Lets Talk Metal
Jun 3, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #19,276 of 29,687
Agreed. Vocals are really good too. However, I don't really like Leprous as much as I want to. Dont know why :frowning2:

I (think I) know what you mean. I find that there are some of their songs that I just can't get in to, while the rest I absolutely adore. Their latest album is more solid though and after a couple of listens there's not much not to love. Leprous seem to be the only band that I skip songs with, but the rest of their albums really hit the mark. There's a certain elegance in their style of sophisticated simplicity.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #19,278 of 29,687
So, there was a discussion a few pages back about how people listen to music. Digital vs CD and playlists. I have these various playlists I go back to and change and edit. And, then stacks of CDs in kind of loose rotation. Like metal from 2014-15 (basically recent purchases), then another stack of slightly older metal-favorites from say 2012-13, then recent non metal from the last couple of years which is mostly indie rock/electronic/ambient and some classic rock and jazz (went on a jazz collection binge a little while back putting together a small jazz music library).

I haven't bought that much metal this year, so I've been listening to a fair amount of 2014-some15 metal.

Going for a best metal songs over the past two years kind of vibe, I listened to Nux Vomica tonight and I love this EP. Such a good  blend of styles-black/crust/thrash/hardcore/post rock-pretty seamless. A lot of what I love in modern metal is in this song:

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #19,279 of 29,687
I have been playing around with headphone perception. I have spent almost $500 on a collection of low cost headphones and for fun burning them in and trying them in different amp source combos.
The drinks do different things at different times to different headphones. I have named the process the vodka and orange juice mod.

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #19,281 of 29,687
Does anyone have the new Veil of Maya album? I just found out about it and the opening track is insane! I wasn't really a fan of VoM before but if the YouTube vids are any indication, I might have to actually pick up a copy of this album, it sounds awesome!

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #19,282 of 29,687
I have been playing around with headphone perception. I have spent almost $500 on a collection of low cost headphones and for fun burning them in and trying them in different amp source combos.
The drinks do different things at different times to different headphones. I have named the process the vodka and orange juice mod.

Nice. I added up the total value of all the headphones I've bought and it's like $5,000. (That's not actual price paid, though; just original MSRPs.) I too experiment with how various liquid substances influence my perception of sound. It's more of a full-body response, though, where the music and chemicals work together to make me feel amazing...among other things.

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #19,283 of 29,687
Nice. I added up the total value of all the headphones I've bought and it's like $5,000. (That's not actual price paid, though; just original MSRPs.) I too experiment with how various liquid substances influence my perception of sound. It's more of a full-body response, though, where the music and chemicals work together to make me feel amazing...among other things.

Benzo's work better. :wink:

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #19,284 of 29,687

I am taking this a just a form of entertainment still also serious. I have listened to the HD 800 with a $80,000 system pushing it. I maybe would say it was 3% from perfect. Still I only heard Dark Side Of The Moon, so what do I know? I do know I could not totally listen to it because the price was bugging me.

I do know one thing. There is no perfect system out there. So I'm not looking for that. I also have heard expensive Stax systems and I think they were missing some slam, though maybe perfect for classical. I love my main system but it can be too critical with less than perfect recordings.

My question is "how is it that many audiophiles are walking around happy with Koss Portapros and use them for years?" My answer, I think is they don't do much wrong.

That's my conclution, find headphones which don't do much wrong at an enjoyable price and find out if I can live with them. The soundstage is a 3% smaller, the bass could be missing by 5% but nothing is there at times that really bugs me?

Also low cost headphones can be easy to wear because they are light weight. In the end I may just go back to my reference AHD 7000s and call it a day? Still I will have a bunch of headphones to use. I still don't think happiness in this hobby is determined on how much money you throw at it.

Both you and I are on a learning curve. We are out to find something. You listened to $5000 worth of headphones and are still searching. My only advice is that your source and amp could be changed to bring one of those headphones closer to what your looking for. I used to be just like you and would know in 15 minutes if a headphone would work or be close? I don't know anymore?

I do know that color can confuse me, an ample amount of uphonic color can twist my emotions and have me liking a set of headphones only to be let down three weeks later. I also know I can enjoy a portable rig with low cost headphones if the music is right and I'm walking around.

What I hate is spending huge amounts of money only to find out nothing is still closer to my goals. I think only headphones may be like this as my friends with speaker rigs are way more content?

I don't drink that often but I am using it as a tool to try and confuse my condescending views of cheap headphones.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #19,285 of 29,687
  Does anyone have the new Veil of Maya album? I just found out about it and the opening track is insane! I wasn't really a fan of VoM before but if the YouTube vids are any indication, I might have to actually pick up a copy of this album, it sounds awesome!

I listened to it and liked one song in particular. A few pages back, I had pointed out that they have changed. I Liked the clean vocal introduction but feel they have become core-heavy which kind of gets boring after repeated listens.

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #19,287 of 29,687
I don't have that, it pretty good! It really does mashup a lot of different styles
Thanks for the rec

I can't believe I have something you've never heard (LOL!) The whole thing is really good-just 3 songs ranging from about 10 minutes to 19.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #19,289 of 29,687
Benzo's work better.
wink.gif

No drugs for me, thanks. I only use energy drinks and soda.

I am taking this a just a form of entertainment still also serious. I have listened to the HD 800 with a $80,000 system pushing it. I maybe would say it was 3% from perfect. Still I only heard Dark Side Of The Moon, so what do I know? I do know I could not totally listen to it because the price was bugging me.

I do know one thing. There is no perfect system out there. So I'm not looking for that. I also have heard expensive Stax systems and I think they were missing some slam, though maybe perfect for classical. I love my main system but it can be too critical with less than perfect recordings.

My question is "how is it that many audiophiles are walking around happy with Koss Portapros and use them for years?" My answer, I think is they don't do much wrong.

That's my conclution, find headphones which don't do much wrong at an enjoyable price and find out if I can live with them. The soundstage is a 3% smaller, the bass could be missing by 5% but nothing is there at times that really bugs me?

Also low cost headphones can be easy to wear because they are light weight. In the end I may just go back to my reference AHD 7000s and call it a day? Still I will have a bunch of headphones to use. I still don't think happiness in this hobby is determined on how much money you throw at it.

Both you and I are on a learning curve. We are out to find something. You listened to $5000 worth of headphones and are still searching. My only advice is that your source and amp could be changed to bring one of those headphones closer to what your looking for. I used to be just like you and would know in 15 minutes if a headphone would work or be close? I don't know anymore?

I do know that color can confuse me, an ample amount of uphonic color can twist my emotions and have me liking a set of headphones only to be let down three weeks later. I also know I can enjoy a portable rig with low cost headphones if the music is right and I'm walking around.

What I hate is spending huge amounts of money only to find out nothing is still closer to my goals. I think only headphones may be like this as my friends with speaker rigs are way more content?

I don't drink that often but I am using it as a tool to try and confuse my condescending views of cheap headphones.

Can you list the gear that was in that $80,000 system? The HD 800 is fairly easy to drive. Even a $99 amp has more than enough power for it. I know that's not the issue, though. According to the most experienced audiophiles, the quality and design of an amp is more important than sheer output power.

Which electrostatic systems did you hear? (Headphones, amp, etc.) The sound of electrostatic headphones depends more on the amp you use. The better amps have plenty of slam, at least with the STAX SR-009. However, I plan on using the JVC HA-SZ2000 for my bass slam (etc.) needs, since it is said to be the ultimate basshead headphone (basically has a woofer and tweeter on both sides), especially when you boost the bass with EQ and use aftermarket pads and an amp. And it only costs around $200!

That reminds me, I need to add the Koss PortaPro to my wish list. Look at the huge wish list on my profile. I am interested in all sorts of headphones, from $20 to over $10,000. (The lowest offer I got for the rare Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 was $10K. Other owners wanted even more for it.)

Although I am interested in high-end amps and DACs, they are nowhere near as important as the headphones. If I don't like the headphones from a neutral amp and DAC, then I am not interested in keeping the headphones. My philosophy is to use neutral amps and DACs, then tweak the sound with a parametric equalizer and other software, preferably for free. It makes no sense to me to spend thousands of dollars on a colored amp or DAC that is essentially an overpriced EQ device with only one EQ setting. I am willing to make an exception for electrostatic amps, including ones with tubes, since those are far more complicated to make than conventional ones.

Speaking of... I found the most amazing software yesterday that has calibration profiles for a handful of headphones. All you have to do is install and activate it to make those headphones sound much, much more accurate. It made my Sony MDR-7506 go from sounding extremely bright and harsh to much more natural and realistic. There's a free 21 day trial too. If you want to calibrate headphones not included in the default settings, you would have to send them in for a custom calibration. They use a proprietary compensation curve that seems to be between the Harman curve and flat speaker curve.

http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

I rarely ever drink alcohol. I don't even enjoy it most of the time, though I do like fruity drinks, including stronger ones, as long as they taste fruity enough. Can't stand tequila or normal beer.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #19,290 of 29,687
No drugs for me, thanks. I only use energy drinks and soda.

Well, I don't want to start a dispute about how caffeine is a very much a drug, and is considerably addictive and seems to be binged on these days, so I'll say no more.

Regardless, my (extreme/illicit) drug taking days are past me, I now only take what is prescribed. I'm sure we all listen to music for a calming/centring effect (even metal) on occasion and if I'm feeling particularly anxious, then the combination is perfect for even the worst anxiety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back