Lets Talk Metal
Aug 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #20,057 of 29,663

Once you catch the upgrade-bug, it does indeed drive you crazy.

I JUST bought the Shure SE215's, and now I'm eagerly anticipating the day when I can upgrade my in-ears to the Dunu DN-2000, even though I plan to get the Sony MDR-1A as over-ears before that.  How much you wanna bet that once I have the MDR-1A and the DN-2000s, I will love them, and yet still set my sights on something higher-end and more expensive almost immediately, LOL.

The cure to that is to just jump straight into summit-fi and be done with it.
evil_smiley.gif

It takes longer to save the money for it, but in the long run it's cheaper since you'd end up there anyway.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #20,058 of 29,663
I think younger members should strive at all costs for the best gear.

I think it is fine to put finances a second.

It is kind of like enjoying life while you can.

At 19 in 1981 I owned the equivalent of $272 headphones. My stereo was better than I have now. My stereo was maybe worth 10k in today's money, but it sounded like $100,000.

When your young music sounds different. Music maybe even means more? I say put everything aside for great sound. I did and I have the memories from it.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #20,059 of 29,663
Some epic news came out of Swallow the Sun just now, they posted this on their Facebook.

"The new SWALLOW THE SUN release will be a triple album entitled Songs From The North I, II & III.

Main songwriter and guitarist Juha Raivio comments on the triple album concept: “Making a triple album in this godforsaken digital and modern day and age...Many will say it's madness. I say it is to bring worth, heart and respect back into the music and to the album format where it belongs. This should never turn into a shallow fast food industry where music is only downloaded one song at a time.

These albums hold life, death, gloom, beauty and despair in their deepest levels and forms. The three chapters are different but connected, one long journey through these songs written up here in the North.

Music is holy, albums are holy. See you on the other side, friends.”

Soundi Magazine (FI) has published a story about the new SWALLOW THE SUN release. See below for an excerpt from the article that reveals more details about the three albums:

Juha Raivio: “We will release a three studio album package, called ‘Songs From The North I, II & III’. The records are very different from each other, but still form one entity: one with respect for SWALLOW THE SUN's traditions, the second beautifully acoustic, and the third a trip into funeral doom´s dark world.

I wonder if any Finnish band has previously released three new studio albums at the same time? This might be a historic release? I hope so.”

Timo Isoaho (Soundi Magazine): “I mean, three new studio albums! It must have been enormous task?”

Raivio: “Well, we have been short of sleep…We have undeniably done quite a lot work for these records. My attitude towards this very personal entity has been that if this project kills me, at least I can sleep well knowing that it’s the most important SWALLOW THE SUN release.”

Stay tuned for more news about Songs From The North I, II & III coming soon!"

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #20,060 of 29,663
Some epic news came out of Swallow the Sun just now, they posted this on their Facebook.

"The new SWALLOW THE SUN release will be a triple album entitled Songs From The North I, II & III.

Main songwriter and guitarist Juha Raivio comments on the triple album concept: “Making a triple album in this godforsaken digital and modern day and age...Many will say it's madness. I say it is to bring worth, heart and respect back into the music and to the album format where it belongs. This should never turn into a shallow fast food industry where music is only downloaded one song at a time.

These albums hold life, death, gloom, beauty and despair in their deepest levels and forms. The three chapters are different but connected, one long journey through these songs written up here in the North.

Soundi Magazine (FI) has published a story about the new SWALLOW THE SUN release. See below for an excerpt from the article that reveals more details about the three albums:

Juha Raivio: “We will release a three studio album package, called ‘Songs From The North I, II & III’. The records are very different from each other, but still form one entity: one with respect for SWALLOW THE SUN's traditions, the second beautifully acoustic, and the third a trip into funeral doom´s dark world.

I wonder if any Finnish band has previously released three new studio albums at the same time? This might be a historic release? I hope so.”

Timo Isoaho (Soundi Magazine): “I mean, three new studio albums! It must have been enormous task?”

Raivio: “Well, we have been short of sleep…We have undeniably done quite a lot work for these records. My attitude towards this very personal entity has been that if this project kills me, at least I can sleep well knowing that it’s the most important SWALLOW THE SUN release.”

Now they need a Blood Music special boxset to cap it all off.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #20,061 of 29,663
I think younger members should strive at all costs for the best gear.

I think it is fine to put finances a second.

It is kind of like enjoying life while you can.

At 19 in 1981 I owned the equivalent of $272 headphones. My stereo was better than I have now. My stereo was maybe worth 10k in today's money, but it sounded like $100,000.

When your young music sounds different. Music maybe even means more? I say put everything aside for great sound. I did and I have the memories from it.

Oh, man, that's an interesting way to go. It's just a personal choice...this from the two older guys in the room.

I guess I'm just not a big gambler. I've gone through my share of hobbies and lifestyles-pursued an acting career in LA, trained, and showed purebreds Newoundland dogs, a bit of cycling, now kayaking and audio. I like expensive hobbies!

This is JUST ME and I'm not telling anyone how to live their life, but again-for me-maybe I'm more conservative in my life choices. Whether you're into audio, cars, scubba diving, sky diving, boating, whatever......I don't think it makes a lot of sense to put in big $ in a hobby if you don't have your basics covered. Most of these hobbies involve maintenance kinds of expenses. And, if you've got 10K in audio but don't have two nickels to rub together at the end of the month after you've paid your bills and can barely afford to eat-that feels out of whack to me.

And, that means having something-not a lot-but something-in the bank to cover a months worth of living expenses during lean times.

Then, the other side, is headfiers-you know they're out there-with deep pockets that spend tens of thousands-maybe annually on this stuff.

And, another side is a lot of headfiers who buy and sell gear to fund other purchases. And, I DO get that. In that case you're leveraging your gear to buy other stuff. Makes sense. Although in the long run a lot of us loose/waste money upgrading and losing when we sell. It would make more sense saving up for what you really want. But, on that count, I'm guilty as charged!

Believe me, when I was young I lived hand to mouth. When I was trying to make it in LA as an actor I went though a few years when I made less than 10,000 a year and I wouldn't want to go back to that. I'm just speaking from my life experience and preferences. It suck being poor...I know from personal experience
bigsmile_face.gif

Now, a little older and not so tight month to month, no way would I want to have to sell my stereo, HPs, bike or kayaks to pay rent. And, of course, hard times can hit any of us at any time. Just for me, if I'm going to spend a couple of K on audio, I would want to have some reserve cash flow.

To each his/her own.....

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #20,062 of 29,663

It's funny because I was listening to the album 'New Moon' when I saw your post
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #20,063 of 29,663
Oh, man, that's an interesting way to go. It's just a personal choice...this from the two older guys in the room.

I guess I'm just not a big gambler. I've gone through my share of hobbies and lifestyles-pursued an acting career in LA, trained, and showed purebreds Newoundland dogs, a bit of cycling, now kayaking and audio. I like expensive hobbies!

This is JUST ME and I'm not telling anyone how to live their life, but again-for me-maybe I'm more conservative in my life choices. Whether you're into audio, cars, scubba diving, sky diving, boating, whatever......I don't think it makes a lot of sense to put in big $ in a hobby if you don't have your basics covered. Most of these hobbies involve maintenance kinds of expenses. And, if you've got 10K in audio but don't have two nickels to rub together at the end of the month after you've paid your bills and can barely afford to eat-that feels out of whack to me.

And, that means having something-not a lot-but something-in the bank to cover a months worth of living expenses during lean times.

Then, the other side, is headfiers-you know they're out there-with deep pockets that spend tens of thousands-maybe annually on this stuff.

And, another side is a lot of headfiers who buy and sell gear to fund other purchases. And, I DO get that. In that case you're leveraging your gear to buy other stuff. Makes sense. Although in the long run a lot of us loose/waste money upgrading and losing when we sell. It would make more sense saving up for what you really want. But, on that count, I'm guilty as charged!

Believe me, when I was young I lived hand to mouth. When I was trying to make it in LA as an actor I went though a few years when I made less than 10,000 a year and I wouldn't want to go back to that. I'm just speaking from my life experience and preferences. It suck being poor...I know from personal experience :bigsmile_face:

Now, a little older and not so tight month to month, no way would I want to have to sell my stereo, HPs, bike or kayaks to pay rent. And, of course, hard times can hit any of us at any time. Just for me, if I'm going to spend a couple of K on audio, I would want to have some reserve cash flow.

To each his/her own.....

I have never handled money right. Still I have always liked nice stuff. I would not be where I am today if my wife was not great with money. When she met me my room looked like a pawn shop. Giant guitar amps, guitars. I made 70k a year in 1998 when we met but had no money, and still lived paycheck to paycheck.

So if I read about someone spending a ton of money on gear at 26 I guess I understand. This audio thing is a passion. It is like drugs or gambling and can get in the way of happiness if your not careful. Still though "we're all crazy here" right? Somehow we always make it passed the challenges! I agree it would be nice to have $4K as a nest egg stuffed away. Still I think you will find there is a certain audiophile that sacrifices for his hobby. That is the romantic part of this hobby in a way. The guy who eats noodles, has no car but has a kickass stereo. It is almost like an artist who somehow has to go through sacrifice and pain to find the beauty in life.

I remember my Dads face when I showed him (and priced out) my current flagship set-up. Priceless.

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #20,064 of 29,663
Ive a random playlist blasting through monitor speakers(soundcheck is on)
Some tracks sound like mud others sound clear.
ive jumped from status quo to cannibal corpse-both tracks are well recorded.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #20,065 of 29,663
I have never handled money right. Still I have always liked nice stuff. I would not be where I am today if my wife was not great with money. When she met me my room looked like a pawn shop. Giant guitar amps, guitars. I made 70k a year in 1998 when we met but had no money, and still lived paycheck to paycheck.

So if I read about someone spending a ton of money on gear at 26 I guess I understand. This audio thing is a passion. It is like drugs or gambling and can get in the way of happiness if your not careful. Still though "we're all crazy here" right? Somehow we always make it passed the challenges! I agree it would be nice to have $4K as a nest egg stuffed away. Still I think you will find there is a certain audiophile that sacrifices for his hobby. That is the romantic part of this hobby in a way. The guy who eats noodles, has no car but has a kickass stereo. It is almost like an artist who somehow has to go through sacrifice and pain to find the beauty in life.

I remember my Dads face when I showed him (and priced out) my current flagship set-up. Priceless.

You make some great points!

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #20,066 of 29,663

Glad to know I'm not alone with my spending habits. 
biggrin.gif
I get all sorts of crap from my fiancee for getting something nice to myself every now and then. She on the other hand has no problem with buying yet another handbag, scarf, shoes or booking a trip abroad.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #20,067 of 29,663
Glad to know I'm not alone with my spending habits. :D I get all sorts of crap from my fiancee for getting something nice to myself every now and then. She on the other hand has no problem with buying yet another handbag, scarf, shoes or booking a trip abroad.

Their money is their money and your money is their money. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #20,068 of 29,663
Their money is their money and your money is their money. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you got that right. In a long term relationship-keep your money separate. The more challenging thing is if you're raising kids or living together and saving for long terms goals as couple. You know struggling to put money into college funds, savings, home improvements, bla, bla, bla. Then it gets harder to justify a luxury expense when maybe your wife or girl friend  really want to upgrade a bathroom or something.

So, I think you have to set up some ground rules-boundaries. My solution was sort of accidentally falling into a part time weekend teaching job that grew out of another hobby. I just use that money. In other words-be creative and find another source of revenue that's separate from your regular income.

My other advise when this subject comes up-is have a little audio slush fund that is off limits to your partner. Even if your just putting in $50 or whatever every time you get paid. I have a little slush fund. That's off the table-no negotiations. But, I guess we all have our way of working this stuff out. Bottom lime these are fun luxury expenses that-like you said earlier-appear-at least to others-to be addictive behavior. One way or the other you have to work that out.

The take away for all the young dudes out there-stay single-LOL!

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #20,069 of 29,663

anyone?

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #20,070 of 29,663
  I think you got that right. In a long term relationship-keep your money separate. The more challenging thing is if you're raising kids or living together and saving for long terms goals as couple. You know struggling to put money into college funds, savings, home improvements, bla, bla, bla. Then it gets harder to justify a luxury expense when maybe your wife or girl friend  really want to upgrade a bathroom or something.

So, I think you have to set up some ground rules-boundaries. My solution was sort of accidentally falling into a part time weekend teaching job that grew out of another hobby. I just use that money. In other words-be creative and find another source of revenue that's separate from your regular income.

My other advise when this subject comes up-is have a little audio slush fund that is off limits to your partner. Even if your just putting in $50 or whatever every time you get paid. I have a little slush fund. That's off the table-no negotiations. But, I guess we all have our way of working this stuff out. Bottom lime these are fun luxury expenses that-like you said earlier-appear-at least to others-to be addictive behavior. One way or the other you have to work that out.

The take away for all the young dudes out there-stay single-LOL!

That reminds me of a story from when I was a teenager. I was a bag boy at a grocery store. Saved up most of my earnings, but then I later found out that my own mother stole $8,000 from me! Lesson learned: never get a joint bank account.
ph34r.gif

At least I bought tons of metal behind her back. Before I had a debit card, I would send cash in an envelope to record labels with a list of the CDs I wanted. haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back