and record in lossless, but the video that gets posted is heavily compressed and the eyes aren't gonna tell a lick of difference, but because I have enough storage space I keep doing it that way.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #20,167 of 29,653

No doubt. I've always said, all else equal, keep the most "true" to the original. I do YouTube and record in lossless, but the video that gets posted is heavily compressed and the eyes aren't gonna tell a lick of difference, but because I have enough storage space I keep doing it that way.

Same here. With practically unlimited space, I just leave everything as-is.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #20,169 of 29,653
  Who else besides me loves all styles of metal?
bigsmile_face.gif

depending on your definition I do. if it includes core and nu metal then i don't. But otherwise everything from the classic stuff up through to funeral doom and progressive power metal. For example, I saw Rhapsody the day after I got back from maryland deathfest a few years ago

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #20,170 of 29,653
  depending on your definition I do. if it includes core and nu metal then i don't. But otherwise everything from the classic stuff up through to funeral doom and progressive power metal. For example, I saw Rhapsody the day after I got back from maryland deathfest a few years ago

You're almost there, 'cept I like metalcore and nu metal too. (Though obviously, there are sucky bands in any genre.)

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #20,171 of 29,653

Stop swearing or I'll report you.

In all seriousness, all these blackgaze bands were so popular that before I heard the subgenre I figured I'd like it. I hate it for the post part. I just don't get how those sappy sounding chords fit in. As soon as I hear them, game over. I wish I were a musician so that I could specify more clearly what I'm talking about. Also, and this might sound petty, but when I watch live metal show on YouTube I want to see metal heads in the audience. The blackgaze shows I've watched had hipster audiences. Extreme metal is going mainstream, which judging by most popular music nowadays is a bad bad thing.

If you think blackgaze is "mainstream" I challenge you to go out to any bar on a given night and find many people who've even HEARD of Deafheaven, Ghost Bath, Lantlos, and Russian Circles let alone are fans or could name an album. XD

Metal was mainstream in years gone by, it ain't even close to it now. People trying to act like Sabbath, Priest, and Slayer weren't household names back in the day. Unless Cattle Decapitation being number ONE HUNDRED on the Billboard Top 200 counts to you as mainstream, you're just being elitist, and being surprised that there are hipsters in a blackgaze show is like being surprised to find sports fans at a football game. What are you expecting in a blackgaze show? Corpse paint? Bloody arms? A moshpit?

I'll tell ya who I don't want to see in the audience at a metal show: a guy who gets mad that the "wrong crowd" is in the audience at a metal show. 
etysmile.gif

I guess I touched a nerve there lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back