Lets Talk Metal
Sep 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #16,531 of 29,664
Glad you like it. I own everything by them, every CD, every DVD, every box set, all of it. They started to reinvent their sound after The Wretched Spawn, and this album is a continuation of those changes. So far I don't like it as much as the last album but that could change. Angry Metal Guy gave it a 3 out of 5. I guess I'm at a 4 out of 5 but I want to like it more? Time will tell?
cool.gif

Webster didn't lie when he said that this album is going to sound darker than the last.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #16,532 of 29,664
  order of orias (self titled), it was mentioned a while ago and it's stellar blackened death

this year gave us Teitanblood (self titled) which is an absolute monster of a blackened death album and IMO utterly destroys the last behemoth

goatwhore makes some untouchable blackened thrash/death

emptiness makes some unique, experimental black/death

craven idol does some deathened black stuff that i really enjoy

as Tom said, Belphagor is really a blueprint blackened death band, and Vader does some great blackened death also

some of Sigh's work is deathened black

if you're into some slower sludgier stuff, Lord Mantis is the unholy king of all black/doom/death

there's way more but i can't really think on it right now

I'm going to have to check some of these out. It's about that time of year, when I start to investigate the hidden gems after going after the big fish.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #16,533 of 29,664
  Webster didn't lie when he said that this album is going to sound darker than the last.

CC is an institution and the fact that many of their early works are classics being far superior than 90% of the crap they are releasing today as death metal.

They are not loved by all and never will be. Their lyrical style and content was cutting edge at the time of release and now common place in the genre. Their sound will never be copied, no one can do it. This simple fact is why they are the kings of the genre, add to that they have sold more death records than anyone.

Still no one at AMG wanted to review the record. I don't want to review the record. It may be a level of respect, or we don't want to face the fact they have changed.

I almost can't say this..........................but after playing the album all day yesterday I think they could actually take lessons from Jungle Rot.

Yep, their new invention was cool for so long, but even though I do like this record. I don't think it is 100%. I want to love it. Maybe it will grow on me. I want to learn to love it so?

They need to get back the simple basics like Jungle Rot.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #16,534 of 29,664

Listening to the new CC all day!

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #16,535 of 29,664
I would say a 3 is too low, at least go with a 3.5. I hated the way Rutan made every album sound so my excitement is partly that Rutan had little to nothing to do with production on this.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #16,536 of 29,664
For Plini / Sithu Aye fans:

https://theoyoung.bandcamp.com/album/shadowplay

Theo Young

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #16,537 of 29,664
I would say a 3 is too low, at least go with a 3.5. I hated the way Rutan made every album sound so my excitement is partly that Rutan had little to nothing to do with production on this.

I may have spoke too soon. This new album is maybe a 5 out of 5.

Something clicked with me and I'm starting to love it. Your right this is one of the best of the year. I'm on day two.

I'm really starting to get into this one, it is better than the last, maybe better than the last couple. I don't know why I couldn't get it before. All I have to say to anyone who hears it first is to give it time.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #16,538 of 29,664

Something clicked with me and I'm starting to love it. Your right this is one of the best of the year. I'm on day two.

I'm really starting to get into this one, it is better than the last, maybe better than the last couple. I don't know why I couldn't get it before. All I have to say to anyone who hears it first is to give it time.

I have to listen to this...

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #16,540 of 29,664
I have to listen to this...

It really is cool. Some of the guitar parts are the same basic tone as older songs, but they push it and go in creative new directions. Nothing boring here. Lots of technical fireworks and showmanship. This album is an example of talent just doing what it does. Don't know why AMG rated it so low. You could make that mistake, still after about 7 or 8 listens it opens up like a grand death metal story. There are tales to learn but it takes time to learn the language they are speaking. It goes in my top 5 for the year if not number one?

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #16,542 of 29,664

I knew you would change your mind. The album is on the surface very same-y, but for the dedicated Corpse fan there are nuances, tones, and guitar attacks that feel fresh. I haven't heard Webster's bass sound like that in a long time

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #16,543 of 29,664

Well then. I'm a decent CC fan so it looks like I'll be picking this one up ASAP! I'm excited 'moose....it's your fault if I don't like it :wink:

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #16,544 of 29,664
Well then. I'm a decent CC fan so it looks like I'll be picking this one up ASAP! I'm excited 'moose....it's your fault if I don't like it :wink:

Lol, don't worry. I would bet my left Denon driver that you'll love it. Though not on first or second, third or forth listen, that's the weird part.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #16,545 of 29,664
I knew you would change your mind. The album is on the surface very same-y, but for the dedicated Corpse fan there are nuances, tones, and guitar attacks that feel fresh. I haven't heard Webster's bass sound like that in a long time

Yes, new type of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back