Lets Talk Metal
Apr 20, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #18,422 of 29,646
People always talking about what is metal and what is not. Like metal is an adjective. As in, that is so metal. Just like people might say that is cool, gay, insane, sick, awesome, stupid, or whatever.

That is so metal. So what's metal? I think it basically means bad ass.

How about blackwater park? That's pretty metal, huh? This past weekend as a kayak instructor and tour guide I helped lead two days of tours. Guess where? Blackwater Park, of course. Actually Blackwater National Refuge in MD. Each tour was four hours of on the water instruction. We had crazy wind that created wind waves and white caps.  I think that's metal.

So what is BNR? It's a 2800 acre national park refuge for nearly 300 species migrating birds. Also the home of the rarely seen and endangered Delmarva squirrel, Sika deer, fox, muskrats and a particularly nasty  invasive species of South American rodent called the Nutria which nearly took over the whole dang place and is now being trapped to save the area. It contains 1/3 of Maryland's wetlands. And, we have the Chesapeake bay which is a schhiiit ton of wetlands.

It's part of a the so called Bird flyzone which is basically protected areas that migrating birds use as they migrate from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. The big appeal is a very large number of eagles. But also a major stop for Canadian geese, all kinds of ducks, the mighty Osprey (sea hawk baby), great herons, and on and on. 

Stop. Birds. Not so metal. Well, you got the album nighttime birds. Also, it's the second largest home of breeding eagles second to Florida. Sometimes called the Everglades of the north. We saw an insane number of massive eagles flying and Osprey. Diving down from amazing heights into the water hunting fish. Just think, when you can barely distinguish a bird of prey in the sky, it can see the tiny movement of a mouse or fish in the water.  

Birds of prey. Hunters of the sky. The top of the food chain. Killers.

And epic scenery. That's pretty metal. Maybe power metal, but metal.

Sunday was dark and overcast. If felt, oh, IDK, kind of like an Opeth album.

Guess what I'm listening to today in honor of the refuge. Blackwater Park of course!

I wonder how many Blackwater parks there are in the world?  Here's one that's maybe kind of metal
evil_smiley.gif

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Blackwater/about.html

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #18,423 of 29,646
justin bieber is my favorite black metal band

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #18,424 of 29,646

Not only is there the question of metal or not, there is the question of good metal or not. I'm hoping they get it right this time. The last two albums have not been that great.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #18,426 of 29,646
Not only is there the question of metal or not, there is the question of good metal or not. I'm hoping they get it right this time. The last two albums have not been that great.

Nice. I own most of their albums, so I always give them another chance.

Blackwater Park, awesome 70's proto metal band. Surprised someone even knows them, think they were from Germany or something.....but their Dirt Box album rules!

Blackwater Park is an Opeth album. I had no idea it was also a band.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #18,427 of 29,646
Which is better - the original master of Damage Done or the remaster? I tried to find differences between the two versions... I only found out that the remaster has 6 dr and the original 7. But I dont really want to buy the wrong version. Can you guys help me out here?

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #18,428 of 29,646
Which is better - the original master of Damage Done or the remaster? I tried to find differences between the two versions... I only found out that the remaster has 6 dr and the original 7. But I dont really want to buy the wrong version. Can you guys help me out here?

I prefer the original. The remaster sounds a bit more engaging, though. If you really love the album, just buy both. ^_^

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #18,429 of 29,646

Blackwater Park is an Opeth album. I had no idea it was also a band.

Yes, awesome band from the early 70's, very heavy. Dirt Box is on youtube, check them out!

I can see why Opeth would be influenced by them, as their later albums, I MUCH prefer to the terrible vocals on the earlier ones. Opeth is a GREAT band though, just did NOT care for the growling vocal style early on....

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #18,431 of 29,646

So I take it you're not much into death metal and black metal then.

Well, I am into some death metal like early Entombed, Grave, Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Death, Possessed, etc.

As far as black metal, I like Bathory, Beherit, old Impaled Nazarene, Dark Throne, Mayhem, etc. After about 1996, I think it just got to convoluted, so I stick with what I grew up on.

Not to say I think it all sucks, just not familiar.

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #18,432 of 29,646
  Well, I am into some death metal like early Entombed, Grave, Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Death, Possessed, etc.

As far as black metal, I like Bathory, Beherit, old Impaled Nazarene, Dark Throne, Mayhem, etc. After about 1996, I think it just got to convoluted, so I stick with what I grew up on.

Not to say I think it all sucks, just not familiar.

Well, this thread has tonnns of great death metal and black metal. Here is an old post with a list of many of the metal bands I like:

At least half of what I listen to is metal - including just about every sub-genre and related genre. My favorites are melodic death metal and black metal.

Since I'm new to the thread, here is a list of many of the metal bands I like.

Although it contains mostly extreme metal bands, there are also a few hard rock / alternative metal type of bands that may not qualify as "true" metal. You can click on each band's name to learn more about them.

Abigor, Absu, Agalloch, AgathodaimonAgoraphobic Nosebleed, Ajattara, Akercocke, Alas, Amestigon, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, And Oceans, Anorexia Nervosa, Antaeus, Aosoth, Arch Enemy, Arcturus, Astrofaes, At The Gates, Averse Sefira, Azrael, Bathory, Behemoth, Borknagar, Burzum, Children Of Bodom, Chimaira, Converge, Cradle Of Filth, Cryptopsy, Dark Fortress, Dark Funeral, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Deftones, Demoncy, DHG (Dødheimsgard), The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimension F3H, Dimension Zero, Dimensional Psychosis, Dimmu Borgir, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Dominion III, Dragonlord, Drudkh, Emperor, Enslaved, Esoteric, Evergrey, Extol, Fear Factory, Folkearth, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, Gardenian, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Green Carnation, Grimmdrasil, Haemoth, Harvist, Hate Forest, Heaven Shall Burn, Heidenreich, Hordes Of The Lunar Eclipse, Horna, Ill Niño, Ihsahn, Ildjarn, Immolation, Immortal, In Flames, InMe, Jesu, Judas Iscariot, Kalmah, Katatonia, Katharsis, Killswitch Engage, Korpiklaani, Krieg, The Kovenant, Kroda, Lacrimas Profundere, Lacuna Coil, Lamb Of God, Lengsel, Leviathan, Lifelover, Limbonic Art, Living Sacrifice, Lucifugum, Lunaris, Lurker Of Chalice, Månegarm, Marduk, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Moonspell, Morbid Angel, N.I.L., Nachtmystium, Naglfar, Nasum, Negură Bunget, Neurosis, Nevermore, Nightrage, Nile, Nokturnal Mortum, Old Man's Child, Opeth, P.O.D., Pantera, Papa Roach, Passenger, Rob Zombie, Rotting Christ, Samael, Satyricon, Sauron, Secrets Of The Moon, Shadows Fall, Shining, Silencer, Sirius, Six Feet Under, Slayer, Slipknot, Soilwork, Stabbing Westward, Staind, Static-X, Strapping Young Lad, Summoning, Susperia, Tidfall, Today Is The Day, Tristania, Twilight, Ulver, Underoath, Vital Remains, Watain, Weakling, Woods Of Ypres, Xasthur, Zao, Zyklon

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #18,434 of 29,646
Great news!

Dead to a Dying World – Litany CD/2LP
Coming this August is the new full-length from genre-crossing Texas septet Dead to a Dying World entitled Litany. Since their last release in 2011, DtaDW have been tirelessly crafting an incredibly ambitious album that traverses many musical realms and showcases the band’s tremendous creative spirit. Litany manages to strike a delicate balance. It is as cathartic and beautiful as it is oppressively destructive.
It’s safe to say this will be a release unlike anything Gilead Media has been a part of, and I can’t wait to share it with you.
Litany was produced by Billy Anderson, and features guest performances from members of Pallbearer, Sabbath Assembly, and Pinkish Black. The 2LP will be a joint release alongside Tofu Carnage Records in the US and Alerta Antifascista Records in Europe, while the CD will be handled solely by Gilead Media. More details forthcoming. Pre-orders will begin mid to late June, with an expected release date in August.

Their first album is really worth checking out!
I love these hillbilly ****s ♥

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #18,435 of 29,646

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/21/metallica-kirk-hammett-loses-iphone-containing-250-new-guitar-riffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back