Lets Talk Metal
Sep 14, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #16,502 of 29,670
Re the zep conversation.i find them to be very unique.no one else sounds remotely like them. led zep 4 is just so different to anything.
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #16,503 of 29,670
I guess I meant what's popular with "metal" fans. Metal core is real **** imo, just a bunch of kids who think metal is all screamo. Only a few metal bands actually nail metal core.

Perhaps you haven't heard enough metalcore to have gotten to the good stuff. Mainstream metalcore is pretty awful in my opinion, but there are plenty of quality bands and albums out there. I recommend Zao, Converge, Heaven Shall Burn, Soilwork, and Chimaira. Some of these bands mix in other styles as well.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #16,504 of 29,670
Re the zep conversation.i find them to be very unique.no one else sounds remotely like them. led zep 4 is just so different to anything.:D

Yes, and it is the next to be remastered, and maybe remixed, I think this new stuff is being remixed. Still there are also some great 24/96 copies out made from 45rpm needle drops, if you don't like the different CD copies.

Call me crazy but I have always thought the bass was better on 45rpm vinyl. No one ever told me, I just dicovered from listening. Take a recording and even if digitally recorded the bass can be heard better on a 24/96 of a vinyl 45 rpm.

I just want to hear if they can make Stairway sound different, not sick of that song yet.

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #16,505 of 29,670

No one had ever heard songs like Ace Of Spades, it was a first, and we were calling all this music Heavy Metal a year later.

I got into them real late-college years in the mid 80's. Still, plenty of people reading here weren't born yet 
biggrin.gif

Yeah-sometimes a band just comes and takes different styles and spits them out in unique ways and changes the way you look at music. I felt a division between punk-or what we later would call alternative and metal. At the time, punk felt like this crappy schiit that I hated. Motorhead made me rethink that equation. Or, as someone once remarked to me, punk got heavier and someone mixed peanut butter with chocolate. Maybe that's what people are waiting for today. Something fresh and exciting that makes you rethink what "heavy" music can be. 80's metal just got overdone, overproduced, over everything and we wanted something more extreme, and we got it for sure. Still, something about the NWOBHM and American thrash I'll always love. I got sick of it at the time. Just so much I can listen to. But, the ability to meld heavy metal with melody-those classic albums will always be special to me. But, I have to really be in the mood to hear Number of the Beast, Ride the Lightning or whatever.

I'm just not sure what I'm hearing now, I'll hold in the same esteem in another 30 years-if I'm still around that is!

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #16,506 of 29,670
  Man, there is just so much going on in the Stoner/Doom/Drone genres that I can't agree totally with that.

But in my experience, real metal never really had much to do with popular.  Back in the days when Quiet Riot, Cinderella and Motely Crue were considered 'metal', Celtic Frost, Bathory, and Mercyful Fate were bubbling in the background.

Speaking of which, I just bought Palbearer's Foundations of Burden....hope it's a grower. Kind of underwhelmed first listen compared to say-last year's Subrosa and Windhand. Thought their first one hit a classic doom sweet spot. Hoping to love the new YOB.

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #16,507 of 29,670
Speaking of which, I just bought Palbearer's Foundations of Burden....hope it's a grower. Kind of underwhelmed first listen compared to say-last year's Subrosa and Windhand. Thought their first one hit a classic doom sweet spot. Hoping to love the new YOB.

Gripes. I totally forgot about Windhand!

YOB is hit and miss for me.

Then there's Earthless...

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #16,508 of 29,670
Gripes. I totally forgot about Windhand!

YOB is hit and miss for me.

Then there's Earthless...

I've got Rhythms from a Cosmic Sky. I like it, but the marathon 20 minute jams take some patience. I've just ordered the new Earth, though after streaming it. That's a great record IMO.

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #16,509 of 29,670

I like the new pallbearer, but it's "just" a really well done rock n roll record....fun, but nothing special IMO.

Thanks for the tip on the new Earth....I absolutely adore it....the straight up rock blends so seamlessly with the drone-y doom of old Earth. Fantastic record!

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #16,510 of 29,670
I got into them real late-college years in the mid 80's. Still, plenty of people reading here weren't born yet :D

Yeah-sometimes a band just comes and takes different styles and spits them out in unique ways and changes the way you look at music. I felt a division between punk-or what we later would call alternative and metal. At the time, punk felt like this crappy schiit that I hated. Motorhead made me rethink that equation. Or, as someone once remarked to me, punk got heavier and someone mixed peanut butter with chocolate. Maybe that's what people are waiting for today. Something fresh and exciting that makes you rethink what "heavy" music can be. 80's metal just got overdone, overproduced, over everything and we wanted something more extreme, and we got it for sure. Still, something about the NWOBHM and American thrash I'll always love. I got sick of it at the time. Just so much I can listen to. But, the ability to meld heavy metal with melody-those classic albums will always be special to me. But, I have to really be in the mood to hear Number of the Beast, Ride the Lightning or whatever.

I'm just not sure what I'm hearing now, I'll hold in the same esteem in another 30 years-if I'm still around that is!

Well, the amazing thing was Lemmy was doing these guitar cord bass chords in Hawkwind doing space music right before Motörhead? What?

So it came out of punk and metal. Still Judas Priest never had songs about shooting people in the back? We were truly scared of them as kids.

It would seem a band like that would stay in the underground but they were so good they went to the surface.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #16,511 of 29,670
Some super nice Black Metal! Really worth giving a try.

https://solbrud.bandcamp.com/album/j-rtegn

Man, what a good Black Metal year!

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #16,513 of 29,670
Well, the amazing thing was Lemmy was doing these guitar cord bass chords in Hawkwind doing space music right before Motörhead? What?

So it came out of punk and metal. Still Judas Priest never had songs about shooting people in the back? We were truly scared of them as kids.

It would seem a band like that would stay in the underground but they were so good they went to the surface.

I noticed a poster on the "what are you listeing to now" pages posted that he heard Motorhead 30 years ago and feels that that he's seen 0 improvement in the last three decades. I would not go that far-or I wouldn't be on this thread! But, it speaks to the enduring nature of a handful of bands. We all know who: Motorhead, Zep, Sabbath and The Ramones.....for me at least....and a few hundred others
bigsmile_face.gif

But, God I love looking for the next great thing.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #16,515 of 29,670

At 13 and hearing Ironman on headphones...........it was a life changing experience. Great times for rock!

Oh man, this really takes me back!
My first expetrience was Iron Man, but it was on one of those old portable record players- like this

The guitar freaked me out, but it was Geezer's bass that totally blew my mind.  From that day onward, I've been a bass player.  Not sure why, but guitars, drums, and vocals are nice and all, but it's always been that bass that gets my blood pumping.  LOL, and it's not like the record player was bass-heavy or anything!

I went nuts when I head Iron Maiden for the first time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back