Lets Talk Metal
Sep 12, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #16,471 of 29,650
I'm saying we are idiots (Thank you RCM)....and...this thread has a way of making you forget about your favorite band...just hang with us and I guarantee you will have this "A ha" and "Woah" and "ZoMG that is amazing" type moments.

Dude...I have been an avid metal listener for twelve years. You vastly underestimate me.

However, if you simply mean that I may discover some new music, then I would agree with you.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #16,472 of 29,650
Dude...I have been an avid metal listener for twelve years. You vastly underestimate me.

However, if you simply mean that I may discover some new music, then I would agree with you.

That makes me laugh, having my first Black Sabbath tape in 1973.

That makes 40 years of metal.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #16,474 of 29,650
Sep 12, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #16,475 of 29,650

I think I'm about your brother's age. I would put my first purchases around 77/78. Ouch! I don't even remember the first. But, it would have been generic hard rock and probably wouldn't have even known the term heavy metal.

Most like an AC/DC album up to Let There Be Rock (Power Age, High Voltage, Dirty Deeds) or perhaps, Aersosmith's Draw The Line or Kiss's Love Gun, Double Platinum or possibly Kiss Alive I.

It wasn't metal, but it was better than my percieved alternative-Donna Summers and Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack.

Had I known Motorhead's first album came out in '77, I might have thought I had seen God. But, that discovery wouldn't change my life until a few years later. Motorhead-not God
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #16,476 of 29,650
I expect I am a bit younger, but my first experiences were with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath, Slayer, Anthrax, and Morbid Angel (who I ended up not liking so much) circa 1990, and soon after I discovered Tool, Primus, Nine Inch Nails, and Ministry (hey, NIN's Wish won a grammy for best metal song in 1993, right?).

I still tend to favor that early classic Metal sound over much of the newer stuff - something about 80's Iron Maiden or Judas Priest just does it. Priest's Screaming for Vengeance or Maiden's Somewhere in Time are still phenomenal, if you ask me.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #16,482 of 29,650
Sep 13, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #16,484 of 29,650

I stand by my comments. I don't care how much you have listened to or how much I have. There is SO MUCH out there. I guarantee one of the guys in here will recommend something and you will have that "Wow" moment. Mark my words. :D

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #16,485 of 29,650

8-track or cassette?

The first album I bought was Vol. 4, in about 1975.  The first 8-track was Master of Reality.  I can still hear the tracks change when I listen to it...

anyway, I'm glad to finally find this thread.  Way too much time playing with gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back