Lets Talk Metal
Jun 4, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #19,306 of 29,676
No need to resort to chemicals to get the most out of it.

You guys are so lucky. Without my energy drinks or soda, I'm pretty bored when listening to music. I need to feel the chemical reactions in my body and brain!

You might be mixing up experiencing emotions and perceiving emotions. I mean, I wouldn't want to ever actually feel extremely angry. Listening to a song with a clear mind allows you to better perceive the emotions it's portraying, like any nuance in the music. It sound like you and KritiKal are talking about two different things.

Feeling is experiencing. Perceiving is merely thinking about it instead of actually feeling it.

Extreme metal is aggressive and has lots of anger. You best feel that anger when you are angry and aggressive yourself.

If you want to intellectually ponder things, that's an entirely different story, separate from being passionate and feeling emotions.

At any rate, energy drinks make me much more alert and energized, even though they cause many health problems. Without getting my fix, my mind isn't as clear. Such is the life of an addict...

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #19,307 of 29,676
Well, I don't want to start a dispute about how caffeine is a very much a drug, and is considerably addictive and seems to be binged on these days, so I'll say no more.

Regardless, my (extreme/illicit) drug taking days are past me, I now only take what is prescribed. I'm sure we all listen to music for a calming/centring effect (even metal) on occasion and if I'm feeling particularly anxious, then the combination is perfect for even the worst anxiety.

Honestly, caffeine is just bad for your kidneys, and you need to drink a ton for a long while for it to have an effect. Also, there are many more bad life habits that can have even more of an effect on kidneys, like eating too much salt.

You guys are so lucky. Without my energy drinks or soda, I'm pretty bored when listening to music. I need to feel the chemical reactions in my body and brain!

Feeling is experiencing. Perceiving is merely thinking about it instead of actually feeling it.

Extreme metal is aggressive and has lots of anger. You best feel that anger when you are angry and aggressive yourself.

If you want to intellectually ponder things, that's an entirely different story, separate from being passionate and feeling emotions.

At any rate, energy drinks make me much more alert and energized, even though they cause many health problems. Without getting my fix, my mind isn't as clear. Such is the life of an addict...

Energy drinks, on the other hand, **** your kindeys much more and also makes your liver work more to digest all those B vitamins and the taurine. I'd say it isn't as bad as people say it is, but try to soften up.

Problem is, you try to live everything at 100%, always intense, always for the thrill. Although it isn't really a problem, it's hard to appreciate and fully live a stimulation if you try to be in constant stimulation. As for an example, play a very addictive video game for 2 hours (before you get tired of it) and then go read a book. You'll find yourself having much trouble to be as stimulated by the book after it and therefore you won't be as attentive.

If everything is exciting, nothing is. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #19,308 of 29,676
  Honestly, caffeine is just bad for your kidneys, and you need to drink a ton for a long while for it to have an effect. Also, there are many more bad life habits that can have even more of an effect on kidneys, like eating too much salt.

Energy drinks, on the other hand, **** your kindeys much more and also makes your liver work more to digest all those B vitamins and the taurine. I'd say it isn't as bad as people say it is, but try to soften up.

Problem is, you try to live everything at 100%, always intense, always for the thrill. Although it isn't really a problem, it's hard to appreciate and fully live a stimulation if you try to be in constant stimulation. As for an example, play a very addictive video game for 2 hours (before you get tired of it) and then go read a book. You'll find yourself having much trouble to be as stimulated by the book after it and therefore you won't be as attentive.

If everything is exciting, nothing is. 

Who said anything about seeking constant stimulation? Certainly not me. I usually only drink one soda or energy drink per day, while listening to music. (That's after I have eaten enough.) That listening session typically lasts one to four hours. Then I go do other things.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #19,309 of 29,676

Who said anything about seeking constant stimulation? Certainly not me. I usually only drink one soda or energy drink per day, while listening to music. (That's after I have eaten enough.) That listening session typically lasts one to four hours. Then I go do other things.

Oh well, it did sound more extreme than that. Maybe the words "addict" and stuff. I expected something like 6 cans a day and more and the constant lookout for stimulation (which is quite common amongst metalhead tbh).

In any case, sorry.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #19,310 of 29,676
  Oh well, it did sound more extreme than that. Maybe the words "addict" and stuff. I expected something like 6 cans a day and more.

Haha, no, that would probably kill me! Only a mild addiction. The most I drink are two a day, and that's only if I'm feeling especially tired later in the day. Usually just one 16.9 ounce bottle of soda a day. I never, ever drink more than one energy drink in a day. That stuff is dangerous! (And expensive.)

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #19,311 of 29,676
  Does anyone have the new Veil of Maya album? I just found out about it and the opening track is insane! I wasn't really a fan of VoM before but if the YouTube vids are any indication, I might have to actually pick up a copy of this album, it sounds awesome!

Doesn't sound like they've changed a bit since I saw them like 8-9 years ago. They sure do love breakdowns...

I think my biggest issue with VoM is their guitar tone has to be so dry and boring to cleanly replicate their playing. Talented guitarists for sure though.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #19,312 of 29,676
I posted this in the other thread, but find it to be pertinent here:

To anyone who owns any of these headphones:

1. AKG K141 MKII
  2. AKG K240 Studio
  3. AKG K701
  4. AKG K702
  5. AKG K712
  6. Audio-Technica M20x
  7. Audio-Technica M40x
  8. Audio-Technica M50x
  9. Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm
  10. Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
  11. Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
  12. Sennheiser HD280
  13. Sennheiser HD598
  14. Sennheiser HD600
  15. Sennheiser HD650
  16. Shure SRH840
  17. Sony MDR7506
  18. Superlux HD681

Try the free trial of this software and report the improvements you hear!

http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

You can use this tutorial to get it to work with foobar2000.

Makes my Sony sound so much better it's unbelievable. (Like going from extremely bright and harsh to natural and realistic.) Gonna try it with the M50x tomorrow.

Update your signature and profile, bro!
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #19,313 of 29,676

Update your signature and profile, bro!
biggrin.gif

Totally forgot! Loving the HE-400i soo much. Kind of hard to justify keeping the HE-400 around but there's a couple albums where it just performs perfectly. Listening to my favorite Bongripper LP (sadly only have SWDM and Miserable on vinyl) on the 400i currently:

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #19,314 of 29,676

Totally forgot! Loving the HE-400i soo much. Kind of hard to justify keeping the HE-400 around but there's a couple albums where it just performs perfectly. Listening to my favorite Bongripper LP (sadly only have SWDM and Miserable on vinyl) on the 400i currently:

LoL, read my YouTube comments on that album. It is seriously lacking low end. I love it, but it just doesn't rumble. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #19,315 of 29,676
  LoL, read my YouTube comments on that album. It is seriously lacking low end. I love it, but it just doesn't rumble. 

Oh yeah did we discuss this earlier in this thread?! I think it's a little bit better on vinyl but yeah the initial attack of the guitars feels just a bit neutered in the low end and the bass isn't mixed high enough.

I still need to figure out what cable I need but I'll try ripping the vinyl version of it for you soon so you can compare. Neither version is quite there though in my opinion.

Also I generally like to be stoned and mellow no matter what music I'm listening to, and mixing metal and lsd is also super interesting but probably not what the mods want us discussing here.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #19,316 of 29,676

lol @ the album title. XD

Are you familiar with Invader Zim? If so, this is even more amusing.

My newest headphone is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBL. (Limited edition with blue and orange/beige color scheme. Link!) Will have it tomorrow.

Oh man, that reminds me. Listen to "Winter Bliss" by Demoncy. With the Yamaha HPH-MT220 on high volume, that song rattled my skull!

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #19,318 of 29,676

You make it sound like you have ADHD or something like this.

Why would I want to feel angry? Being angry sucks. Anger is never a good thing.

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #19,319 of 29,676
  Why would I want to feel angry? Being angry sucks. Anger is never a good thing.

I take it you never compose metal music of your own, then. Most metal has a good amount of anger and/or aggression in it. Anyway, I guess I'm just a much more passionate person. I see the value in experiencing all emotions. Righteous anger is a good thing!

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #19,320 of 29,676

I take it you never compose metal music of your own, then.
Most metal has a good amount of anger and/or aggression in it.
Anyway, I guess I'm just a much more passionate person.
I see the value in experiencing all emotions.
Righteous anger is a good thing!

No, I haven't.
I'm fully aware of that.
Looks like you are.
So do I.
Whether something is righteous or not is highly subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back