Lets Talk Metal
Aug 26, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #20,206 of 29,693
I really don't understand the need to classify every band into a specific subgenre (not necesarily aimed at you, I see this happen all the time); aren't the unclassifiable bands usually the most interesting..?

Like Terra Tenebrosa, to name but one not so random awesome band..?

In the case of Gojira, the death metal roots are pretty clear - especially on their earlier work. You wouldn't mistake what they do now for any other genre if Joe still growled. And if you look at their single biggest influence, things don't get much more death metal than Morbid Angel was. Gojira just progressed pretty fast to a point where they don't simply fit into the death metal genre. So I suppose that could make them 'progressive post death'..? Or if you take the subject matter into consideration, extreme eco metal? Green-core..? Technical tribal t(h)rash?!
smily_headphones1.gif

They're definitely progressive-ish, but I can't think of any album of theirs that sounds especially death-y, not even going back to The Link. They're a highly Meshuggah-influenced band, like they're about as Meshuggah as it gets without the goofy polyrhythms (and that's a good thing, IMO). I don't hear ANY Morbid Angel in their sound.

I don't see what's wrong with analyzing sounds, personally. It helps figure out what we like about the music we like. If you just go "omg itz all metuhl" then you find yourself going "okay well what kind of sound do you like in your metal?" and there's no way to really explain. You can name BANDS, but that's all. Classification in music, like chemistry, helps us categorize. Nothing wrong with that!

As for Terra Tenebrosa (funny you brought them up... 
wink.gif
 ) they're a post-metal band. There's some doomy/sludge in there and a few oddities, but I feel pretty confident in calling them post metal and being done with it. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #20,208 of 29,693
  This is a forum for people who argue about silver-plated copper vs silver cables and get into big rows concerning inaudible differences in bitrate, what's wrong with talking about musical styles?

Nothing per se.

hehe. This girl is Yuno Gasai from Mirai Nikki (The Future Diary). She looks eerily similar to your new avatar.

I know. Don't like her. Not one bit. Ruins the whole show for me.

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #20,209 of 29,693
I've been listening to Fear Factory's new album Genexus on a daily basis. Still haven't memorized it yet, but it's growing on me. Who else here is a Fear Factory fan, besides @Redcarmoose
?

Yes, I listen to it everyday. It seems hard to get sick of? An enexpected joy this year?

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #20,210 of 29,693

They're definitely progressive-ish, but I can't think of any album of theirs that sounds especially death-y, not even going back to The Link.

>>> oh come on, you don't hear the death metal influence in The Link..? 

>>> I'm starting to think you wouldn't recognise death metal if it hammer smashed your face... :wink:

>>> And how about Terra Incognita?

>>> 'Posessed' maybe..? 

They're a highly Meshuggah-influenced band, like they're about as Meshuggah as it gets without the goofy polyrhythms (and that's a good thing, IMO). I don't hear ANY Morbid Angel in their sound.

>>> Really? You hear NO Morbid Angel, at all..?

>>> How about that riff at 1:47 in the song I posted? Their music is full of riffs like that... that is no Meshuggah.

>>> Just to be sure we're talking about the same Morbid Angel:

I don't see what's wrong with analyzing sounds, personally. It helps figure out what we like about the music we like. If you just go "omg itz all metuhl" then you find yourself going "okay well what kind of sound do you like in your metal?" and there's no way to really explain. You can name BANDS, but that's all. Classification in music, like chemistry, helps us categorize. Nothing wrong with that!

>>> Oh yeah, definitely, analyzing music is fun. Nothing wrong with that. And I agree that classification can help to form an image of a band's sound, if you're reading about a band you don't know or if you're describing a band to a friend or something. My point was about the apparent need to put everything into a specific corner or mould or subgenre or whatever, as if that is what defines a band - any band - or their sound. 

As for Terra Tenebrosa (funny you brought them up... 
wink.gif
 ) they're a post-metal band. There's some doomy/sludge in there and a few oddities, but I feel pretty confident in calling them post metal and being done with it. 

>>> If Terra Tenebrosa is post metal, I should listen to more post metal. But it's probably not that simple, right? 

beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #20,211 of 29,693
I know. Don't like her. Not one bit. Ruins the whole show for me.

Oh, I must have forgotten you saw that one. (Did you see all the episodes? It's my third favorite anime now.)

Yes, I listen to it everyday. It seems hard to get sick of? An enexpected joy this year?

Use that time to hear their other albums!

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #20,212 of 29,693
  Oh, I must have forgotten you saw that one. (Did you see all the episodes? It's my third favorite anime now.)

Dropped it.
No, I will not give it a second chance.

Not 100% Metal but I love love love this album!

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #20,214 of 29,693
New Horrendous in at the end of October

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Horrendous/Anareta/528607

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2015/8/24/exclusive-premiere-horrendous-sum-of-all-failures

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #20,217 of 29,693

music aint got balls now

Really?

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/young-and-in-the-way-shuts-down-a-venue-after-spraying-blood-everywhere

Young and In the Way recently played the Lexington Avenue Brewery in Asheville, NC, for presumably the last time. The band played the back room at the venue and during their performance they sprayed animal blood all over the crowd. This was an act the venue was none too pleased with. The damage was so severe the venue had to temporarily shut down.

Unless you mean the music itself doesn't have balls now, which is weird when you link to a pretty sedate bluesy song...

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #20,219 of 29,693

Ulver - Bergtatt - 1995 (you-tube full album)

They only released 3000 copies of this set.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVcjf_p5pDY

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #20,220 of 29,693

Really?

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/young-and-in-the-way-shuts-down-a-venue-after-spraying-blood-everywhere

Unless you mean the music itself doesn't have balls now, which is weird when you link to a pretty sedate bluesy song...

does nowt for me and boring

^ballllzzzzzz 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back