Lets Talk Metal
Jun 4, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #19,291 of 29,665
Well, I don't want to start a dispute about how caffeine is a very much a drug, and is considerably addictive and seems to be binged on these days, so I'll say no more.

Regardless, my (extreme/illicit) drug taking days are past me, I now only take what is prescribed. I'm sure we all listen to music for a calming/centring effect (even metal) on occasion and if I'm feeling particularly anxious, then the combination is perfect for even the worst anxiety.

Yeah, I was referring to extreme/illegal drugs, and also pills in general.

But I don't want to be calmed; I want to be energized! That's why I use energy drinks.
wink.gif

(Who wants to be calmed while listening to extreme metal anyway?)

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #19,294 of 29,665
We all know heavy metal is the gateway to toothless 21 year old girls that really should have listened to their parents. Somehow it rides the edge of all that is danger and fun. Only the smart and humble that take a sure footing are able to traverse the valley in one piece.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #19,297 of 29,665
Strong emotions are better invoked and more clearly perceived from a calm state of mind for me, and that can be any emotion. It's ultimately disposition dependant.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't see how it's possible to feel strong emotions while being calm and relaxed. I'm talking really strong here, not just mild anger or sorrow or whatever.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #19,298 of 29,665
We all know heavy metal is the gateway to toothless 21 year old girls that really should have listened to their parents. Somehow it rides the edge of all that is danger and fun. Only the smart and humble that take a sure footing are able to traverse the valley in one piece.

There is, however, a difference between safely traversing a valley and retracing one's past steps.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #19,301 of 29,665
I don't see how it's possible to feel strong emotions while being calm and relaxed. I'm talking really strong here, not just mild anger or sorrow or whatever.

Well, like I said, it ultimately depends on the person. No two minds are alike and being giddy on stimulants is only going to make me excitable, edgy and inattentive. Think of it as a signal-to-noise ratio for me, a calm mind is a dark noise floor. :)

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #19,302 of 29,665
Well, like I said, it ultimately depends on the person. No two minds are alike and being giddy on stimulants is only going to make me excitable, edgy and inattentive. Think of it as a signal-to-noise ratio for me, a calm mind is a dark noise floor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well yeah, without being jacked up on chemicals, your mind is naturally more calm. But I was referring only to the extremity of emotions. I can't be extremely angry and calm at the same time, for example. I can feel mild emotions while calm, but strong emotions and calmness are mutually exclusive, at least for me. When I use something like an energy drink in conjunction with extreme metal, it's to help me become the music, so to speak. I use all the anger, sorrow, and general awesomeness in the music combined with getting high from the chemicals to make myself happy. It's a cathartic process. haha. The mental, emotional, and physical reaction is nowhere near as stimulating with the music alone.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #19,303 of 29,665

You don't like feeling amazing instead? You don't enjoy being passionate and feeling strong emotions?
biggrin.gif

Yes and I hate fun.

Strong emotions are better invoked and more clearly perceived from a calm state of mind for me, and that can be any emotion. It's ultimately disposition dependant.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, like I said, it ultimately depends on the person. No two minds are alike and being giddy on stimulants is only going to make me excitable, edgy and inattentive. Think of it as a signal-to-noise ratio for me, a calm mind is a dark noise floor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Could not have said it better.
I enjoy my music at home and live it at concerts. Easy as that. No need to resort to chemicals to get the most out of it.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #19,304 of 29,665

I can't be extremely angry and calm at the same time, for example. I can feel mild emotions while calm, but strong emotions and calmness are mutually exclusive, at least for me.

You might be mixing up experiencing emotions and perceiving emotions. I mean, I wouldn't want to ever actually feel extremely angry. Listening to a song with a clear mind allows you to better perceive the emotions it's portraying, like any nuance in the music. It sound like you and KritiKal are talking about two different things.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #19,305 of 29,665
Maybe it's like dog vs cat people. I guess two types-people who liked to get jacked up-caffeine and the extreme would be meth and cocaine addicts and people that like to be mellowed or sedated. Alcohol and narcotics?  I can handle a little of both
beerchug.gif

But, only in moderation. Good coffee in the morning and a nice IPA at night and I'm good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back