Lets Talk Metal
Aug 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #20,191 of 29,676
Sorry, my mistake. The posts about calling them "rock" made me think you were saying the point was invalid because AC/DC isn't "metal". Totally my misreading, sorry about that.

My posts earlier were going after this notion of "extreme metal is going mainstream" with the only evidence being the existence of blackgaze, as if the fact that bands are doing a sound means the genre as a whole is becoming mainstream, which is just silly. You stack modern metal bands up against titans like Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Deep Purple and it ain't even a fair comparison. Those guys were gods. None of the "hipster" metal bands are anything but underground.

Metal is never gonna be mainstream just because it's not a sound that's been made in a way to have really good crossover appeal. It's not casual listening, it's not easy background music, a lot of it goes at really goofy tempos. You'll get a handful of bands that break through but they'll be the exception rather than the norm. 

All I remember is MTV playing this "Home Sweet Home" vid once an hour all day and night, seven days a week in 85-86. That was the horrible result of mainstream metal in my life.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WAZ60xA9wo

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #20,192 of 29,676
LMAO I feel the pain. Best we had in my old hometown was that the radio played Billy Idol at least once an hour, both Rebel Yell and White Wedding. Not even kidding, I think the DJ made a mixtape back in 1989 and just figured that was all he'd ever need. And this was like... 2003. 

Side note, there's a great instrumental post/sludge/etc album out today. Caverns - Outsiders: http://grimoirerecords.bandcamp.com/album/outsiders

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #20,193 of 29,676
All I remember is MTV playing this "Home Sweet Home" vid once an hour all day and night, seven days a week in 85-86. That was the horrible result of mainstream metal in my life.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WAZ60xA9wo

That is really true. Radio just plays the same couple of songs by an artists. Like if all you ever heard was Zeppelin or Sabbath on the radio, then bought their albums, you'd think, "damn, these dudes had a bunch of other really killer songs. Why haven't I ever heard them?"

And, I'd have to put Every Rose Has It's Thorn as about the worst. Well, wait, then there was Cherry Pie. Oh, God, it was awful.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #20,194 of 29,676
My point wasn't metal as a whole, but specifically extreme metal. And I guess I should have chosen my words better. I don't mean billboard hits that teenage girls are playing at sweet sixteen parties (Defeated Sanity), but more that there are new forms of extreme metal that are reaching a wider fan base than previous incarnations. I personally want it to stay underground.

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #20,195 of 29,676
Sorry guys, long time no post...

campj I agree very much in that I love how extreme metal gigs are usually in small venues filled with people that love the music as much as I do, but on the other hand, if more people listened to metal, this world would be a better place.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #20,197 of 29,676
Gojira's definitely an excellent band. I wouldn't call them "for the masses" so much as that they're just not part of any extreme subgenre. TBH I like them better than their influences. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #20,198 of 29,676
  Gojira's definitely an excellent band. I wouldn't call them "for the masses" so much as that they're just not part of any extreme subgenre. TBH I like them better than their influences. 

They are classified here as progressive/groove/death metal, and here as technical death metal, progressive metal, and groove metal. So perhaps not any one extreme subgenre.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #20,199 of 29,676
I'd say calling Gojira "death" is a hell of a stretch, and they're DEFINITELY not tech-death. No one's gonna hear Gojira and think they're the same as Obscura or Gorguts haha. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #20,201 of 29,676
  Which is why it was specified that they mix in other styles, not just death.

You should put your hairsplitting prowess to better use by becoming a hairdresser.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #20,202 of 29,676
  You should put your hairsplitting prowess to better use by becoming a hairdresser.

Haha oh come on, it's fun to dissect styles. It's not just about splitting hairs or fighting over terminology, it's a good way to really analyze the music itself, ask what works and what doesn't, pick apart influences. 

This is a forum for people who argue about silver-plated copper vs silver cables and get into big rows concerning inaudible differences in bitrate, what's wrong with talking about musical styles?

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #20,203 of 29,676

hehe. This girl is Yuno Gasai from Mirai Nikki (The Future Diary). She looks eerily similar to your new avatar.

Haha oh come on, it's fun to dissect styles. It's not just about splitting hairs or fighting over terminology, it's a good way to really analyze the music itself, ask what works and what doesn't, pick apart influences. 

This is a forum for people who argue about silver-plated copper vs silver cables and get into big rows concerning inaudible differences in bitrate, what's wrong with talking about musical styles?

I like dissecting styles. Yum! lol

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #20,204 of 29,676

Hehe well the 'for the masses' part was more or less tongue in cheek at campj, because if any extreme metal band is able to rise above the underground, it is Gojira. Although I don't see why they would need to be part of any specific subgenre to do so..

I'd say calling Gojira "death" is a hell of a stretch, and they're DEFINITELY not tech-death. No one's gonna hear Gojira and think they're the same as Obscura or Gorguts haha. 

I really don't understand the need to classify every band into a specific subgenre (not necesarily aimed at you, I see this happen all the time); aren't the unclassifiable bands usually the most interesting..?

Like Terra Tenebrosa, to name but one not so random awesome band..?

In the case of Gojira, the death metal roots are pretty clear - especially on their earlier work. You wouldn't mistake what they do now for any other genre if Joe still growled. And if you look at their single biggest influence, things don't get much more death metal than Morbid Angel was. Gojira just progressed pretty fast to a point where they don't simply fit into the death metal genre. So I suppose that could make them 'progressive post death'..? Or if you take the subject matter into consideration, extreme eco metal? Green-core..? Technical tribal t(h)rash?! :)

Edit: typo and some heavy matter - can't just talk about Gojira and not hearing them! \m/
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/6DPhFpZW5a8[/VIDEO]

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #20,205 of 29,676
Speaking of mixing lots of styles...my main particular style of metal that I compose is melodic death metal + black metal + metalcore + a little bit of everything else too. I came up with the name for the band many years ago and even got someone to draw up a very cool logo. I have roughly two albums worth of material in my head, but it's all incomplete. I could probably manage recording the music myself, but I can't do the vocals. If the band ever becomes a reality, it would basically be a solo project with session musicians that could perform live too, if I decide to do concerts. Before all that, I'll need to figure out how to record it to sound the way I hear it in my head... Another thing I want to do is record a cover album primarily consisting of instrumental extreme metal versions of video game music. haha. It would also be nice to record covers of In Flames' entire discography in my own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back