Lets Talk Metal
Aug 4, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #19,891 of 29,662

SYL: City, SYL, Alien
Dev: Synchestra

I've got a long way to go, I know...

I like how there are three different Devin projects: Devin Townsend, Devin Townsend Project, and The Devin Townsend Band. XD

Deconstruction and Ghost.
Pause whatever you are listening to right now and turn on some gooood music.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #19,892 of 29,662
  Deconstruction and Ghost.
Pause whatever you are listening to right now and turn on some gooood music.

Thanks for the recommendations. But actually, I typically don't start listening to music until I've eaten at least twice and can thus more safely ingest toxic poison an energy drink. (Or soda if I've run out.) So I'll have to wait a few hours.
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #19,893 of 29,662
  DEATH-REMASTERS
I should imagine this has been discussed.Are they worth getting
biggrin.gif

I would say so, I thought they were better remasters than most (especially metal) remasters. The packaging is nice as well (especially the redesigned cover for The Sound of Perseverance), but that's not really worth it usually if the mastering is meh. Anyway, I do own all of the Death remasters from Human on, and I'm glad I got them.

SYL: City, SYL, Alien
Dev: Synchestra

I've got a long way to go, I know...

I like how there are three different Devin projects: Devin Townsend, Devin Townsend Project, and The Devin Townsend Band. XD

I'll give a rough ranking of his albums that I've thought about for awhile. I don't expect most to tackle all of this, but if anyone's interested...
(DT = Devin Townsend, DTB = The Devin Townsend Band, DTP = Devin Townsend Project, SYL = Strapping Young Lad)

DT - Ocean Machine: Biomech
DT - Terria
SYL - City
Casualties of Cool - s/t (very unique for him and in general)
DTB - Accelerated Evolution
SYL - Alien
DT - Infinity
DTP - Addicted
DTP - Z2: Dark Matters

Not sure where to rank these, but still worth checking out:

SYL - The New Black, s/t
DTB - Synchestra
DTP - Deconstruction, Epicloud, Ki, Ghost (no particular order)
DT - The Retinal Circus (live album)

His newest (double album) could be a fun place to start too. It's called Z2, there are two discs: the first is Sky Blue, which is okay but I don't listen to it much; the second is Dark Matters, a ridiculous concept album with dialogue and stuff. But Dark Matters has some pretty damn fun riffs/drums/everything, I'd recommend checking it out.

tl;dr Dev puts out a lot of great stuff, check whatever you want and see what you like.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #19,894 of 29,662
lol. Listening to "Dig [Everything And Nothing remix]" by Mudvayne at the moment.

I would say so, I thought they were better remasters than most (especially metal) remasters. The packaging is nice as well (especially the redesigned cover for The Sound of Perseverance), but that's not really worth it usually if the mastering is meh. Anyway, I do own all of the Death remasters from Human on, and I'm glad I got them.

I'll give a rough ranking of his albums that I've thought about for awhile. I don't expect most to tackle all of this, but if anyone's interested...
(DT = Devin Townsend, DTB = The Devin Townsend Band, DTP = Devin Townsend Project, SYL = Strapping Young Lad)

DT - Ocean Machine: Biomech
DT - Terria
SYL - City
Casualties of Cool - s/t (very unique for him and in general)
DTB - Accelerated Evolution
SYL - Alien
DT - Infinity
DTP - Addicted
DTP - Z2: Dark Matters

Not sure where to rank these, but still worth checking out:

SYL - The New Black, s/t
DTB - Synchestra
DTP - Deconstruction, Epicloud, Ki, Ghost (no particular order)
DT - The Retinal Circus (live album)

His newest (double album) could be a fun place to start too. It's called Z2, there are two discs: the first is Sky Blue, which is okay but I don't listen to it much; the second is Dark Matters, a ridiculous concept album with dialogue and stuff. But Dark Matters has some pretty damn fun riffs/drums/everything, I'd recommend checking it out.

tl;dr Dev puts out a lot of great stuff, check whatever you want and see what you like.

I'll probably listen to it all eventually.

Your avatar reminds me of an anime I like called "The Devil Is A Part-Timer!" It's really funny.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #19,895 of 29,662
DEATH-REMASTERS
I should imagine this has been discussed.Are they worth getting:D

I've got human, individual thought patterns, and sound of perseverance and I think they sound good enough. I don't think the dr is as high as the originals, but the mix is really balanced, plus they have the bonus tracks (that I didn't buy because it was something stupid like $25 on bandcamp).

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #19,897 of 29,662
  lol. Listening to "Dig [Everything And Nothing remix]" by Mudvayne at the moment.

I'll probably listen to it all eventually.

Your avatar reminds me of an anime I like called "The Devil Is A Part-Timer!" It's really funny.

Nice man, let me know what you think. It took me some time to get into Devin, he's quite cheesy in almost everything he does. But now he's easily one of my favorite dude's in metal, if not my favorite.

And ha, nice man. I've never heard of that anime, I'll have to look into it. I haven't watched a full anime show since I finished Ghost in the Shell: SAC a few months ago.

Solid and doomy. I'm really enjoying this one and it came out of nowhere.

Auric - Empty Seas

Jamming this now, it's pretty good/fun. Around 3:00 into the first song started to remind me of Gorguts.

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #19,899 of 29,662
Thanx for the feedback on the death remasters-Human is good and the bass and drum tracks are interesting-nice fretless bass.

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #19,900 of 29,662

I didnt think id like this but i was very wrong-nice cd by the exodus frontman-i think his sons also play on it

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #19,903 of 29,662

As recommended here. This album is simply amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgYz0Nq1yA

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #19,904 of 29,662

As recommended here. This album is simply amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgYz0Nq1yA

Haha it doesn't do anything groundbreaking, but I would say it doesn't have to when it's as crushing as it is. Amazing death metal record. Been listening to it a ton, basically whenever I'm not listening to the new Alustrium or Killer be Killed(late to the party on this one, but still digging it)

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #19,905 of 29,662
Haha it doesn't do anything groundbreaking, but I would say it doesn't have to when it's as crushing as it is. Amazing death metal record. Been listening to it a ton, basically whenever I'm not listening to the new Alustrium or Killer be Killed(late to the party on this one, but still digging it)

Because I'm a guitar player I guess I will always focus on other stuff while listening. The band actually supports the guitar in so many parts. Plus the effects on the guitar are new sounding to me. Just a clear and good production. I have not been listening to much death metal this year. Normally I'm at the 90% death metal %. So this is just too refreshing to get ahold off. It's doing some tricky musicianship to a tried and true formula! Plus they all are vertousos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back