Lets Talk Metal
Aug 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #20,041 of 29,676
He will have a Little Dot tube amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s, so he will be fine till he upgrades in two weeks.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #20,044 of 29,676

I have never heard the HD 600. I owned an HD 650 before and am getting another HD 650 along with a tube amp soon, from a CD trade. I actually just found out my lease ends much sooner than expected, so I have to sell everything off, unfortunately. The person who is sending me the HD 650 is buying my STAX SR-207 system. Anyway, the HD 600 and HD 650 are very similar. Most notably, the HD 600 is more neutral, while the HD 650 is more lush and smooth.

ive heard the 650 paired with a good amp is the endgame for a lot of people.I may get there someday but im easily pleased with what ive got

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #20,045 of 29,676
What's with the iPod shuffles?

The first ones, either the 500MB or 1GB from around 2005 actually sound better to many people, than most Apple DAPs.

They just have this warm Wolfson DAC sound with a great soundstage. They do good with metal. You can still find them around and they don't cost that much.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #20,046 of 29,676
I look at Audiophilia a little like gambling or any other expensive hobby. These expenses really should be discretionary which is probably why I held off getting into audio until I as a little older and had my finances in order. If you have to use your rainy day fund, your savings, or your rent money then maybe you're living beyond your means.  I learned a long time ago to always have a reserve 2-3K in case the schiit hits the fan. I would always want the same amount of $ in a savings account as I had in audio.  I just hate to see people buy expensive gear when they barely have enough money to pay rent. It's no good having 10K in audio if you're a paycheck away from being on the street. Then again, I never saw the appeal of heroin 
smile.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #20,047 of 29,676
He will have a Little Dot tube amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD650s, so he will be fine till he upgrades in two weeks.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yep, the guy is holding that gear for me until I know my new address, since there isn't time to send it here before I move. If there was, I would have been tempted to sell it, because I'm strapped for cash at the moment. Gonna go to record shops and sell off the rest of my CDs today...

ive heard the 650 paired with a good amp is the endgame for a lot of people.I may get there someday but im easily pleased with what ive got

You're better off being happy with what you have. Once you go down the rabbit hole of higher-end audio gear, it will drive you mad! lol. All the stuff I've owned (see profile) was just to tide me over until I could afford the SR-009 and AB-1266.

I look at Audiophilia a little like gambling or any other expensive hobby. These expenses really should be discretionary which is probably why I held off getting into audio until I as a little older and had my finances in order. If you have to use your rainy day fund, your savings, or your rent money then maybe you're living beyond your means.  I learned a long time ago to always have a reserve 2-3K in case the schiit hits the fan. I would always want the same amount of $ in a savings account as I had in audio.  I just hate to see people buy expensive gear when they barely have enough money to pay rent. It's no good having 10K in audio if you're a paycheck away from being on the street. Then again, I never saw the appeal of heroin 
smile.gif

It's just that I thought my lease ended two weeks from now, but it's actually two days, so I didn't have time to prepare. I can make mad money with little effort when I actually try; I usually just do a tiny bit of work to cover my expenses for awhile and buy some stuff I want, then goof off the rest of the time.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #20,048 of 29,676
Aug 18, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #20,049 of 29,676
The first ones, either the 500MB or 1GB from around 2005 actually sound better to many people, than most Apple DAPs.

They just have this warm Wolfson DAC sound with a great soundstage. They do good with metal. You can still find them around and they don't cost that much.

http://www.headfonia.com/back-to-the-future-friday-the-original-apple-ipod-shuffle/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593796/px100-ii-review-discussion-thread/480#post_11841103
^^very good when paired with the px 100

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #20,050 of 29,676
  You're better off being happy with what you have. Once you go down the rabbit hole of higher-end audio gear, it will drive you mad! lol. All the stuff I've owned (see profile) was just to tide me over until I could afford the SR-009 and AB-1266.

It's a slippery slope indeed.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #20,051 of 29,676

It's a slippery slope indeed.

Once you catch the upgrade-bug, it does indeed drive you crazy.

I JUST bought the Shure SE215's, and now I'm eagerly anticipating the day when I can upgrade my in-ears to the Dunu DN-2000, even though I plan to get the Sony MDR-1A as over-ears before that.  How much you wanna bet that once I have the MDR-1A and the DN-2000s, I will love them, and yet still set my sights on something higher-end and more expensive almost immediately, LOL.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #20,052 of 29,676
Not really "metal", but there are some heavy passages. Highly recommended for post-rock fans

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #20,055 of 29,676
Also also not metal, but I'm really into the new Chelsea Wolfe album. I think it's one of the best albums with metal overtones I've heard in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back