Lets Talk Metal
Aug 26, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #16,276 of 29,662
Just heard Pale Communion. What a pretentious waste of time.

What I loved about Damnation (at least the first two tracks) was the powerful sorrowful emotions it induced. The only emotion I felt during most of this album was annoyance.

Bye bye, Opeth...

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #16,277 of 29,662
Just heard Pale Communion. What a pretentious waste of time.

What I loved about Damnation (at least the first two tracks) was the powerful sorrowful emotions it induced. The only emotion I felt during most of this album was annoyance.

Bye bye, Opeth...
Agreed. I don't get it. Prog is pretty hit or miss with me anyway, though. I much preferred Damnation, and even that I didn't listen to much.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #16,278 of 29,662
Agreed. I don't get it. Prog is pretty hit or miss with me anyway, though. I much preferred Damnation, and even that I didn't listen to much.

I have no problem with any given genre, but progressive rock rarely has an emotional effect on me, possibly due to the random (and arguably pointless) experimental passages in the songs. At least there was a good guitar solo or two.

As for Damnation, it was more focused on the expression of emotion than experimentation.

Did you hear any Soilwork albums yet, by the way?

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #16,279 of 29,662
I have no problem with any given genre, but progressive rock rarely has an emotional effect on me, possibly due to the random (and arguably pointless) experimental passages in the songs. At least there was a good guitar solo or two.

As for Damnation, it was more focused on the expression of emotion than experimentation.

Did you hear any Soilwork albums yet, by the way?

Yeah, I've listened to some tracks on spotify. As I was going through, I actually recognized quite a few from my college days. One of my best friends was a huge metal head, and introduced me to a lot of stuff in a short time. Hard to remember them all. Lol. I got sidetracked by remembering other bands we listened to at the time, like Himsa, Shadows Fall, Unearth and bodom, and took a trip down memory lame. I'll have to go back, as they were sounding pretty good, and I'll have more time to explore their discography.

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #16,284 of 29,662

prog metal band from Italy. eldritch. they are much more metal and less prog than the typical prog metal band trying too hard to be a clone of dream theater. they are unique and one of my favorite band.

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #16,285 of 29,662
I haven't heard Pale Communion and have a relatively narrow exposure to prog, and I know a lot of prog is pretty out there. I'm just amazed how consistent Stephen Wilson's output is. I have to conclude that he "does it right". I never get tired of his stuff.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #16,286 of 29,662
New Falloch track!

http://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/track/sanctuary

Not really impressed :/
What happened to the vocals? And what's with this sludge/stoner-ish guitar sound?
Hmmmm....

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #16,287 of 29,662
  New Falloch track!

http://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/track/sanctuary

Not really impressed :/
What happened to the vocals? And what's with this sludge/stoner-ish guitar sound?
Hmmmm....

i like this...

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #16,288 of 29,662
New Anaal Nathrakh!

The chorus actually reminds me of... .... .... Soilwork...? Anyway, I liked the little industrial bits. Otherwise, typical AN.

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #16,289 of 29,662
Time for Japanese metal songs used as opening and ending themes for anime series!

(I apologize for the atrocious YouTube quality on some of them. The CDs sound great.)

"Guren no Yumiya" by Linked Horizon

"Jiyū no Tsubasa" by Linked Horizon

"SHIVER" by the GazettE

"Enamel" by SID

"STRENGTH." by abingdon boys school

"spiral" by DUSTZ

"Alsatia" by Galneryus

"Cause Disarray" by Galneryus

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #16,290 of 29,662
Btw I managed to rip the multichannel mixes of Once and preserve them. The Siren didn't sound as stupid with the live downmixing. The mix overall though was really different. It's obviously not just spread across the 5.1 system from stereo or anything but the guy doing it might actually have started from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back