Lets Talk Metal
Aug 3, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #19,876 of 29,635
Of couse there'd be like 234983274237 million different varying opinions on teh subject, now wouldn't there?

We can all agree wholeheartedly on one thing though, I suspect. . .that remastered or not, LED ZEPPELIN WAS THE FREAKING SHIZNIT!

Listening to No Quarter right now, a high-res FLAC version a friend of mine a while back ripped straight from the bona-fide oldschool vinyl release 2007 remaster of Mothership.  OH MAN, it sounds soooooo good.  I freaking LOVE No Quarter.  Might be my favorite Zeppelin song, honestly, although that statement is iffy at best, since one does not simply choose a favorite Led Zeppelin song (and yes, in the spirit of the almighty Interwebz meme-machine, you are to imagine me saying that in the same tone as Boromir).  In fact, guys, here ya go, for your craps and giggles:

Back at the time when The Song Remained The Same movie came out everyone went and saw it at the theatre. They would normally combine the movie with another concert movie. We would sneak in small bottles of booze.

People would actually smoke pot in the theaters for it. The 1970s really were different?

At the time Whole Lot Of Love or Dazed and Confused were my favorite live album songs. Latter though I came to love No Quarter live as my favorite and it still is.

Funny that the movie soundtrack did not have Stairway to Heaven till the remaster?

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #19,877 of 29,635
Nobody's gonna comment on that meme I went through soooo mcuh trouble (okay, not really) to generate for your guys' amusement?  Especially considering the fact that Robert Plant would probably himself be very amused by it, given his obsession with everything Tolkien-related? :p

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #19,878 of 29,635
  Nobody's gonna comment on that meme I went through soooo mcuh trouble (okay, not really) to generate for your guys' amusement?  Especially considering the fact that Robert Plant would probably himself be very amused by it, given his obsession with everything Tolkien-related? :p

I've expended at least a thousand times more effort into creating images and sharing them on this site. (All are linked on my profile.) Ya gotta work harder if ya want recognition!
biggrin.gif

So what metal bands do you like?

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #19,879 of 29,635

I've expended at least a thousand times more effort into creating images and sharing them on this site. (All are linked on my profile.) Ya gotta work harder if ya want recognition!
biggrin.gif

So what metal bands do you like?

It was sarcasm, sir, SARCASM.  I  spent like all of thirty seconds on memegenerator.com to make that image.  Lol.  You gotta admit it was clever though :p

I like old school metal more mostly, back when it was still basically just an offshoot of hard rock/classic rock.  Black Sabbath and Ozzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC if yhou want to consider it sort-of metal, etc.  I do like Slayer a lot though :p

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #19,880 of 29,635
  It was sarcasm, sir, SARCASM.  I  spent like all of thirty seconds on memegenerator.com to make that image.  Lol.  You gotta admit it was clever though :p

I like old school metal more mostly, back when it was still basically just an offshoot of hard rock/classic rock.  Black Sabbath and Ozzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC if yhou want to consider it sort-of metal, etc.  I do like Slayer a lot though :p

Well, you did say "not really", hehe.

You should get into the extreme stuff too! I'm much more into modern extreme metal than the old classics.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #19,881 of 29,635

Well, you did say "not really", hehe.

You should get into the extreme stuff too! I'm much more into modern extreme metal than the old classics.

Mehhhh, the way they do the vocals in extreme death-metal and stuff just tends to not really float my boat, most of the time :-/  I'm pretty much a bona-fide hardcore classic-rock dude (stuff like Zeppelin, Hendrix, the Doors, Cream, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Aerosmith, AC/DC etc.), more than I am a fan of any other kind of music, although I do listen to things ranging from oldschool acoustic delta blues to Bach and Mozart.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #19,882 of 29,635
  Mehhhh, the way they do the vocals in extreme death-metal and stuff just tends to not really float my boat, most of the time :-/  I'm pretty much a bona-fide hardcore classic-rock dude (stuff like Zeppelin, Hendrix, the Doors, Cream, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Aerosmith, AC/DC etc.), more than I am a fan of any other kind of music, although I do listen to things ranging from oldschool acoustic delta blues to Bach and Mozart.

So you don't like deep grunts...what about the higher-pitched screams of black metal?

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #19,883 of 29,635

So you don't like deep grunts...what about the higher-pitched screams of black metal?

I don't like vocals that sound like the Howler Monkeys at the zoo (the former that you mentioned), nor do I much care for vocals that sound like someone trying to break glass with their voice (the latter), lolol.  About the highest-pitched vocals I can really get into in metal is something like what you hear in Iron Maiden's or some of Judas Priest's songs.

At this point I don't really feel much need to try out listening to new music.  I've listened to a lot of music at this point and have generally figured out what I do and don't like.  My digital music library is about 115gb in size, and the majority of it is in 16/44.1.  Lol.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #19,884 of 29,635
  I don't like vocals that sound like the Howler Monkeys at the zoo (the former that you mentioned), nor do I much care for vocals that sound like someone trying to break glass with their voice (the latter), lolol.  About the highest-pitched vocals I can really get into in metal is something like what you hear in Iron Maiden's or some of Judas Priest's songs.

At this point I don't really feel much need to try out listening to new music.  I've listened to a lot of music at this point and have generally figured out what I do and don't like.  My digital music library is about 115gb in size, and the majority of it is in 16/44.1.  Lol.

That just motivates me more to find some extreme metal for you that you would like.
evil_smiley.gif
(I have a gigantic collection.)

Some extreme metal bands cover songs by the old bands. You may like those, if not anything else.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #19,885 of 29,635

That just motivates me more to find some extreme metal for you that you would like.
evil_smiley.gif
(I have a gigantic collection.)

Some extreme metal bands cover songs by the old bands. You may like those, if not anything else.

...that you looooove mentioning.

Why would he? Don't start with stuff like Six Feet Under's Graveyard Classics.

Too damn hot outside.
Iced tea and Moonsorrow makes it bearable.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #19,886 of 29,635
  ...that you looooove mentioning.

Why would he? Don't start with stuff like Six Feet Under's Graveyard Classics.

Too damn hot outside.
Iced tea and Moonsorrow makes it bearable.

My point was that I'm familiar with lots of extreme metal bands and may be able to find some that he would like.

Some of the covers aren't that much more extreme than the original versions.

Ya, I'm not liking the heat. The storms are great, though! I also had some tea.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #19,887 of 29,635

Whoa, you dug up a post from like six years ago! Impressive.

His last post was in 2011, though, so he probably won't reply to you.

I've heard some SYL and Devin albums, but not all of them yet.

Ha, whoops. I think I was a bit confused as to where in the thread I was when I saw/responded to that post.

What have you listened to of Dev's?

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #19,888 of 29,635
I read rumors that Vektor might put out a new album this year. About time!

Also saw this:

"Dark Descent posted on FB that Horrendous is in studio now and should have the new album out in October."

I didn't check the dark descent FB, but Horrendous said they are recording on their FB so it's probably legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back