Lets Talk Metal
Sep 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #16,486 of 29,662
I stand by my comments. I don't care how much you have listened to or how much I have. There is SO MUCH out there. I guarantee one of the guys in here will recommend something and you will have that "Wow" moment. Mark my words. :D

I second that. Though I just started to listen to metal a few years ago, I covered most of the well known and not so well known bands. Just started listening to two bands I've been neglecting over the years. Behemoth and machine head are two amazing bands, and provided that well needed wow moment you're talking about xD

Though imo metal music has been declining in quality over the years. There are still a lot of great new and old bands, but the most popular new bands seem to be leading mainly towards metalcore

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #16,487 of 29,662
I second that. Though I just started to listen to metal a few years ago, I covered most of the well known and not so well known bands. Just started listening to two bands I've been neglecting over the years. Behemoth and machine head are two amazing bands, and provided that well needed wow moment you're talking about xD

Though imo metal music has been declining in quality over the years. There are still a lot of great new and old bands, but the most popular new bands seem to be leading mainly towards metalcore

Man, there is just so much going on in the Stoner/Doom/Drone genres that I can't agree totally with that.

But in my experience, real metal never really had much to do with popular.  Back in the days when Quiet Riot, Cinderella and Motely Crue were considered 'metal', Celtic Frost, Bathory, and Mercyful Fate were bubbling in the background.

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #16,488 of 29,662
Man, there is just so much going on in the Stoner/Doom/Drone genres that I can't agree totally with that.

But in my experience, real metal never really had much to do with popular.  Back in the days when Quiet Riot, Cinderella and Motely Crue were considered 'metal', Celtic Frost, Bathory, and Mercyful Fate were bubbling in the background.

Not really much into doom/stoner except for sabbath and electric wizard. Not sure what's new in those genres ATM. Got any reccomendations?

I guess I meant what's popular with "metal" fans. Metal core is real **** imo, just a bunch of kids who think metal is all screamo. Only a few metal bands actually nail metal core.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #16,489 of 29,662
Not really much into doom/stoner except for sabbath and electric wizard. Not sure what's new in those genres ATM. Got any reccomendations?

I guess I meant what's popular with "metal" fans. Metal core is real **** imo, just a bunch of kids who think metal is all screamo. Only a few metal bands actually nail metal core.

The two bands that I am most interested in over the past couple of years are Orchid and Elder.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #16,490 of 29,662
I stand by my comments. I don't care how much you have listened to or how much I have. There is SO MUCH out there. I guarantee one of the guys in here will recommend something and you will have that "Wow" moment. Mark my words.
biggrin.gif

That's inevitable, but I was responding to the "forget about your favorite band" comments, as if my tastes are inferior or something. I love all sorts of metal, but will never forget In Flames.
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #16,491 of 29,662
  8-track or cassette?

The first album I bought was Vol. 4, in about 1975.  The first 8-track was Master of Reality.  I can still hear the tracks change when I listen to it...

anyway, I'm glad to finally find this thread.  Way too much time playing with gear!

welcome aboard-its amazing how metal sort of started with sabbath s/t and paranoid -to me thats the absolute zenith

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #16,492 of 29,662
im not a sludge man to be honest but this cd speaks to me-pain hatred or something ?

This is quite possibly one of the hardest records for me to enjoy when I first acquired it-(((not my quote i should add)))
i dont feel good after listening to this but its an experience

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #16,496 of 29,662
  ill check^^^i see you have the px 100-good man

It's a suprisingly good headphone.  Too bad planars are getting easier to drive, even out of a cell phone.  But for the price, it's hard to beat!

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #16,498 of 29,662
I'm not sure at all what's going on with these guys nowadays, but this one from a few years back was pretty awesome.

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #16,499 of 29,662
  8-track or cassette?

The first album I bought was Vol. 4, in about 1975.  The first 8-track was Master of Reality.  I can still hear the tracks change when I listen to it...

anyway, I'm glad to finally find this thread.  Way too much time playing with gear!

It was a funny black and white cassette. I still have an image of seeing it at the store. It may have been a bootleg or a promo. It was in a bubble package with no cassette box. The cardboard back had crazy drawings of guitar players, like a Sabbath toy for kids. Heck I think it may have been marketed next to kids shirts.

Just this cassette with three Sabbath One songs on one side and three Led Zeppelin One songs on the other. At 11 I had no money of my own but remember asking my mom, and to my surprise she purchased it for me. Having only maybe four cassettes I played it all the time. Still Sabbath didn't become my band until hearing Ironman on headphones in 75.

At 13 and hearing Ironman on headphones...........it was a life changing experience. Great times for rock!

I don't totally remember what the songs were, but it had the three song medley from Sabbath One. It started the Zeppelin side with that church organ from "Your time is gonna come" and the lead in was garbled from playing so many times. I know it did not have the song Black Sabbath, as I did not hear that until buying the Vertigo import of that album in 1976. It did not have NIB either as I remember hearing that later for the first time on the Vertigo vinyl.

I still remember buying a cassette of Technical Ecstasy when it came out and thinking it was maybe not as good as the early records, still I loved it being a Sabbath record. 

Never seen them live but have heard Ozzy play the songs at OZZFEST, my brother saw them last year on the tour.

I never had an opinion as to the music being harder or darker than the other music of the day. I just thought the guitar sounded cool. From those early sets of Sabbath records, I only never purchased Sabotage. Never fully connected with that record, even actually getting it later in life.

Looking at the Sabbath gatefold, you could totally tell they were a little bit different from Zeppelin, I do remember thinking, these guys are something else all together. Little did we know that little something was Heavy Metal and the term didn't even start to be used till a full ten years later.

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #16,500 of 29,662
  I think I'm about your brother's age. I would put my first purchases around 77/78. Ouch! I don't even remember the first. But, it would have been generic hard rock and probably wouldn't have even known the term heavy metal.

Most like an AC/DC album up to Let There Be Rock (Power Age, High Voltage, Dirty Deeds) or perhaps, Aersosmith's Draw The Line or Kiss's Love Gun, Double Platinum or possibly Kiss Alive I.

It wasn't metal, but it was better than my percieved alternative-Donna Summers and Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack.

Had I known Motorhead's first album came out in '77, I might have thought I had seen God. But, that discovery wouldn't change my life until a few years later. Motorhead-not God
evil_smiley.gif

We had some great times talking about Ace Of Spades a couple hundred pages back. I didn't learn of that band till 1980. Then it was like What. Really it was very different than early music that high school kids listened to. I don't think many in America knew of them till Ace Of Spades.

And again they had something different about them. They maybe used the term Heavy Metal in England, but we didn't start using the term till the movie came out. Hard rock and metal just melted all together, and Judas Priest was called hard rock and not metal till we knew what the genre was.

Still Ace Of Spades was crazy. My best friend who played it for me in 1980 was just as crazy so it was perfect. Being a mini outlaw as much as a junior in High School could be, my buddy was just like the album, drinking, getting girls knocked up and getting into fights, he was years older than I and could walk in and buy alcohol.LOL

No one had ever heard songs like Ace Of Spades, it was a first, and we were calling all this music Heavy Metal a year later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back